Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread  (Read 79154 times)

Chronicles

Re: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 11:32:28 PM »

I don't "read" so much lately as I listen to audiobooks, since it tends to work better with my lifestyle. I'm currently listening to Temple of the Winds by Terry Goodkind, and the storyline is lulling a bit for me. (They also changed readers, and he is pronouncing main characters names differently. Very distracting!) I intend on sticking it out, though, because I adore the characters.

I'm reading two paper books right now, and those are The Prophet by Kahlil Gabrin and Parenting with Love and Logic by Charles Fay. The former I got for Christmas and never would have found it on my own. It's a very slow read, but satisfying. I liken it to reading C.S. Lewis...you have to let it simmer and maybe even take notes. The latter I have read multiple times and continue to read. It's an excellent tool for parenting.

I received a late Christmas gift of an amazon gift certificate, and I used it to buy Live Free or Die (along with a non-library copy of How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World). I'm really excited to read it, and would love to get it autographed by Gardner. (Joy, you mentioned in another post that Gardner had streaming in the afternoon to his show. Where do you access it?)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 11:34:24 PM »

I keep seeing Live Free or Die being mentioned.  Is this a new release?  Did I miss some buzz or something?  Should I be checking this out? 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

xmonkeydr

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 11:45:02 PM »

I'm about 3/5 through Alan Greenspan's "Age of Turbulence" door stopper. The first half is a normal biography replete with namedropping and notable events that involved him.  The second half, so far, is his evidence based interpretation take on how the future may play out.  I find it a very easy read and he's a much more plain spoken writer than his statements as Fed Chair would suggest.  Part of what I enjoy is that his public life started (he was a management consultant for the first half of his career) about the same time that I have a memory of public events (the 70s) and it reminds me of things that I only vaguely recall.  Another is that, so far, I find little to disagree with in terms of his take on free markets and their role in furthering human progress vs. causing turmoil.

It took me forever to get through the last economist's book that I read - Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom".  While Hayek's book was courageously predictive of the future, I already knew how the collectivism vs. free markets conflict ended.  More importantly, I find logical argument based on assumptions and history (Hayek) less compelling than logical argument based on empirical evidence.  Obviously, Greenspan has had the benefit of time but I also think that his background in business also tilted him toward an empiricist bias. 

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 12:18:31 AM »

I keep seeing Live Free or Die being mentioned.  Is this a new release?  Did I miss some buzz or something?  Should I be checking this out? 

It's Gardner Goldsmith's book. Yes it's new.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 12:24:02 AM »

I have John Adams on my upcoming Audible.com picks.

If it's the David McCullough book, I read it last year, and it was pretty good. While McCullough thinks the world of the guy, I still have mixed feelings about Adams.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

kawaiimiyo

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 12:30:38 AM »

lol Just finished reading the book "I don't have enough faith to be an athiest" and an audiobook "The philosophy of faith and religion"

Authors?  And were they any good?

"I don't have enough faith to be an athiest,"  was authored by both Norman L. Geisler and Frank Turek.... I found it to be a pretty decent book, well-written, and brought out some nice points,

I'm Christian and my husband is an athiest, when discussing religion I find in order to talk about a certain subject you have to keep going further and further into the basics, straight down to "What is truth" and "Can truth be known"...  this book was written to first start out with those basics, and then moved further step-by-step, to cover all grounds...in addition, they did not leave out opposing arguments... there were plenty of them to be discussed....  They had plenty of resources to back up their claims/ideas,  and i really enjoyed it... this book triggered my interest in philosophy and critical thinking, which i've always been pretty much clueless about...
^_^      My husband did not really enjoy the book as much as i did, (the book after all is said and done, is pointing to christianity) but we had a good time discussing the subjects in the book together..

The latter book, I had the title wrong it was "Faith and Reason: The Philosophy of Religion" it was an audiobook in the Modern Scholar series, by Peter Kreeft  , it was a much much much*** better book than the first, and covered alot of the things the first book left out,

excellent book!!! It came from a completely neutral prospective, it wasnt trying to push any point more than the other, instead it discussed the aspects of many different religions, as well as the non-religion viewpoints.... so that people could have a better understanding of each viewpoint and decide for themselves  He brought up all the arguments for and against all of these beliefs, and then talked about why each would or wouldnt work from a philosophical perspective... 
He discussed "The problem of evil" which he claimed was athiesms strongest argument against religion,  he discussed life after death, how each religion viewed it, then took a look at it philosophically....  and brought ideas I had never even thought of before! I checked it out at the library, but I am planning on buying it soon , its one of my favorites recently, and i hate that i had to turn it in when i was on the last chapter ~.~     
    My husband also really enjoyed the book, he usually gets bored with audiobooks especially courses, and most the time he gets bored with religious discussion, but he found the book/course informative and interesting and he really enjoyed it... 

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 07:35:56 PM »

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 07:36:44 PM »

Lies My Teacher Told Me.  The American history version. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »

I'm actually reading the galley proof of my soon to be published novel.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 10:49:10 PM »

This makes me sad.  Humanity is screwed.

HARDCOVER NONFICTION  (NY Times)

Top 5 at a Glance
1. HOT, FLAT, AND CROWDED, by Thomas L. Friedman
2. THE WAR WITHIN, by Bob Woodward
3. STORI TELLING, by Tori Spelling with Hilary Liftin     <<<<<<<<<
4. ARE YOU THERE, VODKA? IT’S ME, CHELSEA, by Chelsea Handler
5. THE FIRST BILLION IS THE HARDEST, by T. Boone Pickens

Chelsea Handler's book was fucking funny.  Tori Spelling should STFU though. 
         -George W. Bush

Russell Griswold

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 10:54:46 PM »

Rebuilding Nazi UFO Aircraft for Dummies

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 12:04:35 AM »

Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett

Confessor by Terry Goodkind
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 12:11:02 AM »

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes two volume four hundred pound edition.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

mark_mnc1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 12:17:59 AM »

Im not taking it as a course but just for knowledge-"Macroeconomics and the Global BUsiness Environment" by David Miles and Andrew Scott. 

Mark

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 11:09:04 AM »

My best friends child.

Sappy chick lit. Also happens to be the extent of the English collection where I'm staying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.