Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What is a woman's role today?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a woman's role today?  (Read 5035 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: What is a woman's role today?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 05:26:27 AM »

Chicks are funny creatures.  I don't dis them for some feminism, they have some shit lined up against them.  Some get WAYYY to carried away with it, and thats just retarded.  Kinda like men who talk shit about being the fuckin man of the house, no different with overly feminista radicals.  So, I guess the balance is probably weird. 

The world takes all kinds.  It needs *gUrlz* too, so feh, whatever.  Let em.  Someone will mack 'em up, and good for them.  They can be amusing when they're flitting all around, doing whatever they do.  Makes my world a brighter place, I guess.  Just don't expect me to fall for it. 

It doesn't require a lot of introspection to discover if you're happy.  The secret is, if you're not, you gotta do something about it.  Sticking it out in a semi-tolerable situation because it seems like the right thing to do is a bad idea.  Things usually don't get better with time.  I wouldn't say *never*, because some old people will tell you it got better and better, but those are rare examples, and probably started out really good to begin with.  If its fucked up, its fucked up. 

So if you're happy, keep her happy.  You gotta do what it takes when its worth doing.  Nothing worth having is effortless.  Some things take way too much fucking effort.  If you can exist somewhere in the middle, you're golden. 
Oh don't I know.  My mom is one of those women that really deserves to be loved by everyone.  She doesn't have a mean bone in her body.  But she believes that she is equal to my father, and she is.  But she's only equal because she worked her ass off to be equal.  She makes her own money and really could afford to support my family if my father died.  She also respects my father as a man.  She's an Ayn Rand feminist I guess (minus the sleeping around thing), although she had never read Rand until I introduced it to her.  Call Freud on this or whatever, but I just want a woman like my mother.  She's perfect, especially because she tries to live up the "Jewish Mother" caricature to the fullest despite the fact that she was not Jewish nor has she technically converted. 

My girlfriend is just like that, except that she still goes to church with her parents every sunday.  That's the only problem I have with her.  I want my kids to grow up Jewish and I want her to embrace that like my mother did.  Maybe I just have to get my girl to hang out with my mother a bit more so she can see how a shiksa can come to embrace my religion without giving up her cultural stuff like x-mas/festivus.  Damn, religion fucks things up don't it?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 08:59:22 AM »

Festivus?  I love Festivus.  After we got our Christmas tree this year I thought "Why didn't we get a Festivus pole?!"

And if you think religion fucks everything up, why do you want your children to be raised Jewish?  There's nothing wrong with religion to me, even though I don't follow one.  I just don't think it's cool to knock each other's religions. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Rillion

• View Profile
Re: What the woman's role today?
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »

You're basically right. Women have redefined themselves so that if they want, they could either work, or stay at home. Men have done no such thing, and most of us, and the womenfolk still hold us to the dehumanizing standards of the fifties where were basically ATM's to our families.

I'll have to inform my friend the stay-at-home dad and his breadwinner wife.  And my boyfriend, who would laugh his ass off if I told him that I'm going to be a full time home-maker and he has to provide for me. 

fatcat

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »

People who buy into gender roles make me sick.

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 02:05:33 PM »

So when you see a little girl dressed in pink playing with a doll, and a boy dressed in blue playing guns, you throw up all over yourself?

C'mon, men and women are different, and as such contribute different things to the relationship. What I'm saying is that a man's role is much more defined and adhered to by most, than a woman's role.
Pocho

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »

You're basically right. Women have redefined themselves so that if they want, they could either work, or stay at home. Men have done no such thing, and most of us, and the womenfolk still hold us to the dehumanizing standards of the fifties where were basically ATM's to our families.

I'll have to inform my friend the stay-at-home dad and his breadwinner wife.  And my boyfriend, who would laugh his ass off if I told him that I'm going to be a full time home-maker and he has to provide for me. 

Notice how I said most? That means its true the majority of the time. Any specific cases you present would be the minority cases.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 02:43:47 PM »

If people want to buy into those roles, I say more power to them.  It's when they start insisting that everybody else do so as well that it's a problem.  And I think even those who do buy into those roles benefit from the presence of people around them who don't, who even violate them in radical ways, because it's a reminder that we all have a choice in the matter. 

What I'm saying is that a man's role is much more defined and adhered to by most, than a woman's role.

When the man's role has been historically the one with most of the power, is that really very surprising? 

davann

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 03:44:41 PM »

Here is a conundrum for those of the PC crowd that have the same opinion as above.

Does it make you sick when a man who believes he is a woman inside dresses as a woman?

This is the problem when one becomes to radical in their belief system, including PCness, it is easy to get caught in a contrary trap.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 04:05:57 PM »

Here is a conundrum for those of the PC crowd that have the same opinion as above.

Does it make you sick when a man who believes he is a woman inside dresses as a woman?

This is the problem when one becomes to radical in their belief system, including PCness, it is easy to get caught in a contrary trap.

Yeah.  A friend of mine is playing at being a woman sometimes....he's got the clothes, the shoes, the makeup, the falsies, and is working on his voice, which is hard.  He puts so much more effort into being a woman than I do.  It seems kind of unfair that I can just roll out of bed and pull on jeans and t-shirt, and I look more female that someone who tries so hard at it.  I've never seen a cross-dresser who dresses like me.  They always go glam, or at least country club-- a stereotype of womanhood. 

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 06:31:11 PM »

I'm a stay at home dad. It's Christams break from school, so today me and the kids rassled in bed in the morning, had some breakfast, went to the grocery store, came home and met the chimney sweep, watched the Lemony Snicket movie, and then cooked pork chops, green beans, corn & sweet potatoes. I didn't open a single box nor can neither.. the kids helped snap the beans and shuck the corn, and then the little girl refused to eat anything while the boy dumped ketchup all over his stuff.

And now, after I had my Calgon bath & bon-bons with Oprah, it's off to work for me in my office until about 2 am.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 11:34:14 PM »

I'm a stay at home dad. It's Christams break from school, so today me and the kids rassled in bed in the morning, had some breakfast, went to the grocery store, came home and met the chimney sweep, watched the Lemony Snicket movie, and then cooked pork chops, green beans, corn & sweet potatoes. I didn't open a single box nor can neither.. the kids helped snap the beans and shuck the corn, and then the little girl refused to eat anything while the boy dumped ketchup all over his stuff.

And now, after I had my Calgon bath & bon-bons with Oprah, it's off to work for me in my office until about 2 am.

Sounds a lot like my day, except...
Rassling was in the fort they'd built in one of their rooms,
Trip to the craft store for clay needed for a project when school starts back up,
Met roofers,
Fellowship of the Ring was our movie
Peeling carrots instead of snapping beans, and I did open a can... of coconut milk.
Boy refused to eat, and little girl was dumping soy sauce over everything.

Now, I'm working on a map of Salt Lake City until 1:00 or when I start nodding over exit ramps, whichever comes first.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »

...and of course, this is the typical situation...NOT!

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 05:28:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's not typical for men these days to be ATMs to their families, yes.  They're usually at least co-ATMs. 

alaric89

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's not typical for men these days to be ATMs to their families, yes.  They're usually at least co-ATMs. 

It is imposible for me to give a ATM to my wife she only gives me a ATM on special occasions.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 05:50:51 PM »

I'll have to inform my friend the stay-at-home dad and his breadwinner wife.  And my boyfriend, who would laugh his ass off if I told him that I'm going to be a full time home-maker and he has to provide for me.  

I'm pretty sure it's not typical for men these days to be ATMs to their families, yes.  They're usually at least co-ATMs.  

LOL!  If I was responding to his comments, it would have been in a response to him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What is a woman's role today?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.