Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Whisky- enjoyment, reviews, prohibition, anything.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Whisky- enjoyment, reviews, prohibition, anything.  (Read 24175 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Whisky- enjoyment, reviews, prohibition, anything.
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2009, 11:17:28 PM »

It ain't really unique in a specific way- just all around "good"!
I just love the name.  It sounds succulent and such.  "Tullamore Dew".  Damn I've got to try it.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2009, 11:43:14 PM »

That name'll fool ya.. the "Dew" brings on the notion of water droplets on the countryside foliage.. but it's really named after one of the craftsmen "Daniel E. Williams". Brother B is right- it's Irish (as is Powers also in that brief list).

But Brother B is incorrect, partially at least, in his declaration of authentic Scotch manufacturing. Maximizing the output of a great product is a no-brainer, however, when the marketing dept. projects an image of down-home artisan craftsmanship but in reality it's not much more than a cold, stainless steel factory.. that ain't right.

The old school touring facilities are for the tours. Whiskies are stored all over, bottled in facilities other than those that project the artisan image, and sometimes do not contain water from the region the scoth is named from. Islay scotch is supposed to contain water from only a specific region in Scotland, but at times it ain't so. McClelland's Islay is marketed as such, but it's a blend.. so it could contain spirits created from other regions.

Purists do complain of these unscrupulous, borderline devious, practices. And I thank those Scotch-snobs for exposing these crimes.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2009, 12:05:37 AM »

Budget scotch?

Clan MacGregor

This'll do the trick every time for me.  Cheap as all hell, but its got a good flavor that surprises most people I've given it to who were put off by the cheap plastic bottle.
:D

I'm still gonna try to get my hands on that Tullamore Dew, but I've got to keep my alcohol budget pretty low due to rising ammunition costs!

I found the history on the Clan MacGregor family interesting, although I don't believe the whiskey and the family are necessarily connected. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Gregor
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:09:56 AM by Admiral Naismith »
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2009, 07:41:19 AM »

No 'e' when it's scotch!

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2009, 08:33:21 AM »

Here's a question, why is 'scotch' for whisky and 'scots' for everything else?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2009, 09:11:52 AM »

That name'll fool ya.. the "Dew" brings on the notion of water droplets on the countryside foliage.. but it's really named after one of the craftsmen "Daniel E. Williams". Brother B is right- it's Irish (as is Powers also in that brief list).

But Brother B is incorrect, partially at least, in his declaration of authentic Scotch manufacturing. Maximizing the output of a great product is a no-brainer, however, when the marketing dept. projects an image of down-home artisan craftsmanship but in reality it's not much more than a cold, stainless steel factory.. that ain't right.

The old school touring facilities are for the tours. Whiskies are stored all over, bottled in facilities other than those that project the artisan image, and sometimes do not contain water from the region the scoth is named from. Islay scotch is supposed to contain water from only a specific region in Scotland, but at times it ain't so. McClelland's Islay is marketed as such, but it's a blend.. so it could contain spirits created from other regions.

Purists do complain of these unscrupulous, borderline devious, practices. And I thank those Scotch-snobs for exposing these crimes.

Depends on the brand.  Stay away from the young ones.  Don't knock blends, some blends are better than some singles. 

You can usually solve your questions of origin and production with Wiki or a little web-trolling. 

BonerJoe

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2009, 01:32:41 PM »

GET SOME LAPHROIG DAMMIT

yamnuska

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2009, 05:08:41 PM »

Seriously, Jack Daniels and other shit from the South? Are you kidding me? Malt Whiskey? Is that the shit my retarded cousin the cowboy adds coke to? Scotch from Scotland, yum yum yum. As a Canadian I am embarassed that we try to pass off shit like Canadian Club and Crown Royal as drinkable up here. Don't get me started on the fucktards that put water or coke in with their scotch, franks and beans, franks and beans. A good start towards having a good scotch is 10 or more years of aging. Not all of it is peaty or smokey either, just like all moonshine does not burn, try Italian moonshine or grappa as it is called. When it comes to Scotch you usually can't go wrong if it starts with Glen, which is actually a protected trademark, a sign of quality although Glenfiddich in my stuck up opinion is shit and has always been shit. Some good Scotch

http://www.isleofjura.com/

http://www.oldpulteney.com/home.php

Above stuff = Nice and light, stuff below is even lighter tasting although I have only had the ten year old, the other shit is fucking expensive.

http://www.balblair.com/home.php

yamnuska

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2009, 05:22:57 PM »

A kick ass beer company (in Scotland)

http://www.sinclairbreweries.co.uk/home.html

Of course as a Canadian in Alberta I like Big Rock Beer

http://www.bigrockbeer.com/#/main/home

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2009, 10:27:41 PM »

I usually stay around $20-$30 bucks for a bottle. From there prices seem to jump up to $60- so for that price I can buy two bottles of stuff within my budget that I really like, drink some now and have one stashed away.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Bill Brasky

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2009, 11:36:28 PM »

I just got a bottle of Glenmorangie 10. 

It doesn't suck.

Its very light, not too smoky or peaty.  Honey, and a slight salty tongue, it needs a couple rocks and a dash of water to open it.  Dry. 

Amusing sidenote, the bottleshop guy carded me.  I could not convince him I am almost 37.  I guess they have a lot of teenagers buying very good Scotch.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2009, 12:11:40 AM »

It doesn't suck.

Its very light, not too smoky or peaty.  Honey, and a slight salty tongue, it needs a couple rocks and a dash of water to open it.  Dry. 

Amusing sidenote, the bottleshop guy carded me.  I could not convince him I am almost 37.  I guess they have a lot of teenagers buying very good Scotch.

Hahaha, fun.  Some of those people are ridiculous, and some just don't give a damn.  A couple weeks ago I had lost my drivers license and had a hell of a time getting liquor with my stupid paper DMV temporary license, most places would just say NO NO NO NO, or not ask for ID at all.  The guy at this one liquor store though had me get the title and registration for my vehicle  to compare with my paper license, and read them for like 25 minutes before saying "okay, cool" and completing the transaction.  I was purchasing a bottle of inexpensive single malt, and a 4-pack of some black English brew.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2009, 07:13:29 PM »

We've been drinking either Benchmark or W.L. Weller Special Reserve lately.  I prefer the Weller. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2009, 12:46:33 AM »

It doesn't suck.

Hahaha, fun.  Some of those people are ridiculous, and some just don't give a damn.  A couple weeks ago I had lost my drivers license and had a hell of a time getting liquor with my stupid paper DMV temporary license, most places would just say NO NO NO NO, or not ask for ID at all.  The guy at this one liquor store though had me get the title and registration for my vehicle  to compare with my paper license, and read them for like 25 minutes before saying "okay, cool" and completing the transaction.  I was purchasing a bottle of inexpensive single malt, and a 4-pack of some black English brew.

If you're all cool, and you can roll a few miles, you should tell that guy to go fuck himself.  But its understandable if he's the last option.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2009, 01:16:25 AM »

It doesn't suck.

If you're all cool, and you can roll a few miles, you should tell that guy to go fuck himself.  But its understandable if he's the last option.

Yeah, the problem was most places wouldn't accept my paper ID for alcohol sales.  Fucking stupid Vons would even accept my passport when I finally found it.  So I lodged an official complaint with Safeway corporation and the manager called me saying he's very sorry but he doesn't want my business unless I use a state drivers license and not a passport.  Fuckin' California.  :?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Whisky- enjoyment, reviews, prohibition, anything.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.