Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Why Don't Christians Kill Their Kids?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Don't Christians Kill Their Kids?  (Read 4558 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Why Don't Christians Kill Their Kids?
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »

On the Dec 17th show, I asked this rhetorical question.  If anyone wants to skip to that point, I believe it was at the end of the 2nd hour and we discussed it in the first segment of the 3rd hour.  I just saw a video that addresses the same subject with a similar, if slightly less hyperbolic, thought experiment and comes to the same conclusion.  I still think Ian and Mark completely missed my point which is made at the end of the video.  They seemed terrified that someone would interpret my rhetorical question as a suggestion and I think that prevented them from simply exploring it as a thought experiment with some degree of objectivity.  I wasn't worried.  I have faith that fundamentalist Christians don't have that kind of faith.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMaK6k4oZ20[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMaK6k4oZ20

shezmu

• View Profile
Re: Why Don't Christians Kill Their Kids?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »

Mysticism is synonymous with bullshit, and you can't live bullshit values without severely impacting one's standard of living negatively, so it's not surprising that more sane people with ideals founded in mysticism don't actually live their values.

davann

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:28:29 PM »

Some do, Dale. Have you not heard any of those stories of mothers killing their children to ensure they make it to heaven? Why don't you go an research some of those stories and come back when you feel like playing question games again.

Why is it that homos always take it to weird places? My theory is they are attention whores. Either that or going without pussy that long can scramble the noodle. In case it is the first, we see you Dale. Yes, yes. You are here and you are queer. We get it.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »

Yeah Dalebert, why do you have to post that anti Muslim vid?
You meany.

bobbysan

• Aspiring Beachbum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 06:44:32 PM »

I suppose a fundamentalist Christian could give a response along the lines of the part in the bible where Satan tells Jesus to throw himself off the cliff and his father will save him. Jesus replies something to the effect that, "thou shall not temp your god," or some such thing. I can't say that I know why the author said that but it would be my guess that it implies that god gave people a life and will and they should be used to the best of their ability to live life to the fullest that they can.

For a more practical and less religious thought on the subject...

I guess I don't really see it as a thought experiment. To say that it is a thought experiment is assuming that fundamentalist Christians don't value or have a sense of purpose in the life that they believe God gave them. Without that understanding it probably seems like a paradoxical thought experiment. Since an atheist believes that there is no spirit in the living and that there was nothing before or after their existence, why not just check in now? If this were economics, it could be explained that things have value not only at a particular place under current circumstance, but also a particular time in the future.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWW1vpz1ybo[/youtube]

I'm not a fundamentalist Christian, and the only times I've ever been to church was when girlfriend asked me to attend with her. However, I have read the bible, as well as the Bhagavhad Gita, Tao Te Ching, The Tibetan Book of the Dead, among others, and found that I interpret it very differently than the ministers of organized religion do. Is your experiment is presented from a standpoint of a challenge or as a means of trying to learn something? What bothers me more than what somebody else believes, is when somebody else is bothered by what somebody else believes. That has always lead to oppression.
The sweet pretty things are in bed now of course\The city fathers they’re trying to endorse\The reincarnation of Paul Revere’s horse\But the town has no need to be nervous

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 06:50:51 PM »

you're heavy....good point about who cares?

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 08:24:43 PM »

Why is it that homos always take it to weird places? My theory is they are attention whores. Either that or going without pussy that long can scramble the noodle. In case it is the first, we see you Dale. Yes, yes. You are here and you are queer. We get it.

You seem much more obsessed with my gayness than I am.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »

fuck it - being gay has absolutely nothing to do with this convo.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:29:40 PM »

bitch!!!

Larry Sagittarius

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »

What kind of person would take the time and effort to make a video like that?  It's weird.   It smacks of evangelical atheism, which is just as f'n annoying and juvenile as evangelical Christianity. If the point is to show how stupid Xtians are, well. . . .  hope it brings satisfaction to try and make others look stupid.  While I'm not a xtian, there are plenty of legit answers to Dale's question, and I wonder what the point is in trying to denigrate someone else's beliefs?  Seriously, what's the point?

Why don't 'pantheists' kill their children?  Why don't atheists kill their children?  Why don't polytheists kill their children?  A limited understanding of any of those ideologies might lead to the same question.

Riddler

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 10:21:33 PM »

why can't you readers-fucking-digest this shit shit for us?
ie: condensed version
for fuck sakes

oh....btw
it's only been fashionable for the radical muslims to kill their kids...or hadn't you noticed.
the rest of us ''infidels'' have better things to do with our kids.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:56:08 AM by Dragline »

cavalier973

• You can't take the sky from me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »

Why don't Christians kill their children?  Because we love our children, just as any non-Christian does, and murder is not a loving act.  Really, did you need that to be explained to you?

My Christian faith teaches me not to fear death; it does not teach me to seek it.  "Heaven" is not a place you go to when you die, anyway; it's a state of having a personal relationship with God through Christ.  So, theologically speaking, I am already in "Heaven", so there's no need for me to die to "go there".

The better question is that why doesn't God immediately translate a new believer into immortality upon the moment of conversion?  Because immortal, perfect beings cannot spread the Gospel as effectively as mortal, broken, hypocritical, humbled people who nevertheless are filled with the power of God (2 Corinthians 4:7).
For God and Free Trade

davann

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »

You seem much more obsessed with my gayness than I am.

Christians would be far less likely to counter attack you. That thing about turn the other cheek. Seeing as how I am not Christian I took up the mantle for them.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 11:38:18 AM »

Christians would be far less likely to counter attack you. That thing about turn the other cheek. Seeing as how I am not Christian I took up the mantle for them.

1) How is discussion of an idea, an "attack"?  I have Christians presenting ideas to me all the time, in the show and in person.  If I respond to their ideas with some sort of logical analysis, it's an attack.  This is a recurring theme.

2) Why did you try to make the topic of discussion gay?

Engage the discussion or don't, but this is filibustering.

davann

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »

1) How is discussion of an idea, an "attack"?  I have Christians presenting ideas to me all the time, in the show and in person.  If I respond to their ideas with some sort of logical analysis, it's an attack.  This is a recurring theme.

2) Why did you try to make the topic of discussion gay?

Engage the discussion or don't, but this is filibustering.

Maybe I am trying to stall the conversation/attack, but you are being purposely obtuse. I highly doubt your main motivation was to learn anything.

I also bet you expect far more tolerance from society that you yourself are willing to give.  Thus, the attack on your sexuality. When you are ready, maybe you could actually learn a little something from Christians and their turn the other cheek lesson.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Why Don't Christians Kill Their Kids?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.