Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread  (Read 79149 times)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2010, 08:43:33 AM »

The pre
I just finished up The Orc King this morning.  It was a very quick read.  R. A. Salvatore is by far my favorite fantasy genre writer, and his battle scenes are amazing.  One criticism I do have is that the book can get a little preachy at times.

Is "The Cleric Quintet" any good?

I had these books as an old teenager, had 100 plus, loved them, the clerical quintet was one of the few I kept, I remember it being good, I liked it better than the icewind dale trilogy because I liked the characters more. I really liked the prequels to icewind dale about drizzit living in Menzobaronwhatever, sort of femdom/bdsm like. Another good fantasy writer is Elizabeth Moon, I still have her Legend of Paksenarrion books, loved them. The fantasy I liked second best of all time was Tad Williams, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series (first one is the dragonbone chair). I have liked reading the wheel of time by Robert Jordan but now it's going on and on and on, it's not so much enjoyable as it is a chore. Roger Taylor and the Farnor books, David Eddings and his Belgariad and Malloreon series tie my number one spot along with Raymond E Feist and his Empire Trilogy that starts with daughter of the empire.

For SF I really liked the Childe cycle by Gordon R Dickson about the warrior Dorsai race. I also like Larry Niven, his ringworld books and the integral trees/smoke ring, just stay away from the man/kinzin wars books, they suck ass. The best SF I have ever read is by Ursula K Le Guin, awesome books, Left Hand of Darkness was great.

It's Drizzt!

And yeah, I think I enjoyed the Dark Elf Trilogy (the prequel) more than the Icewind Dale Trilogy.  There are a ton of other books that come after the Icewind Dale Trilogy chronologically.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2010, 08:54:44 AM »

I'm finally getting around to reading some Rand: Atlas Shrugged.

Do you think it lives up to the hype?

So far it's pretty good (I'm about 1/4-1/3 through it).  I put off reading any Rand for a long time because I'm not a huge fan of Rand as a person.

I thought it was good. Leaned too much toward pr0n for intellectual women for me, the romanticist view on capitalist men was way over the top- but I liked it.

Yeah, all the characters are very clearly either good, bad, or incompetent/hero worshipers.  Everyone is very one-dimensional.  However, I think the way Rand turns the usual conceptions of Good on their head makes up for it to a large degree.  I've never read a book where someone unabashedly praises selfishness.  That said, I would disagree with Rand (I think) that selfishness leads to this fiercely independent lifestyle.  I believe that the most selfish people frequently go into government work ;)  I'm going to go all Randroid from reading the book, but it is interesting and I'm glad that I've finally gotten around to it.  I'm also glad that I already found libertarian beliefs through economics long ago.  I would not want Rand to be my introduction to libertarian beliefs ;)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 06, 2010, 01:26:37 AM »

Dydeetown World, by F. Paul Wilson

Takes place in the same universe as Healer and An Enemy of the State and Wheels Within Wheels but is more light hearted and fun like the Repairman Jack series.  I'm enjoying it.  I like this universe a lot better than the Repairman Jack universe, but Repairman Jack is a cool character.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2010, 01:08:40 AM »

Don Quixote.

Next up: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 07, 2010, 08:56:07 PM »

I'm reading 75 books over the next 3 weeks, all kids books... I know exciting huh?  that's what I get for taking summer courses both reading related ..  I enjoy them more than I should probably.  Hatchet was a good read, and How to Eat Fried Worms made me giggle.  I've just started The Giver by Lois Lowery which is supposed to a good read for anti authority ideas for children, I'm excited about that.

For any parents of elementary- middle school aged kids, I've got tons of good book suggestions.. just fyi

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »

I'm reading The Gospel of Wealth by Carnegie, The Federalist by Adams, Jay, and Madison, a book on Voltaire and The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietsche.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 26, 2010, 01:07:43 AM »

Just finished King Leopolds Ghost. A bit heavy handed, because the author wanted to make a moral judgment about everyone, but still good.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 26, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »

Recently reread revolt in 2100 by heinlein and am now reading the epic space opera night's dawn trilogy by peter f.hamilton. It is pretty badass so far
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

sandm000

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 29, 2010, 08:05:13 AM »

House of Leaves

It's gotten to the point in the book where it's pissing me off. Literally. Non linear story, and I don't mean the time in the story jumps around, I mean the words on the page jump around.

davann

« Reply #249 on: November 29, 2010, 07:02:46 PM »

Rereading The Prince. As time allows. Once done I will follow it up with The Discourses.

It is always good to know how ones enemy thinks.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 29, 2010, 10:59:02 PM »

Autumn
David Moody

Zombies!

Pretty good.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2010, 09:08:30 AM »

Don Quixote.

Next up: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Both of those are soon on my list.

Right now it's The Winter of our Discontent

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2010, 09:29:45 AM »

I'm almost done with Neuromancer.  I know it's a Sci-Fi classic, and I can see that it was way ahead of its time and blah blah blah, but I haven't found it to be a very engaging story.  I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Brooklyn Red Leg

• The Red Legged Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2010, 10:38:40 AM »

Just started re-reading Another Fine Myth by the late Robert Asprin.
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Er_Murazor's KoLWiki Page

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 30, 2010, 06:08:53 PM »

I'm almost done with Neuromancer.  I know it's a Sci-Fi classic, and I can see that it was way ahead of its time and blah blah blah, but I haven't found it to be a very engaging story.  I'm looking forward to finishing it.
I felt that It was pointless and frustrating. I didn't really get the hype around it either.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.