Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What shouldn't need to be said....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What shouldn't need to be said....  (Read 13626 times)

Ecolitan

• View Profile
What shouldn't need to be said....
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:43:43 PM »

I think freedom is wonderful.  Not just because it is morally correct but also because it works.  It doesn't solve all the world's problems, but it does a better job of it than Tyranny.  

Lots of ideas are batted around here.  Over the years there have been countless discussion that have turned very angry.  People with radically different opinions who are very passionate them.  In other places in the liberty movement I've seen references to some of those and I've seen people express opinions that I know were heavily influenced by some of the most tumultuous and unfriendly of debates here on this BBS.  There are topics that almost all we old-schoolers agree on that at one time we didn't, we argued about them endlessly, we made headway.  Or we all understand all sides of it where at one time we didn't.

Freedom isn't pretty.  Your neighbors will do things you don't like.  If you love freedom you're willing to deal with that.  You will defend their right to do it.

Central control is fail in all things.

Libman had wonderful things to say.  He was also an ass.  Did he really get out of line w/ anyone here except those (especially one) that were aggressive towards him?  Never that I know of.  

Dragline was obnoxious and rude, he drove conversation, he was funny.  Trillian liked him (she's a girl, we like those).  He was right about one thing...

Avshae....  Trillian said she got bored w/ the BBS when Avshae was banned.  He was uninteresting but he inspired great retorts.  Things that taught her a great deal about liberty.  Avshae threads = what Trillian knows about liberty that I or SchoolSucks podcast haven't covered.

Bill Grennon would have been banned by Today's Shaw.  I believe then's Shaw would have banned him.  He was more persistent than Avshae and Avshae is gone.  A LOT of people fine tuned a LOT of principles over his threads even though he was almost universally hated.  AND....  I made a brilliant post about Richard's Ass being not labor based property but an equal access right.  Who would have wanted to miss that?  (literally it could be construed as encouraging rape and used as an excuse to ban someone)

When you go trying to force people to communicate in a manner acceptable to YOU, you prevent them from communicating in the manner most comfortable to THEM and that makes it harder for them to convey their ideas.  

When you attack dissenters out of fear of them "trolling".  You destroy the valuable interaction and learning that would come from doing nothing at all and allowing things to unfold on their own.  They are a means for people to hone their ideas and perfect their delivery of them, and MAYBE to learn something new or see it from a different perspective.  It detracts from the overall knowledgebase and it causes people to fear saying what they are truely thinking.

For radical ideas to form and be perfected they need a place where radical things can be said without fear.

There is a whole internet for formalized discussion.  I NH Free Press = some revolutionary rag...  FTL BBS = Samuel Adams pub.  Where motherfuckers can mouth off drunkenly about things you could not say in public and revolutions are born.  (I don't know how it was like there.  I just like to think of it that way)

Freedom works.  It's not pretty.  An FTL BBS moderator should understand these things.  Should use their powers as an absolute last resort and always regretfully, with a sad heart.  Never in anger.  NEVER without a clear violation of the ToS that leaves them no other choice.

Neither of these guys have any respect for the magic that is made by this place being absolutely as free as possible.  If they did it would not have come to this.

Let John Shaw keep doing what he does as a regular user.  Let him NOT use the ban button over it.  He doesn't love freedom enough to allow this place to be great again.  Neither of them do.  If Dragline goes.  John Shaw should go over his body bag comment.

That means some people are gonna say some shit that's really fucked up....... So...  So fucking what?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:46:35 PM by Ecolitan »

Bill Brasky

Re: What shouldn't need to be said....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »

Maybe you got trolled. 

Ever think of that? 

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:00:46 PM »

That's the lamest shi...... deep breath.

You are continuing to be dishonest.  Those people are really gone and you really said the things you said about changing posts so people are carrying baggage they don't know they have and about.  You really said that about people saying things that "make this place look bad" as if that is something that should be a concern for a moderator.

Maybe you owe us all an apology.  Did you ever think of that?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »

John Shaw should go over his body bag comment.

I didn't make a body bag comment, I responded to one by pointing out how stupid it looks when a person throws threats around at a forum mod.

Dragline - "YOUSE GONNA NEED A LOT OF BODY BAGS UP IN HERE."

Me - "Naw, just the one."

That ain't a threat, pucker buns. It wasn't even a treat when I told him "You've got one more chance to knock it the fuck off."* It was about the absurdity or a message board user going up against a message board mod. But you already know that.

You know that, and it doesn't fit the scenario you're trying to build, one where you can be endlessly fling abusive toward me and I have to take it up the asshole and smile. That's the only paradigm you will find acceptable.

So keep yammering away, yapping dog. Yap and yap and scream and call names and attack me until the end of time. You'll neither be banned** nor will you get to stand there and claim being a just person. You are the person who is calling names, and you are the person slinging mud. You are the bad guy. So jump up and down and tell everyone lies about how I take government money until your balls fall off from the stress and good luck to ya. I'll just quietly poke my head in occasionally and drop facts that show that your are a lying sack of shit.

*It wasn't even a threat when I decided to say "Fuck it." and not let him have the chance to abuse me any further.

**Unless you violate the TOS of the BBS I suppose.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:10:15 PM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »

Maybe you owe us all an apology.  Did you ever think of that?

Huh. Ironic.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »

I have no idea if you take government money.  Except that up until now you didn't deny it and didn't include it in the previous list of lies.   Leads me to believe you do.  I have no evidence.  I don't wish to imply that I do.

Yes I'm the one using words you don't like.  You're the one using the ban button cuz your feelings got hurt by someone you have egged on for months...years?  prolly years.  You made him.  You're not different than him.

BonerJoe

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 09:14:51 PM »

You should be banned.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 09:16:14 PM »

I have no idea if you take government money.  Except that up until now you didn't deny it and didn't include it in the previous list of lies.   Leads me to believe you do.  I have no evidence.  I don't wish to imply that I do.

Actually I denied it the first time you said it by calling you a liar. But you already know that. You know that and you choose to "Believe" otherwise because it suits your "I'm not the bad guy when I call nasty names for no reason." paradigm.

Yes I'm the one using words you don't like.  You're the one using the ban button cuz your feelings got hurt by someone you have egged on for months...years?  prolly years.  You made him.  You're not different than him.

Dude, before last week I'd barely even interacted with him. Maybe two dustups that lasted a post or three ever? I didn't even know he was "Riddler", another name I'd rarely ever interacted with. Check yer fucking facts. You look really really stupid right now.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 09:23:22 PM »

You've been back and forth with him for years.  Read my sig.

No... I didn't see you deny it the first time or I wouldn't have run with it.  I was on my phone some.  posting hurriedly

I know BJ that you think I should be banned.  You banned Avshae and put a stop to Trillian's only source of real life grass-roots liberty rhetoric.  For, far as I can tell, being someone that nobody liked.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 09:31:23 PM »

No... I didn't see you deny it the first time or I wouldn't have run with it.  I was on my phone some.  posting hurriedly

Good work there. Very thorough. Total reason to justify a dozen odd public accusations of being a government welfare queen.

"Aw gee, I musta missed that, I wuz on duh phone."

Like I said, you're looking really really stupid right now.

As for Riddler/Dragline, you are incorrect. You go through and dig up evidence of a bunch of epic battles that lasted a bunch of posts, or say, more than twenty minutes and three posts, or please shut the fuck up.

I'll quote you at this point - "You're better than this."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:41:12 PM by John Shaw »

BonerJoe

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 09:50:46 PM »

BJ that you think I should be banned.  You banned Avshae and put a stop to Trillian's only source of real life grass-roots liberty rhetoric.  For, far as I can tell, being someone that nobody liked.

Now that I know I upset her, it makes it all the more worthwhile I got rid of that zionist troll.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »

BJ that you think I should be banned.  You banned Avshae and put a stop to Trillian's only source of real life grass-roots liberty rhetoric.  For, far as I can tell, being someone that nobody liked.

Now that I know I upset her, it makes it all the more worthwhile I got rid of that zionist troll.
I still don't understand why he was banned.  I didn't agree with him on several topics, but I don't see why he was banned.  I really don't agree with banning people for having different opinions.  I do agree with banning people for being total douchebags though.  But he wasn't one.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

BonerJoe

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 10:19:56 PM »

lol

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »

I take it you leave your home's doors wide open when you sleep at night, yes? Wouldn't want to centrally plan those homeless guys shitting on your couch or anything.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 11:40:43 PM »

"You're better than this."

Believe I said: "Well John, (or well...john,or something) I thought you were better than that."

I did.

I think a lot of my immediate outrage is a couldn't believe none of the OP needed to be said.  It was all assumed.  A long time regular on the forum must be aware of all that and choose to blatantly disregard it.  It is baffling to me.

Maybe you got trolled.

Ever think of that? 

Obviously I've attended the John Shaw School of Trolling for some time now.

I certainly recognized the "you're a troll troll" method.  That's what he's best at.

There were some ad-hominems, specially unlocking the thread just to point out I'm stupid cuz I used the wrong thar.  That was a little silly.  There was the misdirection and the cherry picking.  I try not complain so much about the cherry picking cuz there's just not enough time to say everything and you've got to have priorities.  There was some strawman action.  Yeah, we all got 'trolled'.

I am aware it's common knowledge you can get me worked up and use it to your advantage.  I would be ashamed of John Shaw if he failed to have some degree of success in that.  He is a professional Flame Warrior after all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What shouldn't need to be said....

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 33 queries.