Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Would America be invaded with no Federal government?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Would America be invaded with no Federal government?  (Read 11092 times)

kingjoedirt23

• View Profile
    • Facebook
Would America be invaded with no Federal government?
« on: August 26, 2010, 06:21:31 PM »

I asked a liberal type why we needed a federal government and he said the states would be taken over one by one without the U.S. being one nation. Why wouldn't this happen?

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: Would America be invaded with no Federal government?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

It has been declared this attribution is "unsubstantiated and almost certainly bogus, even though it has been repeated thousands of times in various Internet postings. There is no record of the commander in chief of Japan’s wartime fleet ever saying it."

However, that doesn't make it wrong.

"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »

Your premise is awfully vague.

What are you calling a "state"?

Taken over by whom?
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

kingjoedirt23

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »

OK, his response was "You know those guys in England? They hate us, and without a Federal institution they would take over the u.s one state at a time. There are also militia groups strong enough to destroy a state." I know this is typical American thinking that the whole world is going to attack us without the Federal govment. But in the spirit of pushing him towards liberty and "voluntaryism", what do I say to that.

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 11:20:22 PM »

OK, his response was "You know those guys in England? They hate us, and without a Federal institution they would take over the u.s one state at a time. There are also militia groups strong enough to destroy a state." I know this is typical American thinking that the whole world is going to attack us without the Federal govment. But in the spirit of pushing him towards liberty and "voluntaryism", what do I say to that.

England? Your friend is odd.

As for real threats, I wouldn't believe the hype about the glorious insurgency you guys would mount. That said if the scenario is just the U.S dissolved into 50 pieces, that doesn't necessarily mean that non-interventionist types are in charge - they would probably come to each others aid in an obvious domino scenario.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 01:32:51 AM »

The American Indians never had a government.....and it was the English who invaded. :)
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 09:40:36 AM »

Is your friend a LaRouchite? They're the only people I'm aware of who are afraid of the British...

There'd be a rifle behind every blade of grass. You think occupying Iraq was hard, just try occupying Texas.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »

Is your friend a LaRouchite? They're the only people I'm aware of who are afraid of the British...

There'd be a rifle behind every blade of grass. You think occupying Iraq was hard, just try occupying Texas.

That's assuming the occupiers are going to be nice about it.

Occupying Iraq is only "difficult" from the perspective of a culture that has very low tolerance for its own casualties and at least some reticence about enemy civilian causalties, trying to enact some fairly ambitious political objectives.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 11:40:27 AM »

Unless they're willing to nuke American cities, that's pretty much irrelevant.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

Stoker

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 11:45:54 AM »

Why would "they" use violence (like nuking cities) when they can simply get the citizenry to sign away everything they own (including the public property) by lending them imaginary money? This is exactly the position we (the whole world really) are currently in, and that wouldn't change a stinkin' bit .

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 11:58:47 AM »

On the contrary, the hypothetical assumes that it already HAS changed quite a bit. You don't get rid of the Federal government without getting rid of the popular paradigm that permits its existence.

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »

"So after the turkeys chased him back into his car, he finally made it through the gate.  I could hear him scraping the oil pan on the cattle guard all the way up at the house.  He had some trouble with that wash I've been meaning to fill in."

"Stop it Bill, you're killing me!  :lol: "

"No, I'm serious.  So the guy gets out of the car, looks at me over the fence, and then walks up to the house.  I don't know how many times he rang the bell before finally wandering over to the fence.  And, he just stares at me, like I'm supposed to stop jogging that gelding and run right over to jaw with him.

So, finally he puts his pinky out like this here, see, and says, 'that horse will look right fine with a proper saddle and the young master atop her,' or some crap like that.

And then he says...get this...Lenn, you gotta hear this.  He says, 'look here, chap, I've come for the deed and to collect the guns for her majesty.  Is the owner about?'  No kidding.  Just like that."

"So, he hasn't made it back from the blind, yet?"

"Naw.  I told him the owner was in that blind up on rattlesnake hill, you know the one we found all the wasps' nests in?  I told him the 'owner' was hard of hearing so he needs to knock real loud!"
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 12:26:19 PM »

Nothing is stopping anyone from nuking cities now.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 01:27:20 PM »

Except self-interest. Which means that to fear a nuclear attack on a free society, one would have to assume a villain who is both completely, psychotically insane and brilliant enough to pull it off. Such people only exist in comic books.

Stoker

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 01:40:23 PM »

Except self-interest. Which means that to fear a nuclear attack on a free society, one would have to assume a villain who is both completely, psychotically insane and brilliant enough to pull it off. Such people only exist in comic books.

Unfortunately this isn't true. There are people insane enough to do this, they have proven it, and they have the largest stockpile of Nuclear Weapons in the world.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Would America be invaded with no Federal government?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 33 queries.