Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread  (Read 79201 times)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
« on: January 17, 2008, 02:19:12 PM »

Emptied the camera, and thought I'd share my post-run-recovery-beer reading from earlier this week:

Is Live Free or Die, complete with fuzzy kid-made bookmark.
I'm only part way through the book, just read the essays on price gouging and Baby Boon, but am really enjoying it.
Favorite at this point is Approving the Message.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
Re: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »

I'm just starting Ken Follett's World Without End, the sequel to his popular historical novel, Pillars of the Earth. And, of course, I'm listening to Ian's new audio book. I just wish I could find more time to read. Or listen.

Wait a minute--I'm retired. I ought to be able to find the time!

BTW, you take a nice picture.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 03:19:35 PM »

Finally made it to the last Terry Goodkind book. Not sure where I'm going next.

I vote for more Joy pictures.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:21:38 PM »

So, would you recommend Follet's books? I'm done with the re-read of the Sword of Truth series, and the Dresden books by Jim Butcher, and am in need of new stack of fiction. I'm okay for non-fiction on my reading list for now.

My daughter takes a nice picture, but thanks. I'm just smiling while escaping for the 2nd half of mom's day out. 1st half was a 7 mile run.

----
Hey, Menger! Thanks for hosting the reception on Thursday night at the Liberty Forum.
That's where Mr. Joy picked up Live Free or Die for me.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:29:19 PM by joy »
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 03:27:23 PM »

I just finished with J. S. Mill's On Liberty.  The guy had some good ideas, but he's a bit too statist for me (defending the market only based on the needs of buyers and believing that sellers have no rights except when it comes to serving the buyers...lots of room for regulation/statism in there).

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »

Hey, Menger! Thanks for hosting the reception on Thursday night at the Liberty Forum.
That's where Mr. Joy picked up Live Free or Die for me.

Good for him. I wish he would have been the one to win the iPod instead of the ninety-year-old guy who is going to have a heart attack if he ever figures out how to use it and gets an earfull of punk rock and Doug Stanhope. I offered to buy it back from him, but he thought I was trying to rip him off.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »

So, would you recommend Follet's books?

I would certainly recommend Pillars, which is outside his usual genre of action/suspense. It's a fascinating novel about the building of a Medieval cathedral. He's not a great writer, but he does know how to create a scene. Most of his other books are well done formula fiction, mainly interesting in that he writes of strong and intelligent female characters, who are almost always the protagonists.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 07:48:48 PM by mikehz »
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

kawaiimiyo

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 07:02:46 PM »

lol Just finished reading the book "I don't have enough faith to be an athiest" and an audiobook "The philosophy of faith and religion"
 and last but not least, Got a pile of real estate investing books Im trying to dig into.....

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 07:22:31 PM »

lol Just finished reading the book "I don't have enough faith to be an athiest" and an audiobook "The philosophy of faith and religion"

Authors?  And were they any good?

bakerbaker

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 08:52:22 PM »

I read a book by Hunter S. Thompson that i borrowed from the library over winterbreak.  "Songs of the Doomed" it was called.  It was an interesting collection of memoirs.  It was my first experience with his writtings.  I enjoyed his style.  Flows well.  Very animated, albeit violent and cynical.  I'm going to try and read some more of his works--He wrote a book on the Hell's Angels that I'm sure would make an interesting read.  I'd also like to look into his short stories/fiction.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 08:58:07 PM »

I should read more Hunter Thompson. It's dropped off my radar lately, and that should be corrected.
I read The Rum Diary a few years ago. It was so.... I don't know what how to class it. Engaging and totally off-putting at the same time. In reading some of his short stories, too, I've noticed I'm almost tired when I finish.

Sycamore25

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 08:59:05 PM »

I'm currently reading an economics manefesto entitled...Deep Economy...it's for a Economics course I'm taking at Indiana St.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »

I should read more Hunter Thompson. It's dropped off my radar lately, and that should be corrected.
I read The Rum Diary a few years ago. It was so.... I don't know what how to class it. Engaging and totally off-putting at the same time. In reading some of his short stories, too, I've noticed I'm almost tired when I finish.
Hunter S. Thompson the famous motorcycle rider?  I have a collection of quotes from him but I didn't know he wrote any books!

I'm reading Moonrise by Ben Bova right now, next in line is Moonwar the sequel about liberation of the moon colony from earth government.  After that is Crisscross, a Repairman Jack novel by F. Paul Wilson.  I plan on finishing up the LaNague Federation series after that.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 10:22:04 PM »

I'm actually reading a few different books all at once.  I got that from taking college English...don't ask.  Anyway, I'm reading a humor book called Not Tonight Honey, Wait 'Till I'm a Size 6. and Lies My Teacher Told Me.  I'm on a history kick again, so I've cracked Don't Know Much About History to brush up a little bit. 

Any recommendations on history, especially American history are welcome.   :)
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 10:50:17 PM »

I'm actually reading a few different books all at once.  I got that from taking college English...don't ask.  Anyway, I'm reading a humor book called Not Tonight Honey, Wait 'Till I'm a Size 6. and Lies My Teacher Told Me.  I'm on a history kick again, so I've cracked Don't Know Much About History to brush up a little bit. 

Any recommendations on history, especially American history are welcome.   :)

I like to have a fiction and non-fiction book going at the same time. Sci-Fi and Fantasy are the main things I read in fiction, though there are some historical and the occasional mystery. Right now, it's Live Free or Die, Making Economic Sense, and Slow Fat Triathlete. The last of the fiction was White Knight (Dresden Files) and Dexter in the Dark (audiobook). I may drop back in on the Bartimaeus Trilogy (audio) - Simon Jones is an awesome narrator.

1776 is great, as is Founding Brothers. Founding Brothers starts off with the character/slander war between Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr, and goes on to the shifting alliances between the various authors and signers of The Constitution. I have John Adams on my upcoming Audible.com picks. My mom is trying to get me to read some book about Abigail Adams too, but I'm waiting for her desire to talk for hours about the book dies down a bit.

Oh! It's officially historical fiction, but Imperium by Robert Harris is pretty good. I listened to the audiobook, ready by Simon Jones. Is about the rise of Cicero in the senate... Which reminds me, Pompeii is on my short list for fiction, too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.