Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread  (Read 79174 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
« Reply #210 on: March 04, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2010, 10:04:28 PM »

Been doing some reading lately..

Currently, Bastard out of Carolina

Before that:
Blood Meridian
The Road
The Stories of Breece D'J Pancake
The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor
Crash

Crash is the only one I didn't bother to finish-no idea why it has had such consistent good reviews.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:24:24 AM by hellbilly »
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2010, 12:04:07 AM »

Dydeetown World, by F. Paul Wilson
Armor, by John Steakley
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2010, 08:48:16 AM »

Working my way through Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Read Going Postal a couple months ago, followed by Thud! and Making Money, then started at the beginning two weeks ago with Color of Magic, Light Fantastic, Equal Rites. Currently reading Thief of Time.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2010, 10:57:27 AM »

I'm reading "Atlas Shrugged" and I already bought "The Fountainhead" to read next.

I'll be trying Atlas Shrugged again. I haven't gotten through it on previous attempts. Where I find Rand's essays quite readable, Atlas Shrugged has been like trying to crawl a mile or two across the desert to get to the oasis. I know the water's there, but it's a painful trip.

The last third goes much faster than the rest.

I just finished with "Paul McCartney: A Life," by Peter Carlin. http://www.amazon.com/Paul-McCartney-Life-Peter-Carlin/dp/1416562095#noop

Today, just starting Orson Scott Card's "Speaker for the Dead."
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2010, 11:37:23 AM »

I just finished up The Orc King this morning.  It was a very quick read.  R. A. Salvatore is by far my favorite fantasy genre writer, and his battle scenes are amazing.  One criticism I do have is that the book can get a little preachy at times.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2010, 11:52:06 AM »

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintaince.
I've heard great things about this book, but haven't read it yet.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2010, 02:33:20 PM »

I am moseying my way thru Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, taking random breaks to read my Vlad The Impaler graphic novel and some Old Man Logan comics.

I have been browsing Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson but not really READING it. Was also reading some of The Rage Plague but I think my husband may have packed it when he left for his business trip.
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »

I am moseying my way thru Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,

How do you like it? I have the audiobook, and find it a bit hard to follow. Figure I might need to get the actual book to enjoy it.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

cavalier973

• You can't take the sky from me
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2010, 05:01:42 PM »

I just finished up The Orc King this morning.  It was a very quick read.  R. A. Salvatore is by far my favorite fantasy genre writer, and his battle scenes are amazing.  One criticism I do have is that the book can get a little preachy at times.

Is "The Cleric Quintet" any good?
For God and Free Trade

cavalier973

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2010, 05:04:25 PM »

"The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell.  I've previously read "Blink" and "Outliers", both of which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Here is Gladwell giving a fascinating talk about spaghetti sauce, and why it's like it is today (extra chunky):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6449479356304659254#

He has one of the craziest hairstyles I've seen.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:22:50 PM by cavalier973 »
For God and Free Trade

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2010, 09:21:39 PM »

It's been a while since I read it, but I think it was decent.  I prefer the stuff with Drizzt in it.  If you haven't read any Salvatore yet, I'd suggest starting with The Dark Elf Trilogy.  Those three books cover the origins of Drizzt and lead right into the Icewind Dale Trilogy (which was actually written first).  All of these books are high fantasy (being based on the Forgotten Realms campaign setting for Dungeons & Dragons...) and they're definitely not high brow literature, but that doesn't make me love them any less :)

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2010, 09:33:29 PM »

It's been a while since I read it, but I think it was decent.  I prefer the stuff with Drizzt in it.  If you haven't read any Salvatore yet, I'd suggest starting with The Dark Elf Trilogy.  Those three books cover the origins of Drizzt and lead right into the Icewind Dale Trilogy (which was actually written first).  All of these books are high fantasy (being based on the Forgotten Realms campaign setting for Dungeons & Dragons...) and they're definitely not high brow literature, but that doesn't make me love them any less :)
My brother reads that stuff, but I can't stand it.  Never could get into fantasy, I've always been a Hard SF guy myself.  Of course I can't get him too deeply interested in my stuff either.  Although he did love Stranger in a Strange Land, but that's kind of a more fantastic novel than Hard SF.

I've got a couple RAS books right here I never could get more than 50 pages into...

cavalier973

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2010, 10:57:29 PM »

You know who does a decent job at historical fiction?  Bernard Cornwell.  "The Harlequin Tale" trilogy is my favorite, follow it up with "Agincourt"; The Winter King trilogy is okay, too (about King Arthur--with some differences, Mordred is his brother instead of son in this version, Lancelot is all talk and no action).  The series on Alfred the Great is pretty good, too (The Last Swordsman, etc.), especially if you like stories about Vikings.  I have not read any of the Sharpe series, though, because I'm never in the mood to read about Napoleonic times.  He also has started a series set in the American "Civil War" (actually, the First War of the Southron Secession), but I haven't read those, either.
For God and Free Trade

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 31 queries.