Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Worst Star Wars Movie

Poll

So, which is the worst Star Wars movie?

I - The Phantom Menace
- 17 (40.5%)
II - Attack of the Clones
- 10 (23.8%)
III - Revenge of the Sith
- 10 (23.8%)
IV - A New Hope
- 2 (4.8%)
V - The Empire Strikes Back
- 0 (0%)
VI - Return of the Jedi
- 3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst Star Wars Movie  (Read 4560 times)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Worst Star Wars Movie
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:45:05 PM »

You get up to five votes, meaning if you think they all suck but one, or two or three, you can express that.  If you think they all suck, it doesn't really mean anything statistically, so no option for that.

Background

I decided last night to re-watch the series, and stuck in the I and II last night, and fell asleep during II.  I was sitting around this evening watching III, and it occurred to me "This is crap!  Darth Vader is a simpering moronic teen age cunt! (who somehow becomes badass)"  I searched on "anakin moron" to find fellow travelers, and it wasn't hard to find them.  I then searched "worst star wars movie," and I won't spoil it, but there's considerable consensus that all the prequels are "bad."

So, I decided to take a poll.  If this becomes a somewhat popular topic, I'll chime in with more details about my personal opinions on the whole blasted series.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:47:20 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

davann

Re: Worst Star Wars Movie
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:50:09 PM »

there's considerable consensus that all the prequels are "bad."

Yep. In fact the prequels ae the very last time I remember thinking government should have stepped in on something. This was awhile ago, keep in mind.

BonerJoe

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:53:02 PM »

I can't stand to watch any of the prequels. ZZZ...

Way too much computer graphics. IMHO, the scale models they used in the original films look realer, lol.

Riddler

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 09:07:12 PM »

''prequels''= get-rich-quick-scheme
fucker don't have enough jingle?

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »

Best to worst for me.............

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4 .Return of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. Phantom Menace (piece of crap)
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Riddler

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:11:01 PM »

throw g.father3 in there, would you please?
thx

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 08:17:58 AM »

Irena's mom came to stay with us back in 2006. She lives in the Czech Republic and had never seen any of the Star Wars movies(!)
We watched them all in order, starting with TPM. We tried to impress upon her that people waited 30+ years for the "prequels", that in the 2 years between the first movies, every kid spent endless hours speculating with their friends about ... who is the "Other One" mentioned by Yoda, who will Leia marry, is Darth really Luke's dad, yadda yadda.

Anyway, I don't understand the shit people give to Revenge of the Sith. It's in my top 3. Very cool.

But TPM and AoTC sucked ass.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 04:26:40 PM »

Having freshly watched them, I'd have to say, worst to best:

6. I Phantom Menace.  Disneyesque crap--especially the pod racing and JarJar.
5. VI Return of the Jedi.  Muppets--nuff said
4. III Revenge of the Sith.  How many times did I want to smack Hayden Christensen?
3. II Attack of the Clones.  Put me to sleep, but wasn't offensive.
2. IV A New Hope.  Was my first "best movie ever."  (now Blade Runner)
1. V Empire Strikes Back.  Managed to overcome sequelitis, and then some.

I've been pretty outspoken in the past in terms of how I feel about Lucas.   He pulls episode IV out of his butt and becomes an overnight legend.  He then interviews a million times and starts talking about how IV was the start of the middle act of the real story, and puts out V and VI.  Obviously V is good, and VI suffers from "trying too hard" and muppet silliness, but the franchise is in decent shape.

Concerned that the franchise will grow stagnant, he decides to turn the "back story" (aka the first act) into a series, and apparently still has cute on the brain, thus killing the whole franchise dead--but this is Star Wars, so he has at least one more failure coming to him.  He releases II, and at least it wasn't a Jim Henson flick, so he gets a third, which at this point is more of an obligation, both for him and for die hard fans.

Sad, really.  Apparently, the back story wasn't as developed as he wanted people to believe, and as a result, it had to be "reinvented" in that sad sort of way you see some rock bands today trying to reinvent themselves, and they look like a band trying to be them.  In the same way, the prequels tried to be StarWars, and looked silly.

Still, the first couple were innovative in so many ways, not the least of which is the integration of myth into science fiction, by way of The Force.  Look deeper into The Force, and you see pantheism, or the nature of government, or both.  Importantly, he nurtures the myth, at least from a western standpoint, in showing how the force is used for good, and how the dark side and evil work together.  Sadly, by the time Lucas gets to writing Episode I, he's writing childrens' films, and seemingly forgotten what's so great about myth--at one point entirely attempting to reconstruct it scientifically by inventing "midi-chlorians."

So it is, we saw an unbelievable spectacle in the original film, and watched him outdo himself in the second, before complacency came in, and he Jim Henson'd the enterprise.  We forgave him, though, and respected the franchise enough that when he came rolling around for more money pitching the prequels, we went to see them, almost out of duty.

I wonder what it's like to do your three best films at the very beginning of your career and then come up empty.  At least he has the tremendous businesses he built around the franchise.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:30:24 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »

I like Star Wars. Parts of Star Wars sucked.

Ewoks

Jar Jar

NOOOOOO

Midichlorians

BUT I WANNA GO TO THE ACADEMY Q_Q

etc. The bad comes with the good. S'life.

The prequels were fucked by nature, because he had to get from point A to point Z (Z being a place everyone is already aware of) and keep things entertaining along the way. Kinda hard to have your hero be a giant douchebag destined for pure evil and still have him be likable.

S'all Monday Morning shit but the flicks should have distanced themselves from Anakin and focused on Obiwan, seeing Anakin's fall from a distance, helpless against the inevitable and maybe stymied by the Jedi bureaucracy in regards to intervening.

Would have been way cooler for the whole thing to be the Jedi counsel's dirty secret and shame. "Prolly shoulda let Obiwan talk to the kid and take him out for an ice cream once in a while, huh?"
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 07:21:07 PM »

Having freshly watched them, I'd have to say, worst to best:

6. I Phantom Menace.  Disneyesque crap--especially the pod racing and JarJar.
5. VI Return of the Jedi.  Muppets--nuff said
4. III Revenge of the Sith.  How many times did I want to smack Hayden Christensen?
3. II Attack of the Clones.  Put me to sleep, but wasn't offensive.
2. IV A New Hope.  Was my first "best movie ever."  (now Blade Runner)
1. V Empire Strikes Back.  Managed to overcome sequelitis, and then some.

I've been pretty outspoken in the past in terms of how I feel about Lucas.   He pulls episode IV out of his butt and becomes an overnight legend.  He then interviews a million times and starts talking about how IV was the start of the middle act of the real story, and puts out V and VI.  Obviously V is good, and VI suffers from "trying too hard" and muppet silliness, but the franchise is in decent shape.

Concerned that the franchise will grow stagnant, he decides to turn the "back story" (aka the first act) into a series, and apparently still has cute on the brain, thus killing the whole franchise dead--but this is Star Wars, so he has at least one more failure coming to him.  He releases II, and at least it wasn't a Jim Henson flick, so he gets a third, which at this point is more of an obligation, both for him and for die hard fans.

Sad, really.  Apparently, the back story wasn't as developed as he wanted people to believe, and as a result, it had to be "reinvented" in that sad sort of way you see some rock bands today trying to reinvent themselves, and they look like a band trying to be them.  In the same way, the prequels tried to be StarWars, and looked silly.

Still, the first couple were innovative in so many ways, not the least of which is the integration of myth into science fiction, by way of The Force.  Look deeper into The Force, and you see pantheism, or the nature of government, or both.  Importantly, he nurtures the myth, at least from a western standpoint, in showing how the force is used for good, and how the dark side and evil work together.  Sadly, by the time Lucas gets to writing Episode I, he's writing childrens' films, and seemingly forgotten what's so great about myth--at one point entirely attempting to reconstruct it scientifically by inventing "midi-chlorians."

So it is, we saw an unbelievable spectacle in the original film, and watched him outdo himself in the second, before complacency came in, and he Jim Henson'd the enterprise.  We forgave him, though, and respected the franchise enough that when he came rolling around for more money pitching the prequels, we went to see them, almost out of duty.

I wonder what it's like to do your three best films at the very beginning of your career and then come up empty.  At least he has the tremendous businesses he built around the franchise.

I think George Lucas sold his soul to the devil in exchange for becoming a directer. The dick move on the part of the devil was to make Lucas Akira Kurosawa half the time, and Ed Wood the other half.

There isn't mediocrity affiliated with him, seriously. He alternates between brilliance and crap. On one hand he has American Graffiti, and on the other Howard the Duck. The man is responsible for Star Wars, and Beverly Hills Cop III, and Indiana Jones, and The Star Wars Holiday Special.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 07:32:47 PM »

S'all Monday Morning shit but the flicks should have distanced themselves from Anakin and focused on Obiwan, seeing Anakin's fall from a distance, helpless against the inevitable and maybe stymied by the Jedi bureaucracy in regards to intervening.

Would have been way cooler for the whole thing to be the Jedi counsel's dirty secret and shame. "Prolly shoulda let Obiwan talk to the kid and take him out for an ice cream once in a while, huh?"

Most definitely this or something along these lines.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 07:53:22 PM »

My first impulse was to say Phantom Menace was the worst, because it was such a tremendous letdown after getting our hopes up for something fantastic in the prequels.  But then I remembered how incredibly annoying Hayden Christensen is, and how every scene with him in it-- especially any "courting" scenes between him and Natalie Portman-- seemed about five hours long.  Add in that Revenge of the Sith was easily the best of the prequels, and my vote has to go to Attack of the Clones.

Of course, I haven't sat down and watched all of the films in order, and you can't make me until they're all available on Netflix streaming.  Even then I'll require snacks and a stiff drink.  The only one we actually have on DVD is A New Hope.  I know, I know, Star Wars fail.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:08:13 PM by Rillion »

blackie

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 08:04:05 PM »

I've only seen the first three that came out. I liked those.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 12:51:04 PM »

But then I remembered how incredibly annoying Hayden Christensen is, and how every scene with him in it-- especially any "courting" scenes between him and Natalie Portman-- seemed about five hours long.

Hayden Christensen was horribly annoying.  However, JarJar was worse, in my mind.  Maybe I was too hard on the muppets.  It's hard for me to say which is worse.

Elements of "really bad" include:

• JarJar Binks
  • Muppets
  • Pod Racing and all related Muppetry-like CGI
  • Hayden Christensen
  • Ewoks
  • C3PO, at times

Sum it up, and the cute and whiney have to go.  Frankly, I wasn't a big fan of Natalie Portman's role either.  I don't fault her; I fault the role.  Oh, and the kid who played Anakin in Episode I sucked too.  Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson made the first one watchable.

mrapplecastle

• autonomist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 01:19:46 PM »

dont be hatin on the ewoks dude
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Worst Star Wars Movie

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.