Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  X Fold...
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X Fold...  (Read 1356 times)

Earthwormzim

X Fold...
« on: October 11, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »

At least a couple of times on the show, recently, I've heard you guys use the phrase, "x fold" where x is equal to some number.  Admittedly, your most recent usage, when you were talking about the number of snitch calls made to the IRS about tax dodgers increasing from 160 or something like that, to over 1,600 in a year, was not your fault, because you were reading the claim directly from some article.  The problem is, 160 to 1,600 IS NOT (as far as I know) the same thing as "ten fold"...which is what the article said.

"Ten fold" is actually 1,024 TIMES larger.  The reason for this can be explained by imagining you are folding a piece of paper.  If you fold it once, you have 2 portions (1 x (2^1)).  If you fold it a second time, you have 4 portions (1 x (2^2)).  And if you fold it a third time, you have 8 portions (1 x (2^3)).

Therefore, if you apply "ten fold" to 1, you get 1 x (2^10), or 1 x 1,024.  In other words, the increase in the article was "ten times"...not "ten fold".  160 increased by ten fold is equal to  163,840.

Most people probably already know this, and I suppose it's not such a big deal, but still...it irritates me when I hear people confusing "x times" with "x fold" (because they are vastly different).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:43:04 PM by Earthwormzim »

BonerJoe

Re: X Fold...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 07:18:45 PM »

I didn't know this.

Dewars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 07:28:51 PM »

Webster's Dictionary

Main Entry: ten·fold
Pronunciation: \ˈten-ˌfōld, -ˈfōld\
Function: adjective
Date: before 12th century
1 : having 10 units or members
2 : being 10 times as great or as many
— ten·fold  \-ˈfōld\ adverb

The fold likely refers to the number of times something is folded into pleats, not the number of times something is folded in half.

Main Entry: fold
Function: noun
Date: 13th century
1 : a part doubled or laid over another part : pleat
2 : something that is folded together or that enfolds
3 a : a bend or flexure produced in rock by forces operative after the depositing or consolidation of the rock b chiefly British : an undulation in the landscape
4 : a margin apparently formed by the doubling upon itself of a flat anatomical structure (as a membrane)
5 : a crease made by folding something (as a newspaper)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:31:02 PM by Dewars »

thersites

• Government Child Care
    • View Profile
    • Sandusky County Politics Examiner
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »

Every time I've seen or heard the phrase "x-fold" it has contextually been meant as a synonym of "x-times". Simply a way to avoid repetition. At no time have I ever known it to involve geometry. Looks like Webster agrees.

Sorry, but you're being officious and incorrect, and that irritates me.  Stop trying to be the smartest person in the room
"your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park" Anthony Bourdain

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-11204-Sandusky-County-Politics-and-History-Examiner

Earthwormzim

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »

I stand corrected.  Who knew that "fold" didn't have any connection to the act of "folding"?

BonerJoe

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:58:11 PM »

Who knew that "fold" didn't have any connection to the act of "folding"?

Who told you this was true?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  X Fold...

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.