Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of motorcycle should I get?  (Read 42070 times)

Ecolitan

• View Profile
Re: What kind of motorcycle should I get?
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »

No offense, but I highly doubt you're skills are past the limits of the GS500.  I really highly doubt it.

None taken.  Exactly what I wanted to hear, cheaper that way.  Imma read the rest of the post now.

The heavy bt45 has bad turn in,

I feel as if my turn in is very poor, at least partially due to balls.  Always doing more accelerating through the turn cuz I turned it too slow.  I trail brake.  With both brakes.  Not every time.  I feel like trail braking is an invaluable tool in real world traffic situations.  I can come off the brakes and onto the gas just short of the apex in a manner I think is very rewarding and makes me feel all yummy inside.  I'm pleased with my Sport Demon rear.  Next imma put on this tire in my shed on the front I expect.  Then I'll be ready for a full set when it's had it.  My bt45 has extremely even treadwear across tire.  
First with regards to suspension

Kieth Code taught me to adjust Sag (on the interwebs).  Now I just need him to send over his 2 friends to hold the bike and measure.  Have to change the size of the spacer on the forks :(  I was just in there.  

Not so sure I wanna spend new Cartridge money on this bike.  I know what I need is suspension and grip not power.

the rest
cool

By the way:  I think it is absolutely indefensible what John Shaw did and How Drifter handled it.  I am truely disappointed in my fellow BBS members that they don't care.  People used to care.  A lot of great things that have come from this BBS never would have happened under Shaw/Drifter rule.

I think bad actions are immeasurably worse than bad words.  I think anyone who could say this:
I know where you go, what you review.  If you typically review your posts to page three, I'll start fucking with your posts on page four.  And you will be ultimately be dragging a wagon-load of the most damaging shit you've ever imagined.  

Without feeling absolutely horrid inside is a terrifying person to have moderating.  

So uh....  what about tire size?

I don't think I realized how soft that first bit of the proggressive springs are on turn in.  I'm a little guy and the mechanic never asked what I weighed.  (I failed to reassemble them and took them w/ springs to a guy).  I expect I will counter it with some front brake to load'em up for now.  I should gone ridin before I made a screwdriver :(

more editing:
I do not trail brake with anything like racetrack force.  I practice emergency braking and all but when I'm out riding recreationally braking isn't something I experiment w/ the limits of for a lot of reasons. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:54:40 PM by Ecolitan »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »

I saw the perfect bike the other day, I donno what kind it was.  It was a "classic" shape, basically like a Harley Sportster. 

Might've been a Star or one of those that I'm not familiar with. 

What I liked about it was the posture.  The grips were exactly perfect.  You weren't doing a push-up riding it.  You sat on your ass.  It looked like it practically drove itself, and you were just holding the go-handle. 

Nice bike.  Had a pretty good burble to it.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »

Donno if y'all noticed but Easyriders magizine turned 40 a couple months ago. I got the anniversary edition and absolutely loved it. A lot of old articles and pictorials of events and the suicide bikes they "built" in the 70's. (plus hippie chicks lotsa hippie chicks...)
http://www.easyriders.com/

Bill Brasky

« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »

Donno if y'all noticed but Easyriders magizine turned 40 a couple months ago. I got the anniversary edition and absolutely loved it. A lot of old articles and pictorials of events and the suicide bikes they "built" in the 70's. (plus hippie chicks lotsa hippie chicks...)
http://www.easyriders.com/

David Mann is the man, man. 

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »

His work too. Mostly the self portraits with the double pistel grip stretches. God, those bikes must have been awful to ride.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »

I'm absolutely in love with this motorcycle. It's for sale nearby, I don't have the funds--nor want a GXSR  but it sure is pretty.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »

Anybody else see the Pala AMA National Motocross season finale?  Amazing race.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2011, 12:46:10 PM »

Im seriously giving some thought to buying one of these pretty soon. Havent owned a bike since I was 19 and am still thinking about it.

If I decide to get one, this is it. I dont even like Harleys...... not my style, but this one is pretty cool looking I think.

or maybe an old BSA..... I dont know. Too much upkeep I'd think.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:51:34 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »

so, you won't let me log in from my droid?

Seriously, Mike - Harleys are fun as hell.  Don't listen to the hype from jap riders../.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »

I love 60s and 70s bikes. I think sourcing parts for those old BSAs is the harder then working on them. Make sure you check out that old bike club I linked to a few pages back.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2011, 02:21:38 PM »

Seriously, Mike - Harleys are fun as hell.  Don't listen to the hype from jap riders../.

Ya, thats the thing. I'm not really into crotch-rockety bikes, so the jap bikes are out of the question. I dont like being all hunched over on a long trip, and I dont really like the typical Harley look either. Im a weird cat when it comes to bikes, but that Harley pictured above is a pretty nice looking bike and sits upright as well......... its different . Perfect balance for me I think.

I do like the look of those old BSA's, but im not really into monkey-wrenching and scouring the web for needed hard to find parts unless its out of necessity, so the Harley is probably the one to go with for me.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:27:00 PM by quickmike »

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2011, 02:37:17 PM »

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2011, 12:18:40 AM »

Seriously, Mike - Harleys are fun as hell.  Don't listen to the hype from jap riders../.

Ya, thats the thing. I'm not really into crotch-rockety bikes, so the jap bikes are out of the question. I dont like being all hunched over on a long trip, and I dont really like the typical Harley look either. Im a weird cat when it comes to bikes, but that Harley pictured above is a pretty nice looking bike and sits upright as well......... its different . Perfect balance for me I think.

I do like the look of those old BSA's, but im not really into monkey-wrenching and scouring the web for needed hard to find parts unless its out of necessity, so the Harley is probably the one to go with for me.
That's what Sport Tourers and Adventure bikes are for.  Check out the KTM 990 SM-T or the Suzuki V-Strom or the Kawasaki Versys.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2011, 12:40:45 AM »

That KMT and the Kawasaki are pretty cool looking I gotta say. Didn't really care for the Suzuki though.

Im pretty much a dummy when it comes to bikes...... never even heard of KMT before..... cook bikes, so maybe I should look around more before jumping into something like an idiot.

I'm trying to buy one before spring so im more likely to get a better deal on something, so I cant wait too long if im gonna do it. Dont want to spend a shitload of cash, so im most likely gonna go used. Guess I'll scour craigslist and Ebay Motors for some deals just to get an idea what shit goes for. Thanks for the suggestions dude.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2011, 01:24:01 PM »

That KMT and the Kawasaki are pretty cool looking I gotta say. Didn't really care for the Suzuki though.

Im pretty much a dummy when it comes to bikes...... never even heard of KMT before..... cook bikes, so maybe I should look around more before jumping into something like an idiot.

I'm trying to buy one before spring so im more likely to get a better deal on something, so I cant wait too long if im gonna do it. Dont want to spend a shitload of cash, so im most likely gonna go used. Guess I'll scour craigslist and Ebay Motors for some deals just to get an idea what shit goes for. Thanks for the suggestions dude.
Me and Al both ride KTM's.  They are very good Austrian bikes, and a few years ago they built a factory here in the USA so parts are easy enough to find.  Price wise they are very competitive with the Japanese manufacturers on everything, but they come shipped with extra bells and whistles that tons of people will add onto their bikes anyways.  They are very high quality machines.  There's a reason they changed from calling the top manufacturers the "Big 4" to the "Big 5", because KTM has grown so much in the last couple decades that they actually are the number 1 selling offroad bike manufacturer on the market.  They've been working on growing their street bike inventory over the last decade and these bikes just seem amazing.  All of the reviews for the 990's I've read were full of praise, and at the price point they really offer a lot.  From my perspective they offer the BMW appeal with the Japanese reliability and price.

Also that Harley you chose is probably the only Harley I would consider buying for myself.  Cool bike, but for price there are way better options, and heavy for a first bike.

To be honest I think something in the 400-700 cc range is more suitable for a first bike.  Something like a Ninja 500 or 650, or a Versys, or a Suzuki SV650, or V-Strom 650, or a KTM 690 SM.  Maybe even a Suzuki DRZ400SM would be good if you don't do a lot of highway riding.  Those bikes rock, but they are a little short on legs for cruising at 70+ all day.  All these bikes I listed have upright seating and low weight, perfect for a beginner, but have room to grow into, and could perform well enough that you never would want to sell them. 

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.