Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What if we are wrong?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What if we are wrong?  (Read 15948 times)

One two three

• View Profile
Re: What if we are wrong?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »

What if people really do need to be centrally managed and controlled? What if all human kind is not ready for true liberty? What if I'm wrong about the philosophy of libertarianism or voluntaryism? If I were wrong on a practical level but not a moral one, would I still promote liberty? Would you?

You have a good point.  Unfortunately, there isn't really a super free place right now.  However, there is a super unfree place.  I recommend visiting North Korea and making notes.  Maybe write a best selling book about how NK rocks.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 01:10:33 PM »

And after a while the voluntary agreements will turn into force.

That's how feudalism started.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

NotYourSlave

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 01:31:26 PM »

and what do we have now?

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »

and what do we have now?

Not feudalism, unless you can show me the law on American books that tell me the differences between a slave, a serf, a villein, a freeman, a priest, a count, a duke, an earl, and a king.

NotYourSlave

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »

and what do we have now?

Not feudalism, unless you can show me the law on American books that tell me the differences between a slave, a serf, a villein, a freeman, a priest, a count, a duke, an earl, and a king.

are you implying that we're not slaves now?

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »

and what do we have now?

Yes, unless you can specifically point out the law that says that "such-and-such" is a slave.

Also please point out the local slave auctions. I might need to buy a big buck to keep around the house to fix things, as well as a svelte octoroon to keep for lovin'.

davann

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »

I'd have to agree that the vast majority of the world's population are slaves. It is just a kinder and gentler form then the previous versions. In fact, Western society slaves are over all happy and content. Which is why they should be left alone and not bothered with libertarianism.

Which person would you like to be?

A. Happy to go about life consuming things like TVs, fancy cars, sports and McMansions while blissfully unaware or unconcerned the government is holding the chains of captivity that are wrapped around your neck.

B. A pissed off libertarian that knows full well the weight of those chains while also completely aware there ain't shit you can do about it.

I say leave 'em alone. We all can be pissed enough for 'em. No need to ruin their day.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 02:29:05 PM »

I'd have to agree that the vast majority of the world's population are slaves. It is just a kinder and gentler form then the previous versions. In fact, Western society slaves are over all happy and content. Which is why they should be left alone and not bothered with libertarianism.

A. Happy to go about life consuming things like TVs, fancy cars, sports and McMansions while blissfully unaware or unconcerned the government is holding the chains of captivity that are wrapped around your neck.

B. A pissed off libertarian that knows full well the weight of those chains while also completely aware there ain't shit you can do about it.

I say leave 'em alone. We all can be pissed enough for 'em. No need to ruin their day.

But if they stay complacent, and we stay pissed off, then nothing will ever change. 

I also see no conflict between being an enthusiastic consumer and a political advocate at the same time. 

davann

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »

But if they stay complacent, and we stay pissed off, then nothing will ever change. 

I also see no conflict between being an enthusiastic consumer and a political advocate at the same time. 

I was only using consumerism as the current popular example of how “they” have different priorities. There is nothing inherently wrong with it. My point is, if that is what makes them happy maybe that is all okay. I mean we all strive to be happy in life. Libertarians are never going be the good guys when they go around fucking up people’s day by shoving foreign radical ideas at them.

Political advocacy just pisses people off, them and us. It is sort of universal. Libertarians could take the first step and end the cycle of advocacy.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2010, 03:13:37 PM »

I was only using consumerism as the current popular example of how “they” have different priorities. There is nothing inherently wrong with it. My point is, if that is what makes them happy maybe that is all okay. I mean we all strive to be happy in life. Libertarians are never going be the good guys when they go around fucking up people’s day by shoving foreign radical ideas at them.

Political advocacy just pisses people off, them and us. It is sort of universal. Libertarians could take the first step and end the cycle of advocacy.

In other words, if they stop taking their own principles seriously and treat politics as if it were a hobby rather than literally a matter of people being free or not.  Which it is, regardless of how many people would be happier without realizing that.

Basically, you're advocating that we shut up about injustice in order to avoid causing people to become uncomfortable.  No thanks. 

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2010, 03:34:51 PM »

Right now people are idiots. They need a central authority. It is wrong on the practical and moral level. Stop trying to spread it and just live and let live. Maybe some day they will kind enough to follow the example. Don't get your hopes up because they are idiots.

Why do people need a central authority?

The central authority has domesticated them. To push liberty on them is like dropping off your de-clawed and neutered cat in the woods.

of course, that's what the state wants you to think, isn't it?

What is it exactly that you are afraid of?  Do markets respond better when regulations and taxes are removed?

They do, but there is a transition phase. Look at post Soviet Russia.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

davann

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2010, 03:40:53 PM »

In other words, if they stop taking their own principles seriously and treat politics as if it were a hobby rather than literally a matter of people being free or not.  Which it is, regardless of how many people would be happier without realizing that.

Basically, you're advocating that we shut up about injustice in order to avoid causing people to become uncomfortable.  No thanks. 

Thats cool, the high road ain't for everyone.

NotYourSlave

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »

and what do we have now?

Yes, unless you can specifically point out the law that says that "such-and-such" is a slave.

Also please point out the local slave auctions. I might need to buy a big buck to keep around the house to fix things, as well as a svelte octoroon to keep for lovin'.

ifi don't pay my taxes what happens to me?  I'm clearly a slave.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2010, 03:50:59 PM »

Thats cool, the high road ain't for everyone.

If you can explain how being apathetic and ineffectual constitutes the "high road," have at it.  

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »

There weren't any regulations in place during the Gilded Age, and factories were hellholes.

Also, this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_beef_scandal

The US Army beef scandal shows that the US Federal government did a poor job of negotiating food for its "employees". You should note that they are and were a monopoly.

Remember that the "helllhole" factories were inundated with people looking for opportunities. They might have felt that the opportunity to work in that factory was better than the alternatives. Nobody was physically forced to work in those "hellholes". They were free to seek better opportunities elsewhere.

Further, "weren't any regulations" is false. Because of government intervention in industries, there were limits to competition that would otherwise have produced more alternatives.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What if we are wrong?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.