Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread  (Read 79212 times)

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »

I am moseying my way thru Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,

How do you like it? I have the audiobook, and find it a bit hard to follow. Figure I might need to get the actual book to enjoy it.

it is not bad, but it just isn't making me go "omg i must read this RIGHT NOT and not move until it is done". i do enjoy the utter sillyness
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »

"The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell.  I've previously read "Blink" and "Outliers", both of which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Here is Gladwell giving a fascinating talk about spaghetti sauce, and why it's like it is today (extra chunky):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6449479356304659254#

He has one of the craziest hairstyles I've seen.

I've always been partial to Steven Pinker's hair:

Such an intelligent, handsome hobbit he is. 

ForumTroll

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2010, 12:41:31 AM »

Just finished "To Kill a Mocking Bird", again. What a great read. Scout's personality is what I imagine Rillion's would have been like when she was a kid.

Started "This Boy's Life", by Tobias Wolff, I like it so far.
Pocho

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2010, 08:41:49 AM »

Finishing up the last chapter of Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend while sewing this morning. Written by Christopher Moore. Have the audiobook, read by Fisher Stevens.

I've really enjoyed it. It's not quite as well done as A Dirty Job, the story of a thrift shop owning, single dad who stumbles into being a finder of the missing pieces of souls, but a good listen.

Then I'll be perusing Audible for the next book(s).
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

timmysoboy

• Word
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 02, 2010, 03:59:19 PM »

I shall resurrect thee, oh great book thread!

Currently working on Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, and It's blowing my mind.  Kind of a difficult read because I don't know anything about that election, but that is part of what keeps me reading.  Parts of it remind me of my very limited involvement in the Ron Paul movement.

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »

"The Motion of Bubbles and Drops in Reduced Gravity."

Oh yeah.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 03, 2010, 08:28:22 PM »

I'm finally getting around to reading some Rand: Atlas Shrugged.

yamnuska

« Reply #233 on: July 03, 2010, 09:51:47 PM »

Gunsmithing - rifles by Patrick Sweeney

U-Turn by Bruce Grierson

Dry Ice by Stephen White and Dick Hill

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 03, 2010, 09:52:34 PM »

Do you think it lives up to the hype?

Me: "Go Down Together" - 2009 book on Bonnie & Clyde, it's good.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 04, 2010, 07:30:45 AM »

So far it's pretty good (I'm about 1/4-1/3 through it).  I put off reading any Rand for a long time because I'm not a huge fan of Rand as a person.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 04, 2010, 02:53:28 PM »

Road trip reading:

The Upside of Irrationality, by Dan Areily (not sure of spelling) - listening to audiobook. It's followup to Predictably Irrational. Liking it so far.

Sourcery, by Terry Pratchett. Like it, though not quite as much as a few of the other discworld books I've read. Will move on to Wyrd Sisters next, probably before we hit Chicago.

Half Moon Investigations, by Eoin Colfer - finished it day 2 of driving. 12 year old boy with a detective's license. Whole family enjoyed the heck out of it.

The Fairy Tale Detectives - 1st book of Sisters Grimm series. So far, so good.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

NightFlight

• Beta 4
  • Who said we didn't win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 04, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »

Just finished "Hellhound On His Trail" by Hampton Sides, its about James Earl Ray and MLK. Damn good read. I'm half way through "The Sirius Mystery" by Robert Temple, its the second, updated edition. Very interesting. Waiting next is "Wired For War" by P. W. Singer and its about the evolution of robotics used in 21st century war. Too damn hot to do anything else but sit in the AC, drink a little and read.
What we have here... is a failure to communicate.

yamnuska

« Reply #238 on: July 04, 2010, 09:55:14 PM »

I just finished up The Orc King this morning.  It was a very quick read.  R. A. Salvatore is by far my favorite fantasy genre writer, and his battle scenes are amazing.  One criticism I do have is that the book can get a little preachy at times.

Is "The Cleric Quintet" any good?

I had these books as an old teenager, had 100 plus, loved them, the clerical quintet was one of the few I kept, I remember it being good, I liked it better than the icewind dale trilogy because I liked the characters more. I really liked the prequels to icewind dale about drizzit living in Menzobaronwhatever, sort of femdom/bdsm like. Another good fantasy writer is Elizabeth Moon, I still have her Legend of Paksenarrion books, loved them. The fantasy I liked second best of all time was Tad Williams, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series (first one is the dragonbone chair). I have liked reading the wheel of time by Robert Jordan but now it's going on and on and on, it's not so much enjoyable as it is a chore. Roger Taylor and the Farnor books, David Eddings and his Belgariad and Malloreon series tie my number one spot along with Raymond E Feist and his Empire Trilogy that starts with daughter of the empire.

For SF I really liked the Childe cycle by Gordon R Dickson about the warrior Dorsai race. I also like Larry Niven, his ringworld books and the integral trees/smoke ring, just stay away from the man/kinzin wars books, they suck ass. The best SF I have ever read is by Ursula K Le Guin, awesome books, Left Hand of Darkness was great.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 05, 2010, 12:00:47 AM »

So far it's pretty good (I'm about 1/4-1/3 through it).  I put off reading any Rand for a long time because I'm not a huge fan of Rand as a person.

I thought it was good. Leaned too much toward pr0n for intellectual women for me, the romanticist view on capitalist men was way over the top- but I liked it.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.