Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of motorcycle should I get?  (Read 42078 times)

Trillian

• View Profile
Re: What kind of motorcycle should I get?
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2010, 12:28:56 AM »

So my girlfriend has decided to start shopping for either a 150cc ish scooter or a 200cc ish dual sport.  She wants to use it to commute to school and her job close by which will end up saving her a ton of gas, and she'll also have another fun toy to ride.  We barely missed out on a purple Yamaha XT 225 dual sport.  She's a little bummed but there are other bikes out there.  I'll keep updating when we check out bikes.

Cool! Yes please do. Scooters are fun! Part of me likes the idea of a scooter because of the storage, but I don't think scooters even big ones belong on the highway and the commute for me is way too long to not ever take the highway.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2010, 02:36:16 AM »

So my girlfriend has decided to start shopping for either a 150cc ish scooter or a 200cc ish dual sport.  She wants to use it to commute to school and her job close by which will end up saving her a ton of gas, and she'll also have another fun toy to ride.  We barely missed out on a purple Yamaha XT 225 dual sport.  She's a little bummed but there are other bikes out there.  I'll keep updating when we check out bikes.

Cool! Yes please do. Scooters are fun! Part of me likes the idea of a scooter because of the storage, but I don't think scooters even big ones belong on the highway and the commute for me is way too long to not ever take the highway.
Hell yeah scooters are fun!  Even I want one!  But no, most are not for the highway.  Except this one:

It has a 650 twin cylinder engine and I once saw one popping a wheelie on the freeway at 70 mph.  Shocked the hell out of me.

But she doesn't want it to ride on the freeway, just to take streets and not really exceed 55 mph.  Bike needs to have a top speed of at least 75 mph so she can do a short freeway hop if necessary.  Hence the 150cc scooter or 200cc ish dual sport.

But I totally want a Yamaha Zuma 50 just to be ridiculous on.  Put a surf rack on it for cruising the beaches and a large top case to carry 30 packs of cheap beer.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

KDus

• Democracy=fraud
  • Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2010, 05:07:34 AM »

Hell yeah scooters are fun!  Even I want one!  But no, most are not for the highway.  Except this one:

It has a 650 twin cylinder engine and I once saw one popping a wheelie on the freeway at 70 mph.  Shocked the hell out of me.

But she doesn't want it to ride on the freeway, just to take streets and not really exceed 55 mph.  Bike needs to have a top speed of at least 75 mph so she can do a short freeway hop if necessary.  Hence the 150cc scooter or 200cc ish dual sport.

But I totally want a Yamaha Zuma 50 just to be ridiculous on.  Put a surf rack on it for cruising the beaches and a large top case to carry 30 packs of cheap beer.
No.    you want a moped
Liberate America!

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2010, 10:06:52 PM »

So, I got some money the boy paid me for the first bike. Now I have
:: Drum roll::

Yeah, Yeah going down in size, but I don't think I'm going to get bored. I freaking love this bike 100xs more than the first one. I've improved tons as a motorcyclist just since I got it this weekend.  So yay.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2010, 01:02:49 AM »

Somewhat related, I just finished "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". I enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, if you are actually a biker, it may compel you to take a long cross-country bike trip. Apparently it has had that effect on some.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2010, 01:17:22 AM »

Good book.

Trillian, how do you like the 250?  It's lighter weight and shorter so I'd assume you're more comfortable learning on it.  Have you gained a lot of confidence since you first got the 500?
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2010, 11:46:37 PM »

Good book.

Trillian, how do you like the 250?  It's lighter weight and shorter so I'd assume you're more comfortable learning on it.  Have you gained a lot of confidence since you first got the 500?

I LOVE my 250, which is a 2007 Ninja EX btw :) . The lighter weight of it,  ease of maneuvering and being able to ride around with someone more often has increased my experience 10 fold. I had ridden the 500 to work a couple of times, highway once (scared the shit out of me) and gone a little around town. I was feeling decent about it but still got pretty nervous on it.  Since I've gotten the Ninja, I've been around the lake twice, to work every day, to school, done quite a few highway miles and any where I can possibly justify taking it. It took all of one evening for me to fall in absolute love with this bike. It's not just because it's prettier which oh my gosh we know it is. I think my lack of coordination made my learning curve awful, and this helped ease it some.  I'm still a newb but with an experience buff.

When I started looking this time around, I didn't think that I'd want to go down to a 250 in size, but I'm incredibly glad I did. Also since I'm not a speed demon, I feel like I'll be happy with this bike for years to come.

Motorcycles rule!

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2010, 05:18:19 AM »

Update on the pos 93 ktm I got for a grand last year: it threw the cam chain and totalled the motor.  Maybe its parlty my fault maybe not.  Bottom line is that now I'm saving for a ktn 540 2 stroke motor to replace the outdated vibrator lc4 motor.  I'm done with 4 stroke dirt bikes and I'm returning to my roots.  My first two bikes were a 75 and a 175cc 2 stroke kawasakis. But since I've already got this excellently suspended rare street legal ktn frame I'm gonna throw a bigass wtf holy shit rocket ship 540cc 2 smoker motor into it.  Wish me luck. I hope to god I don't kill myself the first time I start this 72 hp motor up and do a 5th gear wheelie from a stop.  Gotta make sure that doesn't happen until AT LEAST the second time I ride the finished bike!

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2010, 06:06:22 AM »

A quick check in wikipedia, I see you are into obscure science fiction.
There was a reason open class disappeared from the roster in MX but I welcome it back. I hate thumpers.
Good luck.  :D

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2010, 06:19:26 AM »

A quick check in wikipedia, I see you are into obscure science fiction.
There was a reason open class disappeared from the roster in MX but I welcome it back. I hate thumpers.
Good luck.  :D
lol wtf did you read my mind?  Open class will be back soon with the meanest mfing street legal dual sport mx bike known to man when I drop this 540 into my frame.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2010, 06:33:59 AM »

It is back. Europe and South America.
http://www.motorsportsetc.com/champs/fim_mx3.htm
YEAH BABY!!!!

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2010, 06:38:26 AM »

It is back. Europe and South America.
http://www.motorsportsetc.com/champs/fim_mx3.htm
YEAH BABY!!!!
SWEET! Good find!  Agh I can't wait till I have 2 grand saved up to pimp out my bike to a 540 and buy ne ebtry into a few local desert races and get me some street tires and a new computer to boot. Don't buy the computer io got, its crap.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2010, 05:59:36 PM »

Gonna run an eight mile drag strip tonight.  Had to relocate my coolant overflow tank and install some new ebc hh sintered metal brake pads today.  Bled the brakes and I'm ready to pull 7s at the track. =-)

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2010, 06:01:21 PM »

You got the motor?

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2010, 08:15:06 PM »

You got the motor?
No but I've located one and am in the process of wheedling the guy down in price to what I can afford.  Should have it within a month.

I'm racing my commuter bike tonight which should be tons of fun

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.