Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What Video Games Are You Currently playing?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37   Go Down

Author Topic: What Video Games Are You Currently playing?  (Read 144451 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: What Video Games Are You Currently playing?
« Reply #420 on: November 18, 2011, 01:14:31 AM »

Would you say that Lawful Neutral is the most "libertarian" alignment?

And I think true neutral would be Libertarian, lawful would obey all laws, like ones on weed :) 8)

Naw. Chaotic good is the closest thing to a libertarian alignment. Do the right thing, fuck rules and rule makers and FUCK THE MAN.

I played a character that was different than I am in real life, because doing something different than what you know and are is sorta the whole point of role playing/acting/make pretend.

Originally I played Hexus as "Neutral selfish", which is a jokey version of neutral evil. (It said neutral evil on his character sheet) He could generally be trusted but when a Big Bad occasionally threw out the inevitable offer of "Betray your friends and join me MWAHAHA" everyone would turn and look at me expectantly and I'd say "WHAT?!?!" but of course he would never betray his peeps.

After about five years of playing him that way he had a change of heart over several serious events. Had to take the XP hit for an alignment change.

Of course he was the comic relief character of the group so he never got too serious. Hexus was probably the only character in D&D history who:

1. Sold snake oil out of a wagon, only the snake oil was a phylactary and potion pre made to turn someone into a Lich. (DRINK THE JUICE AND LIVE FOREVER, YEAH, SOME BITS'LL FALL OFF BUT WHATEVS)

2. Teleported himself onto the back of a (Flying) Great Wyrm white dragon and cast Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting on it. (S'a badass spell and did 22d8+some metamagic damage.) Spell does damage by sucking all the water out of an area of effect, turning living things into beef jerky. He then proceeded to ride the now very dead dragon all the way down to the ground, climb out of the splattered mess, and yell "THE GODS ARE ALL CHILDREN AND I DARE ONE TO STRIKE ME DOWN!!!" while dancing "A little jig"

3. (Toward retirement obviously) Had an army (60,000 troops) of friendly talking skeletons.

4. Owned a huge, nine towered magic university (For all the different alignments so there'd be no horseplay in the dining room) that he one day up and decided to dig out of the ground and slap 12 Spelljamming furnaces into so he could tool around in a floating/flying magic school. It was half a mile across and blotted out the sun. Occasionally caused misunderstandings when he'd noodle into town.

5. Was married to a high priestess of Loviatar, Mistress of Pain. They basically acted like the Addams family, affable and friendly but lots of skeleton motif shit and skeletal servants and putting each other on the rack all that sorta jazz.

6. Had a kid who died at the age of five from an illness. They bound his soul to a skeleton so he could stick around. Was Hexus's wacky snarky sidekick on adventures.

7. Accidentally destroyed a fair chunk of downtown Waterdeep, made reparations with Blackstaff (Head Wizard in charge over there) and so annoyed through attitude, then flipped him an extra gold coin and winked at him, that this 30 oddish level archmage mayor president governor bossman chased him through the streets wacking him with a staff screaming for him never to return.

So anyway yeah, Chaotic Good is libertarian.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:16:19 AM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #421 on: November 18, 2011, 01:50:29 AM »

I agree that Chaotic Good -can be- Libertarian. But so are several other alignments. LG? Well what if your laws are set in stone family rules (N.A.P. and other libertarian ideas?).  Same for LE.  CN is someone who just wants to be free from repression.  NE is more tough to fit into the ideas of libertarianism however.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #422 on: November 18, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »

Would you say that Lawful Neutral is the most "libertarian" alignment?

And I think true neutral would be Libertarian, lawful would obey all laws, like ones on weed :) 8)

Naw. Chaotic good is the closest thing to a libertarian alignment. Do the right thing, fuck rules and rule makers and FUCK THE MAN.

I used to think of lawful as contrary to libertarianism, but it's open to a lot of interpretation. Someone who sees the NAP as the highest law of the land could look at most leaders, just as we do, as tyrants violating the universal law. And you could lean either way. A lawful neutral libertarian character might be obsessive about the nap. A little girl steps on his flowers and he blows her away feeling completely justified. A lawful good character would be promoting charity and chivalry and all that shit, but strictly unwilling to violate the NAP in his tactics. A lawful evil character might be Satanish, making deals with people and never ever telling a lie or using violence, but always out to exploit contracts for his personal benefit and resorting to the NAP for his defense after screwing someone, pulling out mounds of paperwork, witnesses, etc. to show that he's clean as a whistle as far as the law goes.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #423 on: November 18, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »

We played a fairly conservative campaign (No Monty Hall bullshit) and I retired Hexus Dominar at the ripe old level of 24.

My first campaign was fairly munchkiny, sadly. I knew it at the time too and even tried to address it with the DM on multiple occasions. I was introduced to D&D by a VERY conservative DM who educated me about munchkin gaming early on. This was a campaign where I was sighing a lot but ultimately I bit the bullet due to such limited choices.

The main story arc of the game was about obtaining certain very powerful artifacts, so powerful that they ended up defining everything about your character. Your choices in the game seemed almost incidental. I kept somehow missing the games when they would actually find the artifacts so I was the last character in the game who wasn't weilding some obscene item. I ended up being given the opportunity to become a bard in addition to being a magic-user which was a house rule of the DM regarding multiple classes and I quickly accumulated levels as a figher, thief, and then finally a bard. I was a fairly obnoxious character who could do a little bit of almost everything to not have an all-mighty artifact.

I was CG, and I recall expressing repeatedly how much I hated lawful alignments. It just felt insanely restrictive like wearing a corset or something. So then the DM introduces the fucking STAFF OF LAW, the most munchkiny and obnoxious artifact he has ever created. Guess who got the insanely powerful artifact that, right off the bat, changes your alignment to fucking lawful neutral!

I swear to you this DM just liked to fuck with me. He would push me as far as I would let him and then finally give in by leaps and bounds to keep me from quitting his game. I swear my teen years were a lesson in fully participating in my rights to free association. I felt like these were the only friends I would ever have. It was painful to finally admit that these weren't relationships worth putting effort into keeping. They are maintained almost purely for nostalgic reasons, and the DM passed from cancer some years back.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #424 on: November 18, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »

For any of you who might want to know, I'm pretty sure that the full version of Minecraft will be released this afternoon.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

SonicThePorcupine

• The gloves are on, time to check your prostate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 18, 2011, 01:38:02 PM »

Yeah, Minecraft is cool. There should be a liberty server or something.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #426 on: November 18, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »

Quote from: Dale

A lawful evil character might be Satanish, making deals with people and never ever telling a lie or using violence, but always out to exploit contracts for his personal benefit and resorting to the NAP for his defense after screwing someone, pulling out mounds of paperwork, witnesses, etc. to show that he's clean as a whistle as far as the law goes.

<<  Cracks a smile, sips coffee.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #427 on: November 18, 2011, 03:27:37 PM »

Anyhoo..

Skyrim, day three:

I kicked a lot of ass last night.  The body count is racking up.  I'm at level six from side missions, defeated a lot of bad mofo's in dark places, and got some enchanted broadsword that ruins your day.  Its pretty awesome.

I'm stacking all my level-ups and perks on the armor and one-handed fighting, and shield.  Since I'm all thumbs it helps prevent getting smoked by little girls and big rats.

Starting to tweek to how the maps work directing me to missions, so I don't spend forever wandering aimlessly in the woods. 

I liked Mel's comment about how she bought a house, I gotta look into that.

I'm gonna start leveling up onto the magic side a little bit now.  Maybe every other one. 

latebloomer

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 18, 2011, 04:02:35 PM »

The houses are great (I have 1 but you can have 5-7 (not sure of the number)). Being allowed to buy one is a quest reward. Since vendors are limited as to how much cash they have on hand, and don't buy everything, you can run home between gigs, dump everything in a chest, and deal with it later. Mine (in Whiterun - go see the Jarl) came with a housecarl (body guard) who goes with me on quests. She's pretty decent with a bow and one-handed/shield. She also serves as a packmule - you can make her carry up to about 300 pounds minus whatever she's equipped with.

It's an investment that can help you make more money because you can empty your packs and go back out, then deal with selling whenever. Once you upgrade the house (do it in stages, room-by-room) you get extra chests, dressers, etc., plus bookshelves, so you can sort your stuff accordingly. I'm a packrat, and this is the best thing EVER for me. I get a bunch of ingots or gems, I don't want to carry them everywhere. I want to have them when I feel like smithing. Now I have one chest that's just smithing supplies, one for apparel I'm not sure about, one for weapons, one for ingredients (you can get an alchemy room).

I don't know which way to turn with perks right now. I want to enchant, because I made a soul trap sword and it kicks ass and I want to do serious enchantments, but I want to smith and be able to improve already-enhanced weapons and armor. I also like lockpicking a lot.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark." - Lord John Whorfin

Bill Brasky

« Reply #429 on: November 18, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »

The houses are great (I have 1 but you can have 5-7 (not sure of the number)). Being allowed to buy one is a quest reward. Since vendors are limited as to how much cash they have on hand, and don't buy everything, you can run home between gigs, dump everything in a chest, and deal with it later. Mine (in Whiterun - go see the Jarl) came with a housecarl (body guard) who goes with me on quests. She's pretty decent with a bow and one-handed/shield. She also serves as a packmule - you can make her carry up to about 300 pounds minus whatever she's equipped with.

It's an investment that can help you make more money because you can empty your packs and go back out, then deal with selling whenever.

That is cool.  I'm gonna name my bodyguard George Carlin, because he comes with a Place For My Stuff.

I'll be studying the enchanting more in depth later, once I'm not so nooby. 

All of this vernacular is very foreign to me.  I never liked the D+D stuff, so a lot of the concepts aren't immediately recognizable.  Like, John probably "gets it" quite easily.  I don't. 

It sorta reminds me of the Afghan war, and VietNam, not knowing who is the enemy because it's all in a foreign tongue. 

But doing two-fisted Frost, at level nine-thousand..  Fuck Yeah. 

At this point, I'm still reeling with the controller.  I get into a fight and it starts going all nuts because my hands aren't doing what my brain says.  I look at the skill of the YouTube fights with pure awe. 

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 18, 2011, 07:19:26 PM »

Anyhoo..

Skyrim, day three:

I kicked a lot of ass last night.  The body count is racking up.  I'm at level six from side missions, defeated a lot of bad mofo's in dark places, and got some enchanted broadsword that ruins your day.  Its pretty awesome.

I'm stacking all my level-ups and perks on the armor and one-handed fighting, and shield.  Since I'm all thumbs it helps prevent getting smoked by little girls and big rats.

Starting to tweek to how the maps work directing me to missions, so I don't spend forever wandering aimlessly in the woods. 

I'm gonna start leveling up onto the magic side a little bit now.  Maybe every other one. 

I'm playing basically the same style as you are.  I have a sick ass bow too, but my archery level is only like 23 and my one handed is 52!  So it's no question that I'm going to charge in dual wielding a war axe and a mace, or a shield.  I have my orc all pimped out in custom crafted heavy armor too.  I feel like I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to refocus on some of my weaker skills though so I can keep levelling quickly (I'm at level 15 right now).  Now I gotta find another dragon to slay so I can activate another shout spell, this one is fire breathing.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #431 on: November 19, 2011, 07:59:53 AM »

Anyhoo..

Skyrim, day three:

I'm playing basically the same style as you are.  I have a sick ass bow too, but my archery level is only like 23 and my one handed is 52!  So it's no question that I'm going to charge in dual wielding a war axe and a mace, or a shield.  I have my orc all pimped out in custom crafted heavy armor too.  I feel like I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to refocus on some of my weaker skills though so I can keep levelling quickly (I'm at level 15 right now).  Now I gotta find another dragon to slay so I can activate another shout spell, this one is fire breathing.

I swear I replied to this and now its gone. 

Maybe I started browsing tabs and fucked it up.

SonicThePorcupine

• The gloves are on, time to check your prostate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 19, 2011, 01:01:42 PM »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #433 on: November 19, 2011, 04:35:15 PM »

Check this out.

ORGASM. Too bad I'm already really active in a server. Well, I suppose I can split my time.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #434 on: November 21, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »

It's not what you think.

"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What Video Games Are You Currently playing?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 33 queries.