Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of motorcycle should I get?  (Read 42072 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of motorcycle should I get?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 11:28:42 PM »

Don't forget to check the weather report regularly. You don't want your first experience riding in wet conditions to be sooner than when you feel ready.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 12:16:42 AM »

I am sincerely thankful for all the info on the gear, and can tell you I already can feel the reason for gloves and boots. The others make total sense too.  I will get them and soon.  And will show them off because no doubt they will scream of girl awesomeness.

My progress tonight was driving around the neighborhood a bit, I did one turn around without trying to put my feet on the ground and bring it to an almost complete stop.

I'm going to look for a safety course shortly, because I know I'm not going to feel comfortable going on the main roads or highway probably until I do.

Now next question- maintenance right now
I know it needs:
New Rear tire
The new front tire put on and balanced
Oil change
New break pads for the back (at least)
Chain adjusted
Fluids check

Anything else you can think of?

alaric89

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 03:45:57 AM »

Hey I'm on my second wife. I know giving practical advice to woman is a waste of time.

I can see why the first wife didn't stick around.

Yah..... I can be difficult to live with. I'm overly practical, and I make fun of silliness, but I should be a bit more understanding of women and their want and needs. They are wonderful, nurturing, loving creatures, woman and I truly adore them. My wives really put up with a lot of things and I really should have understood that the occasional chick flick wouldn't kill me to sit through. I could have bought dinner out more often. I really need to see that woman are more in touch with there emotions and need small, expensive dinners in restaurants so they can feel appreciated. Maybe I should have excepted that no sacrifice is too great for the unwavering love of a good woman. But the first wife and I had to part ways because of insurmountable reasons I am sure you would understand. She refused to take it in the ass.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 02:24:10 PM »

Good stuff.

My suggestion for the rear brake pad is to put on a soft squishy cheapo "organic" pad.  These are harder to lock up accidentally, and the rear brake is super easy to lock up on bikes, so you don't need to go throw a high dollar HH sintered metal pad on there, they will lock up too easily and scare the bejesus out of you.

Can't wait for more photos!
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

redgar

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 04:35:06 PM »

Nice pick for a first bike! When I started the thread I was going to chime in and say a 250cc is too small! You should get several years out of that bike.

I started on an old KZ-440. It quickly became too small. At highway speed I often felt like the wind was pushing me around too much. I have a Kawasaki Nomad 1500 now. The safety course is the best decision you could make.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 04:51:48 PM »

Nice pick for a first bike! When I started the thread I was going to chime in and say a 250cc is too small! You should get several years out of that bike.

I started on an old KZ-440. It quickly became too small. At highway speed I often felt like the wind was pushing me around too much. I have a Kawasaki Nomad 1500 now. The safety course is the best decision you could make.
The difference is that the Ninja 250 is actually comfortable at highway speeds for long distances at a time.  You can ride them from LA to San Diego and back every day and not hate life.  Now my KTM 400 on the other hand... lol.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 05:41:55 PM »

So officially today, I've decided without a shadow of a doubt, a safety course is in my very immediate future, not in a couple months after I have a good feel for it..

I'm a little overwhelmed by all of it, and I freaked out a tad riding in the neighborhood when there started to be cars moving around. I went to the gas station that is off a main road, but I can get there without actually getting on one, and I panicked more than I'd expected to. There were several cars turning off the main road driving quickly, and cars coming out of the gas station. I sat there for awhile waiting turn and then as I turned in made it sharper than I meant to. I got parked and felt a little better, but had trouble getting the key out, then couldn't get my helmet off quickly. When I got done, I couldn't get the bike to start (you have to take the kick stand off :) ) I got it started, got going ok, was feeling decent.
  But then I had an issue turning a corner cuz I got bravish and there was a car turning out, so I over did my turn and almost hopped the curb. I was still recovering from that when I pulled back into the house, I dumped it while I was trying to park it, broke the mirror, which really is ok cuz they were stupid and small and going to be replaced

I know everyone says it would happen, but it's effected me quite a bit. I'm not swearing off the bike or anything but it's enough to make me wonder if I shoulda gotten a smaller one just to learn on. Because had I not been lucky as the bike was starting to topple over, and I hit the dam gas (why I dunno but I did and I realize it was the stupidest thing I coulda done) I coulda really screwed some stuff up from almost a dead stop.

The way I look at it, I have several different options even if I do swear off this bike I can:
1) put it back on sale and get my money back in a matter of a couple days and wait for a 250 to show up on craig's list
2) let the boyfriend buy it from me then use his money for the 250. (our goal regardless is to have 2 decent bikes)
     and if I get bored with it quickly, I can sell it and get me a bigger one again

I like the idea that there's tons of options if this particular bike doesn't work out for me.  I still think it might, but will feel better once I get some professional instruction.

This is day 2 of my experience on a motorcycle driving. It's still all very exciting, and I can't wait to really get going I'm just a little more cautious then I was before I got on today.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:43:58 PM by Trillian »

blackie

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »

Did you have a hard time picking it back up when you dumped it?

If you didn't, I'd say keep it.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »

I was panicked a bit, so I didn't even try... I let him do it

alaric89

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »

Find somebody to help you get started please. I have a ex- girlfriend that decided to start riding quads while we were together. It took two days of teaching, coaxing, and rescuing by me before she could ride the thing safely.
It looks like a pretty good starter bike to me. congrats. :)

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »

Another thing to remember is to never hit the brakes in a turn.  Get your braking done before the turn starts!  And also remember that the bike can lean over WAY further than you can.  If you ever feel like you've entered a turn too hot, DON'T grab a fist full of front brake and smash your rear!  YOU WILL CRASH.  Just get farther forward and lean it over more.  Trust me, the bike can lean over real far compared to what even a fast rider is brave enough to do.  

I think you should stick with this bike, it really is a great learner bike and will last you a long time.  But make sure to get all of your gear together before you go riding again.  Keep practicing.  Nothing is a substitute to seat time, except good seat time.  Don't ride in short sleeves, even if it is really hot.  Get yourself a good jacket ASAP.  You will love it once you finally get comfortable on your bike.  And if you ride it around often, that will be soon.

Alaric's suggestion to find someone to help you get started is a great idea.  An old fogey who wears full gear will probably be a great help.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »

When I was investigating motorcycle safety courses, I discovered a program that will loan you a 250 (and helmet, and gloves) for the course.  If you can find one like that in your area, please take it before driving your bike out in traffic again. 

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »

When I was investigating motorcycle safety courses, I discovered a program that will loan you a 250 (and helmet, and gloves) for the course.  If you can find one like that in your area, please take it before driving your bike out in traffic again. 
Yup, most of them do.

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 09:42:38 PM »

Around here all the beginner courses require you wear long pants, long sleeved shirts, boots, and a helmet to take the course, they provide the bike and it's 2 days which 10 hours of the 16 is classroom which is ok.  They cost 150.00 but with that, you skip your driving test at the dmv to get your M endorsement, and just have to take the written portion. 
I've been looking online for gear all day, and it looks like I'm going to have to go piece by piece since I spent all my spare money on the bike :)

I promise to not go into even neighborhood traffic until I get the course, I will however spend some more time in parking lots, and possibly the tame motorcycle trails until then. 

Classes for all the schools that have websites are booked until like August, but I'm sure if I keep looking I can find a smaller one that has openings.

blackie

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 09:50:15 PM »

My first motorcycle was a 1982 GS550.

One Harley guy told me "you can ride with us, but you have to ride in the back."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What kind of motorcycle should I get?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.