Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread  (Read 79170 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »

I'm almost done with Neuromancer.  I know it's a Sci-Fi classic, and I can see that it was way ahead of its time and blah blah blah, but I haven't found it to be a very engaging story.  I'm looking forward to finishing it.
I felt that It was pointless and frustrating. I didn't really get the hype around it either.

Didn't get far into it before picking up something else.

I kept picturing in my head Bladerunner type scenes but with a groovy 60's Barbarella streak (which I can't get into). I also don't like Phillip K. Dick type writing.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2010, 09:55:14 PM »

I'm almost done with Neuromancer.  I know it's a Sci-Fi classic, and I can see that it was way ahead of its time and blah blah blah, but I haven't found it to be a very engaging story.  I'm looking forward to finishing it.

2nd

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 01, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »

I finished Superfreakonomics yesterday, and it was every bit as pure awesome as the original. A total recommendation.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2010, 11:08:56 PM »

Well, I finished Neuromancer and believe I got almost nothing out of it.  Oh well.

Now I'm onto Weed Man: The Remarkable Story of Jimmy Divine.  I'm already about 25% through, and it's excellent.  I highly recommend it, and that's coming from someone whose only interest in marijuana is in seeing it legalized to increase freedom and decrease crime.

yamnuska

« Reply #259 on: December 02, 2010, 05:31:15 AM »

Watch Yourself: Why safer Isn't Always Better by Matt Hern

He's a Canadian who started writing about de-schooling, the work I've read of his so far has been great. At first I was worried because of the fancy ass covers, they reminded me of the books you get from the Mises Institute, all nice on the outside but full of shitty 1970's printing press made pages.

http://www.mightymatthern.com/?page_id=37

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 07, 2010, 10:13:52 PM »

Read Eat The Rich by P.J. O'Rourke recently. He's a funny writer, but the book was written 13 years ago, and jokes about Paula Jones, and Clinton's penis do not age well. It was a fun, light read, and the end actually made me angry. Most books don't do that, but this did. It ended on a note about economic improvement that was so simple, spot-on, and logical that the people who oppose this type of thinking just seemed evil.

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2010, 04:49:04 PM »

Read Eat The Rich by P.J. O'Rourke recently. He's a funny writer, but the book was written 13 years ago, and jokes about Paula Jones, and Clinton's penis do not age well. It was a fun, light read, and the end actually made me angry. Most books don't do that, but this did. It ended on a note about economic improvement that was so simple, spot-on, and logical that the people who oppose this type of thinking just seemed evil.

It's not the 13 years. The Paula Jones / Clinton's penis jokes were past their expiration date when I read it a decade ago. It's still a very good book...

...and the people who oppose this type of thinking are evil. It's well-intentioned evil - but still terribly destructive.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 08, 2010, 05:02:59 PM »

I'm downloading Superfreakonomics as one of my monthly Audible picks. Looking forward to starting.

Reading Leviathan with my daughter. I'm really enjoying the genetic vs. mechanical engineering and alternate history.

Just finished Side Jobs, the short story collection from Jim Butcher and Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud. If you've read the Bartimaeus Trilogy, it's so much fun to get the inside scoop on some of the demon's tall tales. If you haven't read the Trilogy - get started!

I'm about halfway through Faceless Killers, first of the Wallander books by Henning Mankell (I think that's the spelling.) Saw one of the movies on Masterpiece Theater, and picked up a couple of the books at Goodwill. I like it so far. It's bleak, but hopeful.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 08, 2010, 10:14:23 PM »

I'm downloading Superfreakonomics as one of my monthly Audible picks. Looking forward to starting.

Reading Leviathan with my daughter. I'm really enjoying the genetic vs. mechanical engineering and alternate history.

Just finished Side Jobs, the short story collection from Jim Butcher and Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud. If you've read the Bartimaeus Trilogy, it's so much fun to get the inside scoop on some of the demon's tall tales. If you haven't read the Trilogy - get started!

I'm about halfway through Faceless Killers, first of the Wallander books by Henning Mankell (I think that's the spelling.) Saw one of the movies on Masterpiece Theater, and picked up a couple of the books at Goodwill. I like it so far. It's bleak, but hopeful.

Can you speed-read while running?

I mean, if anyone could do it, I figure you would be the one to figure it out.

-Dennis Goddard

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »

I mean, if anyone could do it, I figure you would be the one to figure it out.

Anyone here know how to speed read? I am an above average reader in terms of speed and am thinking about learning the actual practice if it isn't too incredibly difficult.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2010, 10:48:22 PM »

Wish I could.  :lol:

I listen to 1-2 audiobooks each week, plus read the dead tree variety of books about 30 mins a day, plus 30 mins with my daughter.

I read pretty quickly, but have thought about trying to learn to speed read.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #266 on: December 08, 2010, 11:23:16 PM »

Method one sucks, I'm gonna try method two.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2010, 02:18:48 AM »

Be sure to read Parliament Of Whores as well. He was still a staunch Republican when he wrote it, but except on military matters he had a tendency to be correct.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 11, 2010, 04:14:08 PM »

I got the audiobook of In Defense of Food to listen to on a car trip, and it was excellent.  Not just the book itself, but the reader does it perfectly.  So I got the audiobook of The Omnivore's Dilemma because it has the same reader.  It's great as well so far, though I wish I'd listened to them in reverse. 

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 11, 2010, 07:23:14 PM »

I finished Weed Man pretty quickly (excellent read, I highly recommend it) and am now reading Blindness by Jose Saramago.  I'm about a quarter through it, and it's also very good.  You have to be able to make it past the non-English sentence structure, but once you do that it's enjoyable and a quick read.  It reminds me so far of Lord of the Flies combined with a story about a kind of "real-life" (it's fiction) prisoner's dilemma.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 32 queries.