Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of motorcycle should I get?  (Read 42101 times)

BonerJoe

Re: What kind of motorcycle should I get?
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2010, 08:57:42 PM »

You got the motor?
No but I've located one and am in the process of wheedling the guy down in price to what I can afford.

What a

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »

so my best run was 7.75 at 104 mph last night.  Not horrible, but I was having traction issues on the launch pad no matter how far back i'd try to get on the bike.  smoked a guy on a gixxer 600 and barely beat a guy on an r6 and got beat by an extremely attractive gal on a gixxer 1000.  I ended up catching her on a rematch run later that night.  My concours is a heavy mother but she still holds her own and I love her.

My reaction time is shit.  My best time was .700 sec but I averaged about .825 sec.  If I could drop it to .4 sec I could have been pulling very low 7's, and if I could do that and get a full traction launch I could ideally break into the 6's on my mostly stock bike.

It was definitely fun.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2010, 01:27:15 AM »

what year Concourse?

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2010, 04:14:40 AM »

what year Concourse?
The newer older model.

I'd kill for a new C14 though.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »

you and me both dude.  Kinda kills my practical great gas mileage argument for daily riding but sometimes I want to carry a passenger and luggage... at a hundred eighty mph.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2010, 09:08:54 PM »

We took a trip from OKC to Kansas City last weekend on the motorcycles. I loaded my Lil Ninja up as much as I could.

His bike carried most of the luggage, I'm too cool for saddlebags, plus only teeny tiny ones'll fit and the teeny tiny one's I'd get cost a small fortune

The ride up was hard for me, I'd worked half a day, we were rushed to get there, and this was by far the longest distance I'd ever traveled in one day.  I had to stop way more often than I should have (like every 60ish miles) and I didn't keep up with him like I wanted to. Took us almost twice as long to get there as it should but we made it.

Saturday we did some more recreational riding. We took a drive to some of the areas he knew, and went to the coolest Renaissance Festival I've ever been to. He wrecked in a parking lot trying to push his bike harder than it wanted to be pushed (he was oh so very proud). He only lost a mirror and something I'd knocked off the last time I dumped it.

He did also show me this place, in the middle of suburb. For sure the best part of the whole trip.

This is the only pic I took of both the bikes, you can't see all his luggage. He was packed to the max.

All in all it was good experience for me, I discovered I can't stay on the bike long, and probably need an MP3 Player that I can hear while on the road. I also found out I LOATHE riding in a strange large city at night where I'm going, and in general am not a fan of night riding. I don't get hand signals at ALL. Oh and he needs to get a camera so he can take pics of me! (He has one I'm supposed to be locating a charger for him and have been slacking) 

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:28:31 PM by Trillian »

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2010, 10:08:19 PM »

It was entirely my fault and not the motorcycle's.  1/4 inch of cold rubber is not enough at 44psi.  I'm new to bikes (over 5K miles this season) that don't scrape pegs at a 20 degree lean.  That parking lot and I are going to have a rematch with warm tires at lower pressure.

Also, fuck hurrying up to get somewhere just so your plans can get cancelled by the demanding person who hurried you and then passed out early.  And fuck interstates, next time I take the long way and it takes as long as it takes.

The thing I was proud of was crashing with all my gear on in a place I had scoped out as fun to ride AND safe to crash.  A lot better than my only other motorcycle crash with a .2 BAC (I don't know that exactly, they were too busy trying to keep me alive to give me a DUI) in a t-shirt and sunglasses.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:15:38 PM by Ecolitan »

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2010, 10:49:40 PM »

oh and I forgot to mention...

I FOUND WALDO

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2010, 09:06:49 AM »

Just read at cycle news.  Paris Hilton starting a 125cc race team.  No Americans on team.  At least it will be well funded.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asphaltandrubber.com%2Fracing%2Fparis-hilton-125gp-team%2F&ei=ZcsITbLUEoW2sAPU0vDpDQ&usg=AFQjCNE9CFtiSglB8mwr9HIP0ygTXaRQGQ&sig2=VCdgAWlYZJeQ0SvowKpEHA

I bet the bikes top out at 69, then they blow a rod.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2011, 03:28:07 PM »

Harley Wide Gluide if they still make it..

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »

Harley Wide Gluide if they still make it..

why?

reliablity?...no
Fuel economy?... not too bad actually but not quite as good as the other candidates
Features for the money?.... no
Build quality?.... no
handling?.... no
low maintence?.... no
braking?.... no
Cheap to repair?... no
Low speed manueverabilty (for ease of popping down to the corner for some smokes and cramped campus traffic)... no
All day comfort?.... no (you can't change positions on a cruiser, no matter how comfortable it is for 30 minutes NO single sitting position is comfortable long term and large V-twins shake the shit out of you, cruisers are comfortable for riding all day is a myth, they're comfortable to the bar and back)

Bike night to show off how you can spend enough money to feed a starving family for years on something that is completely useless for practical transportation?...  Bingo

You must have been answering the question: What kind of motorcycle should YOU get?

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »

You got me!  I test rode one years ago and had a fun time!

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »

:D

All motorcycles are fun to ride

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2011, 11:02:50 AM »

They are.  My first one at age 14 was a Bridgestone 50.  My uncle had a Bridgestone 90 that I thought was so big.  Then in my late 20's I had a Honda 750.  That's what I had when I test rode that wide glide.  I'd still like one!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.