Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of motorcycle should I get?  (Read 42082 times)

alaric89

Re: What kind of motorcycle should I get?
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »

Walking my dog in 2007.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 05:59:43 PM »

Haha sweet.  My girlfriend's dog will walk right in front of the bike or bicycle over and over so this method of walking her dog doesn't work  :shock:
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 08:48:33 PM »

love the pic!
So I'm ordering my gear tonight...got a nice fat payday, and signing up for a class on Monday...I'll be taking one the first weekend in July.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2010, 11:09:51 PM »

Jacket has armor stuff in all the places it should, removable liner, vents and a few pockets. Pants are made of some material that's supposed to be tough, have hip protectors and they have several pockets, and vents. Both are a little big, but I figure I can bundle up underneath if the need is there. I need gloves, couldn't find any I liked (will look again tomorrow). I also need boots soon, but riding gear is expensive and I'm at budget when I get the gloves.
   I'm very happy with the quality of the stuff I got, and was glad to see there was a decent selection of non Harley-like ladies stuff to chose at the store.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2010, 11:45:14 PM »

Hey looks pretty good!  Definitely get some gloves though.  I use utility gloves you can find at Home Depot, but I've had several pairs of riding gloves both dirt and street also.  I really liked my old $50 Alpinestar leather street gloves.  I lost two pairs of them :-\.  Right now I'm using a set of Mechanix gloves and a set of "Firm Grip" Home Depot gloves that I actually like very much.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

alaric89

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »

If threads I care about drop to far I'll add any crap that's sorta pertinent.
WTF there Admiral, throw a desert shot or two til Trillian gives another update.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2010, 11:28:19 PM »

wow another nice pic! Not much to say, I still love my bike, not getting much riding time my summer classes are kicking my butt!  I did get some great practice time in today. I did MSF course-ish stuff, the boyfriend would show me then I'd do it.  I can do tight slow turns confidently, and stop pretty quickly. I've only been in second gear a few times lol. But I feel much more confident and most of the fear is gone.  My MSF course isn't until the end of the month, had to move it back because of my summer classes, I won't be on big roads until then I don't think, but I feel like I'm going to be just fine.

The boyfriend keeps stealing it and going for rides, we may have to do something about that soon... (make him get one) which would probably be better because we double up quite a bit right now since I don't drive on city streets. It'll go, but my every tiniest of movement seems to effect him more than on other bikes, and the back seat sucks ass.  I think I'll still like riding on the back even when I'm confident of my skills, but only sometimes, and I'd rather it be comfortable.

He's really not "stealing" as much as we're sharing it but either way that's gotta change quick.  I like being the driver way more than the passenger.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:37:32 PM by Trillian »

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2010, 01:17:56 AM »

I actually just got back from a desert trip for the weekend.  The weather was surprisingly excellent topping out at about 85 degrees around 300 PM.  I've got a bunch of photos but I lost the dongle for my camera so I'll have to wait to upload them.

Definitely make your boyfriend get his own bike Trillian!  Glad to hear you are making some progress.  Definitely keep us updated as you move along.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 12:30:34 AM »

As Promised:

Had a fun time.  No injuries or bike problems.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 12:36:45 AM »

That looks so freaking fun!! Glad it was an incident free adventure!

alaric89

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 12:49:41 AM »

I like the new tank. Man that looks fun.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 06:43:08 AM »

I hate the new tank.  It's a fat ugly bulbous pig.  But it does hold twice the gas as the old tank, so it's staying.  At first it was uncomfortable to wrap my knees around the huge thing.  Now I've gotten used to it and it's gotten pretty comfortable.  I made the KTM logos out of grip tape so it sticks to my thighs real good when I'm moving the bike around with my legs.  I'm gonna make some more graphics towards the front of the tank to act as knee grips.

We do have some great riding out here.  About 25 miles east of where these photos were taken is wide open desert where you can literally pin it in top gear without worry.  But to me that gets old after about 20 minutes.  I like this area because it has cool rock obstacles and twisty windy trails with nicely built up berms so I can really fly and toss my bike back and forth almost like a street bike in some sections.  But the soil is soft silty sand so it's forgiving once you get used to the way the bike slips and slides and sticks in the stuff.  I'm still trying to get my balls together enough to attempt the rock face pictured in the last photo.  I KNOW I can do it.  I just keep being a pussy and not trying it.  I'm afraid of looping out and sliding down 100 ft of solid rock @ 45 degrees and destroying my bike.  I kept riding up half way from the side and then riding down it.  Next time I promise I'll go for it.  None of my friends had the guts to try it either so that makes me feel a little better sorta I guess.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »

I dont think Ill ever be a dirt bike thrill seeker, but I like watching other people do it. I still dont have the balls to go out on main streets but did drive around last night, and got up to 45 mph. I know that seems lame, but its the fastest Ive been. My turns are still wider than I want them to be frequently. I didnt handle a hill at a stop sign very well, but I managed not to roll back much, or panic so thats good. I feel like Ill be set for the MSF course and will be ready to go just about wherever by then. Yay motorcycles :)

oh and rain drops hurt your face at that speed..I came home after that started.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:01:03 PM by Trillian »

Stoker

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2010, 02:44:37 PM »

got up to 45 mph. I know that seems lame, but its the fastest Ive been.
oh and rain drops hurt your face at that speed..I came home after that started.

Wait till you discover the joys of hitting large insects. I was tooling along in Yellowstone once (long ago) with no helmet and got smacked in the head by the biggest prehistoric Dragonfly on the planet. It nearly knocked me off my bike and left a nice welt the size of a golfball on my forehead. Another time I hit a huge BumbleBee while going quite fast, and the beast broke into pieces, with the abdomen sliding down my shirt where the stinger got me right in the belly. Don't let that discourage you from riding though, just be aware that these things can and do happen, so wear protective clothing when possible.A larger issue with rain of course is the sliding down the pavement on your ass problem. Again- try to wear thick clothing, and for gods' sake don't go hauling scantily clad women around - it's a real shame to see pretty skin on the pavement all covered with blood. My advice is to choose your protective clothing wisely and get a bike that can brake faster than it can accelerate.

@ Admiral Naismith : Is the Hastings' Law from a Heinlein book? It sounds familiar, but the way I remember it was something like "First Law: Don't throw shit at a man with a shotgun and Second Law: Don't stand next to a man who throws shit at a man with a shotgun".
[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:23:13 PM by Stoker »

alaric89

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2010, 03:59:07 PM »

Comment 2 on the good Admiral's photo's.
The jersey and riding gear look a lot better than that ghetto look you had going on the other thread.
Love the failed superman on the jump shot. (feet are not on the pegs) Did you ride it out?
On a jump once my feet fell off the pegs. (I always jump standing) My boots slid off, so my ass fell to the seat, so me and the bike landed on my feet. Without my cross boots, I am sure I would have snapped both ankles.
I think mixing the plastics and graphics is a damn cool thing. Off roaders are way too uncompromising on their bikes look. (for dudes who basically destroy their machines doing their thing) I like the mixed way bikes looked back in the 70's. My first off roader was a 74 Yamaha 250 enduro. Painted silver with metal tanks. My EXC is twice as fast and of course technologically better, but that old Yamaha was a lot cooler.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.