Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of motorcycle should I get?  (Read 42076 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of motorcycle should I get?
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:13 PM »

Hah my ghetto riding gear's not so cool?  My old boots had been worn out to death and were pointless to use for protection so I used work boots and jeans instead of my riding pants and boots and I didn't worry about my jersey either.  Since then I got some new boots (Thor Quadrants, they are great except the buckles are kinda chintzy, but the rest of the boots are very comfortable and protective, just crappy buckles, I already broke two) and two new jerseys from munnracing.com for 20 bucks shipped and I'm using my old ass riding pants still.  Mix and match.  The pants are from when I used to ride a cherry red '72 Kawasaki 175 2-stroke (man I miss that bike), but I don't really care about how the stuff looks, just how it works.

What you can't tell in the photo with my foot way off the peg is that I was doing these ridiculous karate kicks off that baby 6' jump but my gf couldn't get a photo of me doing them at full extension.  It was pretty hilarious though I thought.  Couldn't find any bigger jumps and I felt like screwing around in the air so it had to do.  I didn't crash at all that trip, so yes, I did ride it out no problem.

I'm still getting used to the bike although I am now pretty comfortable on it.  It's just still a little weird because it feels like the rear end has like 4" more suspension travel than even the new 450's from Japan and the forks are about the same as the Jap bikes.  At least that's how it feels to me, it's probably about the same or maybe 2" max in reality.  I have yet to bottom out the suspension, but I think I will when I get this beast on an MX track.

Now I'm going to masochistically torture myself as I ride up to LA from SD on this bike because my streetbike has the belt showing on the rear tire and I don't have the money just now to replace it and I can't afford the gas to drive my Suburban up there and back.  It's nice that this bike is plated, but It definitely was not designed for the highway.  Wish me luck because I think my ass is probably going to fall off of my body somewhere in Orange County this thing vibrates so much.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:55 PM »

And yes the Hastings Law quote is from a Heinlein book but I don't remember which one, I have just about all of them I think.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

alaric89

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »

You are doing mid-jump tricks? impressive.
If I, at 245lbs can't bottom out mine at a 10 foot drop, I don't think you could bottom yours out if you jumped from a airplane.
Good luck on the road trip, it does sound painful.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »

got up to 45 mph. I know that seems lame, but its the fastest Ive been.
oh and rain drops hurt your face at that speed..I came home after that started.

Wait till you discover the joys of hitting large insects. I was tooling along in Yellowstone once (long ago) with no helmet and got smacked in the head by the biggest prehistoric Dragonfly on the planet. It nearly knocked me off my bike and left a nice welt the size of a golfball on my forehead. Another time I hit a huge BumbleBee while going quite fast, and the beast broke into pieces, with the abdomen sliding down my shirt where the stinger got me right in the belly. Don't let that discourage you from riding though, just be aware that these things can and do happen, so wear protective clothing when possible.A larger issue with rain of course is the sliding down the pavement on your ass problem. Again- try to wear thick clothing, and for gods' sake don't go hauling scantily clad women around - it's a real shame to see pretty skin on the pavement all covered with blood. My advice is to choose your protective clothing wisely and get a bike that can brake faster than it can accelerate.

I bet that was awful.  And I'm sure it happens more often than you'd think.
But,
I was wearing my gear: jacket, gloves, pants, boots actually and my helmet. I just didn't have my visor down, and it was all rainy on it so if I put it down I couldn't see.   I  went home because I don't feel ready to ride in the rain since the roads get slick etc.  I really don't plan on ever hauling scantily clad women around. I mean I have friends that dress that way, but I don't see me putting them on my bike.

alaric89

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2010, 02:10:08 PM »

Don't worry about the bugs while riding. That's the second best place for a girl to get extra protine at no extra cost.

Rimshot

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »

Don't worry about the bugs while riding. That's the second best place for a girl to get extra protine at no extra cost.

Rimshot

...  :roll:

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2010, 12:11:44 AM »

I survived.

150 miles each way.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2010, 06:32:45 AM »

Alright guys and gals, I want some more motorcycle photos please.

alaric89

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2010, 07:37:01 AM »

Old photo of my daughter learning. She out grew the bike of course. At the photos time she was 9.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2010, 11:22:05 AM »

My daughter is 8 and won't hardly go near the bike. I'm hoping that passes.   I'll have to show her this one, so she can see other girls her age even ride solo. 

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »

My daughter is 8 and won't hardly go near the bike. I'm hoping that passes.   I'll have to show her this one, so she can see other girls her age even ride solo.  
My sisters learned to ride dirt bikes around age 6-8.  They had a 2-stroke 80 trail bike with a 5 speed manual transmission.  Great bike that was set up to ride like a 4-stroke but still had the zap of a 2-stroke when you got on the pipe.  My parents still have the bike to this day because it's not exactly the best value to resell and it's great to teach new riders on before bumping them up to the full size bike.

In fact it's the bike I taught my girlfriend to ride on.  Since then she's bought her own Honda XR200R.

Was looking through some old photos and found a semi-cool one of me hill climbing on my brother's DRZ400
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:19:28 PM by Admiral Naismith »

alaric89

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2010, 02:23:12 PM »

My daughter is 8 and won't hardly go near the bike. I'm hoping that passes.   I'll have to show her this one, so she can see other girls her age even ride solo. 
http://www.supercross.com/mxgirls
This might help.
Please note two things from the photo though.
1. She is fully equipped with helmet, boots, riding pants with padding, and chest protector.
2. I tested the ramp and landing path myself before she tried it.
That bike is a perfect learning minibike. It is a 03 Yamaha ttr90 or a 4 stroke 90 with a 3 speed transmission and a inertia clutch, in 04 they started to build them with a electric start.
These are inexpensive and can take a lot of beating.
I would also like to note there was a lot of yelling, chasing,(by me) and crashing before she got even to this point.
The experience was worth it though. Her self confidence and Independence with machinery is pretty good for a 16 year old girl.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:11:42 AM by alaric89 »

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2010, 05:48:55 PM »

Be careful.

My cousin's funeral is on Tuesday. He would have turned 40 in a couple of weeks. Details aren't in, but it's known he was not wearing a helmet and was, as he was always fond of, traveling at a high speed. Either he hit a car or it hit him.

His younger brother is quadriplegic from a motorcycle accident that happened a few years back.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2010, 05:09:55 PM »

So I threw a new rear tire on my KTM to replace my  crap Korea "Trail Buddy" tire that was chunking out the knobs all over the place.  The Korean tire looked great when I bought the bike (they were brand new), they are a straight knockoff of the Kenda dual sport tire tread design, but clearly are made of a far inferior rubber.  In the process of throwing a new Dunlop D606 on the rear I destroyed the threads on the axle nut and had to special order a new one for 7 bucks.  Fuckin lame.  Not even sure if its my fault or if the self locking nut just decided it was time to kill itself.  Waiting a few more days for the order to come in.  The one good thing about that crappo Korean tire was that it held its bead GOOD.  I had to jump on it with a metal 2x4 beam to break the bead.  Once I broke the bead it was easy enough to get off.

Anyways, I'm excited to try out this new tire, it should be amazing offroad and half decent on the street.

alaric89

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »

The nut is actually made slightly inferior so the axle doesn't get messed up, another "self- sacrificing part". My KTM and snowmobile had a lot of them. I usually machine my own parts these days, if I can, because I disagree with the concept.
Thanks for bumping the thread, BTW. I was thinking about it, but me and the wife have been into pedal biking this summer, so I have squat for new MC pics.
If you ever happen to see one about the right size, a old cable roll makes a excellent workbench for changing bike/ MC tires.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.