Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What torrent tracker should we use?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What torrent tracker should we use?  (Read 4312 times)

BonerJoe

Re: What torrent tracker should we use?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 11:18:57 AM »

Why not just run your own tracker?

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »

Just found out about http://openbittorrent.com/

Read more about it here: http://torrentfreak.com/openbittorrent-tracker-muscles-in-on-the-old-pirate-bay-090705/

I think this might be an even better solution.

That looks good - I'll try it next month, thanks!
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 12:58:26 AM »

torrentz is not a tracker, it is a search engine.
I will certainly keep my eyes open for openbittorrent as it looks very promising.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 01:26:30 AM »

torrentz is not a tracker, it is a search engine.
I will certainly keep my eyes open for openbittorrent as it looks very promising.
It's a meta tracker, it tracks all the trackers, so you can load all the trackers tracking your torrent into utorrent.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 01:43:29 PM »

They plan to pull all pirate stuff from the site and only offer paid-content.

Omg, the evil fucking bastards! I pirate because there is no way for me to pay for the films and TV shows I like. Why you guys over there, with your Netflix and your Hulu and your whatnot would prefer to pirate, I have no idea. The moral thing to do is to pay for the entertainment you appreciate.

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 08:22:56 PM »

Omg, the evil fucking bastards! I pirate because there is no way for me to pay for the films and TV shows I like. Why you guys over there, with your Netflix and your Hulu and your whatnot would prefer to pirate, I have no idea. The moral thing to do is to pay for the entertainment you appreciate.

I tend to agree with you, HOWEVER....in the case of the music industry (and to a lesser extent the movie industry), the crap far outweighs the good stuff that is being put out.  This is no different than making a tape in the 80's and passing it to friends.  Nothing is stopping anyone from paying for the stuff.  The Recording industry makes more money on a CD sale than the artist does.  It costs $10 + to see a movie in the theater and $20 to own it.  With the crap that gets churned out, I can see why so many people pirate.  There's countless examples of artists who have gone to providing their stuff online for free and also offered pay or donate versions and have made more money than if they just stuck to CD's.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 10:16:34 PM »

It's not a matter of me not wanting to pay for it, it's that I want to try it before I buy it. When I download stuff, I listen to/watch it, then if I like it, I buy it. If I don't, I delete it. It's no different, morally, than borrowing a CD or watching a movie at a friend's house.

And even so, if the music and movie publishers charged a market price for their stuff instead of a massively inflated price supported by the government, I'd probably buy first anyway. Piracy would be a fringe activity if the entertainment industry responded to their customers. But they don't, not even a little bit.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 10:23:49 PM »

Actually, you can find a whole lot of movies for sale for $10 to $15.  I have done so at Circuit City and Wal Mart many times.. if you are taking a date to the movies, it's almost always cheaper to buy the damn thing on DVD, not to mention rent it (I use redbox $1 rentals!!!!)

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »

Actually, you can find a whole lot of movies for sale for $10 to $15.

Yeah, old ones that nobody watches.

The Red Box is a cool idea though. Unfortunately the lines for them are always intolerably long, so I've never used one.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

Hideaki769

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »

Not evil. They bought it so it's theirs to do with as they please. I doubt anyone will stay though and they'll probably fail. Just move on there are other torrent sites and plenty of ways to spread data around on the internet.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 11:51:43 PM »

I pirate because there is no way for me to pay for the films and TV shows I like. Why you guys over there, with your Netflix and your Hulu and your whatnot would prefer to pirate, I have no idea. The moral thing to do is to pay for the entertainment you appreciate.

They don't have stores there?

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 01:13:45 AM »

I pirate because there is no way for me to pay for the films and TV shows I like. Why you guys over there, with your Netflix and your Hulu and your whatnot would prefer to pirate, I have no idea. The moral thing to do is to pay for the entertainment you appreciate.

They don't have stores there?

He lives in Norway. The taxes are extremely high there (enjoy your welfare state).

I pirate because it's something I want and I don't see it as any different than going to a library or getting it from a secondhand shop or whatever.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 01:40:06 AM »

I've looked into starting my own liberty-oriented tracker site once...

In the end, just didn't have the time... 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What torrent tracker should we use?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.