Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Whisky- enjoyment, reviews, prohibition, anything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Whisky- enjoyment, reviews, prohibition, anything.  (Read 24208 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Whisky- enjoyment, reviews, prohibition, anything.
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:33:28 AM »

OK- reading about whisky, moonshining, distilling is a favorite pastime of mine. My lineage includes a couple of generations, at least, of Moonshiners- so that's where this interest comes from. From talking to relatives, old-timers and amateur historians in the area where my family is from- we weren't very involved in Running the product, but were renowned in making some of the cleanest and highest quality. From what my Grandfather told me before he died, cleaning the still was the most important step, and one that the lazier still operators would commonly skip. He made moonshine the very old way- what he considered an artful way- using nearly all corn and just a bit of sugar. His stories caused me to read others' recollections, and nearly all the stories eventually lead to the Revenue Man, and how Government absolutely ruined a craft that began in Scotland. The techniques were brought here by the first immigrants. (Technically distilling was probably first developed in Egypt. Traditionally, credit is given to the Scotch/Irish). Because the stories of this tradition/craft/lifestyle have been affected by the Government to such a negative degree, I feel it is a suitable topic for this forum. I don't think many people realize the sad effect of loss of culture to this degree.

I understand the process of creating "pure corn likker" and would love to see how I perform in creating my own. However, because it is illegal, and because it is a very hard process to disguise while living in the suburbs- I can only read about it and drink from the Licensed Distillers.

>no offense to anyone, but i will be deleting anything that aint about whisky on this here thread.

might seem trivial or stupid to some, but i sincerely have a big interest in moonshining/distilling.<

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 02:01:01 AM by hellbilly »
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Alex Libman

Re: Whisky- enjoyment, reviews, prohibition, anything.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:56:32 AM »

al-Quhol is stoopid.  Empty calories or (if distilled) liver damage.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:17:18 AM »

Alright. But even if you don't enjoy consuming alcohol, credit is surely due to those who discovered the techniques in producing spirits, and to the many generations of people who made the act a way of life, to the extent that it literally shaped the early formation of many different cultures. As it is now, the product is mainly produced by a lose network of independent distilleries all relying on a centralized authority granting them permission to produce the goods (and under the agreement that the Government will receive a considerable amount of the profits). Independent distillers, methods and techniques have practically disappeared in this industry just as so many others have all thanks to the regulation by the Government.

Now I know you can get behind that concept!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Riddler

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 09:29:09 AM »

makers mark is a sweeeet-as-pie bourbon.
(i'm an ambassador for them....whoop-dee-fuckin'-doo)

i have a whiskey recipe my mother gave me from her uncle in indiana.
i'll see if'n i kin locate it, then we's kin swap corn-sqeezin' recipes

NHArticleTen

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 09:35:46 AM »

It is good to learn, know, and practice the distillation process as it is extremely useful for a wide variety of applications...

In WWII the sailors distilled the alcohol out of the paint on the ship...
Guessing that wasn't the tastiest or safest stuff...
Yuck...

RAD

John Shaw!

Bill Brasky

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »

Off the top of my head, 'white lightning' moonshine is essentially corn whiskey that has not been aged.  Charcoal filtering, and the cask add the flavor - whether they're blackened or once held Sherry or port or brandy, plus the peat roasting the barley and other variables when you're making Scotch.  Of course, normal whiskies and Scotch are also produced to be in the 80+ proof realm (except for the 'cask strength' varieties), and 'Shine is pure distilled alcohol, about 170 proof.  Thats way too intense, my survival instinct makes me avoid hi-octane spirits. 

I don't particularly care for American whisky or Bourbon.  Scotch and a few Irish (primarily Bushmills - or the better version 'Black Bush') are much smoother and more drinkable.  I think its the corn base that makes it too sweet, peat and barley malt produce a mellower variety.  I like all the different varieties and snobbery that go along with Scotch, it provides a nice selection and some good conversation.

I also liked the term "angels share" the Scots came up with for the evaporation during aging.  Its a cool phrase.

Any whiskey of any variety these days, over ice in a rocks glass - no shots anymore.  And thats not how most 'normal' people drink American whiskeys, they do shots.  I guess some people sip neat bourbon, still not my thing.  Ice, glass, and Scotch. 

Lately, I've avoided whiskey altogether and been drinking Vodka on the rocks.  Flavored ones, like Three Olives and Absolut.  Cleaner buzz, and you don't stink like a fuckin drunken bastard the next day. 

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:52:23 AM »

One of my military friends recently brought a mason jar of "White Lightning Corn Liquor" 120 proof stuff that he bought at the base store, it was surprisingly smooth and looked very home made.  I guess the 1L mason jar cost him $5 flat.  I wonder what you have to do to go about obtaining a distilling license...
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Riddler

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 01:04:18 PM »

hellb.
i think you're legally allowed a certain gallonage of home brew, wine, likker ,per year/per household

Blackie

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 01:07:56 PM »

hellb.
i think you're legally allowed a certain gallonage of home brew, wine, likker ,per year/per household
Don't listen to this douche.

Riddler

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 01:10:46 PM »

well, dip me in dogshit.

http://www.beertown.org/statutes/newhampshire.htm

cocksucking feds

i would still brew what/where/how much i feel like w/out state intervention

i'm sposed ta get a permit to dig a pond
eff you, it's 1/2 dug.
i'm NOT sposed to remove fill from our farm (easement attached)
eff you; just sold $500 worth of loam yesterday
i'm sposed ta pay a timber tax on wood sales
i'll be sure to send a check right out.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 01:22:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to distill a few gallons of liquor. 

Not lookin' it up.

---

Joel, they sell legal shit in every conceivable kind of bottle.  I wouldn't be surprised to see grain in a click-top canning jar.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying shitty things about it, it would be cool to see a bottle of booze sold like that on a base.  Or anywhere.  I'm just saying it might not be bootleg booze, that might be the way a certain brand bottles their shit.

If its for sale in a store.

Blackie

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 01:25:34 PM »

Not lookin' it up.
What a cock nocker.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/5601.shtml

Blackie

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 03:53:49 PM »

Kinda gay, in a jewish way.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 05:27:43 PM »

Not lookin' it up.

---

Joel, they sell legal shit in every conceivable kind of bottle.  I wouldn't be surprised to see grain in a click-top canning jar.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying shitty things about it, it would be cool to see a bottle of booze sold like that on a base.  Or anywhere.  I'm just saying it might not be bootleg booze, that might be the way a certain brand bottles their shit.

If its for sale in a store.

Well It looks VERY Homemade, but obviously its gotta be legal for them to sell it in the government operated military store.  I wonder if they hooked up a certain someone with a liquor distilling permit for it or something.  It actually tasted surprisingly good despite its potency.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 11:35:56 PM »

The local Government Approved Liquor Store does have some - "Georgia Moon 100% Corn Whisky" (120 Proof). That one is "bottled" in mason jars. There is another legal distiller in NC that makes two varieties: http://www.piedmontdistillers.com/verification.php

I haven't tried either yet, but I will buy one soon and tell you what I think.

The last time I had moonshine was a few years ago. Peaches had been added to it, and a lot of sugar. All I tasted was "sweet", and the stuff burned all the way down, formed a puddle in my gut and continued to burn for awhile there. Can't say I truly enjoyed it.

Brasky's right- Whiskies are sometimes a mellowed out Moonshine. I can't deal with the full blown 100+ proof liquor, so I stick to this more mellow stuff.

The bottle I am about to finish off is Mcclelland's Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky.

Didn't like it much at first because of the strong Peat/smoke flavor- but after a few more tries, it's actually very good.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Whisky- enjoyment, reviews, prohibition, anything.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.