Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of motorcycle should I get?  (Read 42223 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of motorcycle should I get?
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »

The nut is actually made slightly inferior so the axle doesn't get messed up, another "self- sacrificing part". My KTM and snowmobile had a lot of them. I usually machine my own parts these days, if I can, because I disagree with the concept.
Thanks for bumping the thread, BTW. I was thinking about it, but me and the wife have been into pedal biking this summer, so I have squat for new MC pics.
If you ever happen to see one about the right size, a old cable roll makes a excellent workbench for changing bike/ MC tires.
I've been using a 5 gallon bucket  :lol:
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2010, 05:41:11 PM »

So officially dumped whilst riding today..practicing slow tight turns near the lake (like 20 mph). I was getting to close to the fence and instead of turning it more, I grabbed a fistful of front brake, and landed on my
back. I know better *sigh* I  got a good mark on my knee, but was geared up minus my pants. Bent handle bars, another mirror, dust cover thingy fell off, muffler scratched and possibly messed up exhaust up but still running. My daughter was with watching, now I'll never get her on a motorcycle.
 On a side note haven't had much seat time because summer classes took every spare minute of my time, so I'm not as slow of a learner as you may be thinking :)

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2010, 12:09:22 AM »

My first bike was a Yamaha Special 400 just like this one:

I only ever dumped at very low speed in a driveway, etc., where you have low control. If I remember correctly, I almost ran into a tree once on this back country type road where I didn't slow down enough for a 90-degree bend. I was 17.

I got a Ninja 250 when I got out of the Army (in 1990) for cheap transportation. I didn't keep it long. I am totally over any desire to have a bike now. I feel absolutely no attraction whatsoever.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »

I am totally over any desire to have a bike now. I feel absolutely no attraction whatsoever.

:roll: :wink:

Sure man, sure.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2010, 01:53:03 AM »

My first bike was a Yamaha Special 400 just like this one:

Im not sure why, but I love 80s style motorcycles. There's something cool about them that seems lost now maybe.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2010, 02:11:29 PM »

New Ducati 848 Evo = drool.

This is the first Ducati that's really had me wetting my lips:

Ducati 848 Evo 140 hp, 369 lbs, $12,995 msrp

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/motorcycleshows/Consumer+News/Ducati-To-Unleash-140hp-848-Evo-Superbike/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/679784?contextCategoryId=37889

Ducati proudly announces today the most powerful middleweight sport bike on the market; the 2011 Ducati 848EVO Superbike.

The new Ducati 848EVO is the pinnacle of sport bike engineering, designed to be the leader in the middleweight class. Weighing only 369 pounds and propelled by 140 horsepower and 72 lb/ft of torque, it is the most powerful motorcycle in its category.

The 848EVO is based upon Ducati’s best ever selling middleweight Superbike- the 848. Along with the “EVO” designation comes a significant amount of upgrades based on AMA Pro Racing feedback and consumer demand.

At the heart of the 848EVO is the Testastretta Evoluzione engine, significantly redesigned for a higher power output. All new cylinder heads, pistons, throttle bodies and camshafts combine for a forceful output of 140hp @ 10,500rpm and 72.3 lb/ft of torque @9,750rpm. All of this significant engine performance is wrapped in new black cylinder cases.

In addition to the more powerful engine, the 848EVO’s chassis and braking systems have been upgraded. A cross-mounted steering damper has been added for greater control of the steering system, and the welcome addition of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP tires will ensure maximum grip while delivering every last horsepower to the asphalt.

The 848EVO receives a massive upgrade to the braking system in the form of Brembo Monobloc calipers. These single-piece calipers are machined from solid alloy and achieve a higher rigidity and resistance to distortion during extreme braking. The resulting increase in hydraulic efficiency not only delivers incredible braking power, but also provides an enhanced and precise 'feel' at the brake lever.

All this combines to form the most potent, powerful and lightweight middle class sport bike available; both for the road or race track usage. For 2011, a special “Dark” version will be available; which unlike “Dark” editions of Ducati’s past will be a truly black bike from front to rear, giving the motorcycle an aggressive look and attitude.

The Ducati 848EVO Superbike will be available in North American Ducati Dealerships at the end of August, 2010. Impressively, MSRP will remain unchanged from the 2010 848 it replaces: $12,995 for the “Dark” edition, and $13,995 for Ducati Red.

KDus

• Democracy=fraud
  • Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2010, 06:11:03 PM »

I wouldn't do a 250 unless you can get one for practically nothing.

500cc at least, so you don't get bored after a week.
I second that. 500 and up if you'll ever go on a highway.

The Suzuki GS400-500 is a great suggestion.
Liberate America!

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2010, 06:21:55 PM »

Dude the Ninja 250's will cruise at 85 all day long without complaint.  But yeah, the 500's clearly much better at highway duty.  She ended up getting one too.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »

Soooo.... MSF course= done.  The dude that ran the class was not all there, a cheap bastard, and a bit of a sexist, but I do feel like I learned a few things. There were 3 girls in a 6 person class which helped as a buffer for the sexist comments.
 I've decided that I'm going to sell the bike that's in the driveway to the boy, and get a gs500f. He's perfectly content with it, and wants to do things like new fork, suspension and some other things that he's got all picked out. I've grown fond of the bike itself but it's not pretty enough for me. I know I can handle the 500, still have to work on stopping quickly. I can't see myself going down to a 250 after getting used to this one. I haven't mastered equal pressure of front and back (for like emergency stopping), I either lock up the back tire or as I did the other day grab way too much of the front and fall off.

But tomorrow I'll have my motorcycle endorsement. I will *hopefully* have the funds for the second bike midweek, and have a more assessable riding partner I'll be commuting on mine by the time the semester starts.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2010, 11:38:47 PM »

Congrats!  That's a great beginner bike too.  Basically the new version of what you've got (I don't think they are really much different besides the plastics).  So do you feel like the MSF class helped a lot?

KDus

• Democracy=fraud
  • Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2010, 12:19:52 AM »

Dude the Ninja 250's will cruise at 85 all day long without complaint.  But yeah, the 500's clearly much better at highway duty.  She ended up getting one too.

I was commuting on a 78 GS400 for about a year. At 6'2" and 235lbs, it was a bit weak on hills. Maybe a newer 250 and a lighter rider would be fine.
Liberate America!

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2010, 12:25:46 AM »

I was commuting on a 78 GS400 for about a year. At 6'2" and 235lbs, it was a bit weak on hills. Maybe a newer 250 and a lighter rider would be fine.
Yeah they are definitely different.  I have a KTM400 and it's no fun at all to cruise on the highway.  But trust me, the 250 is good enough to cruise a 180 lb rider at 85 all day long.  Just the way they are comfortable spinning 10k rpm for hours and hours because they are a small stroke parallel twin motor.  At 235 lbs it definitely wouldn't be the bike for you though.  It's not fast enough for me either and I only weigh 165, but they will still cruise 85 all day with me riding.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2010, 11:08:18 PM »

Congrats!  That's a great beginner bike too.  Basically the new version of what you've got (I don't think they are really much different besides the plastics).  So do you feel like the MSF class helped a lot?

The plastics = prettier :) And I've found some websites with fun decals to make it all personalized, but not overly girly. So I want one, and hopefully I won't dump it much more. I found one I can afford after some money I'm waiting on comes in. They don't show up as often, so if the one I want has been sold, I'll have to either wait around awhile, pay more, or get a 250 Ninja. I'm kind of sold on getting a GS500F since I've gotten used to the one we have.
 The MSF course helped some. He was a little nutty and think he would have passed just about anyone who paid him money, but think I would have passed it either way. But  I did get brave and ventured on some main streets last night, and went a few miles away from the house. Cars didn't freak me out as much which was good.

Yeah they are definitely different.  I have a KTM400 and it's no fun at all to cruise on the highway.  But trust me, the 250 is good enough to cruise a 180 lb rider at 85 all day long.  Just the way they are comfortable spinning 10k rpm for hours and hours because they are a small stroke parallel twin motor.  At 235 lbs it definitely wouldn't be the bike for you though.  It's not fast enough for me either and I only weigh 165, but they will still cruise 85 all day with me riding.

The 250 debate is a constant topic on the interwebs. Half the people say you can take them on the highway half say you can't. I'm gonna go with you can, but you feel like a tiny bug sometimes that will be smushed, but you probably feel that way on any bike.  I do know neither are really meant to be driven 2 up, my butt can account for that (on the 500) so I can't imagine why you'd want to on a 250. Well unless you've got 2 tiny people.  Ugh...

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2010, 11:28:36 PM »

Depends on where you are, I guess. In New York, biking on a highway is suicide because the road quality is terrible, and the drivers clueless idiots.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2010, 12:17:12 AM »

So my girlfriend has decided to start shopping for either a 150cc ish scooter or a 200cc ish dual sport.  She wants to use it to commute to school and her job close by which will end up saving her a ton of gas, and she'll also have another fun toy to ride.  We barely missed out on a purple Yamaha XT 225 dual sport.  She's a little bummed but there are other bikes out there.  I'll keep updating when we check out bikes.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 33 queries.