Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What do your anti gun friends/family say?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do your anti gun friends/family say?  (Read 4702 times)

Joseffritzl

• View Profile
What do your anti gun friends/family say?
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:20:18 AM »

My dad who is a hardcore liberal, never had a private job, thinks guns need to be banned. He has said in the past:

1. Use a frying pan instead

2. That's what doors are for

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: What do your anti gun friends/family say?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:05:17 AM »

My dad who is a hardcore liberal, never had a private job, thinks guns need to be banned. He has said in the past:

1. Use a frying pan instead

2. That's what doors are for

1. Police should be armed with frying pans.

2. Doors are for what? I don't think your father has a good grasp of ballistics if he thinks doors can be used as firearms.

I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:26:08 PM »

I don't remember, I think they're all fine with it now.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »

If they were truly scared of the guns, they wouldn't say much.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »

is he armed with a frying pan and a door when he walks down the street?, and it would be fine to ban guns if you could wave a magic wand and make them all go poof and make gun powder not work so people cant make new guns, I guess he would want to ban cross bows and swords too.

but anyway your parents wont listen to their son, if you knew more then he does it would probably piss him off,  their isn't much of a point in trying to persuade him unless you can make him watch a very persuasive movie about guns.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:07:42 PM »

Nobody in my family is anti-gun...
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

AOD_Horseman

• Yours Truly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »

The closest my family comes to being anti-gun is my mother, and she's only uncomfortable about them because her husband shot himself in the head in front of her. My dad's totally pro-gun, to the point where he's legally not supposed to have one, but... may or may not... anyway.

I had a discussion with a Brit who was all for the banning of guns everywhere, but he didn't get the sense and logic behind responsibility and protection. He claimed there wasn't a gun problem in England, but there was a knife problem. So I said a knife ban comes next (or is already in effect, if I recall), so what happens when people start using rocks and sticks? Ban trees and gravel?
Bushi no ichi-gon

razerfish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 04:20:34 AM »

What's wrong with being anti-gun? How about if a perfect non-lethal substitute is available? I'm a Libertarian and I'd prefer a non-gun world over gun free for all, especially if non-lethal substitutes exist, such as stun guns. The latest stun guns are bad-ass, fullfills your need for protection and allows me some protection from being collateral damage from a workplace gun incident or random shooting. We all win.

Seems like the wrong issue to pick a fight with statists over.  Gun control's not a statist position (unless you feel the state is disarming you so it can have monopoly advantage over force) or infringement upon your liberties or natural rights.  It's not even irrational. Why not go after them on things that actually do concern natural rights like imprisoning drug users or debt issues or the Fed? Or Obamacare and forcing people to buy health insurance on pain of imprisonment.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »

(unless you feel the state is disarming you

We do.

so it can have monopoly advantage over force)

They do.

I dont think many of us on here would advocate picking a "fight" with the statists, however we do work on changing all the issues you mentioned in our own ways (protest, noncompliance, etc).
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »

What's wrong with being anti-gun?

It demonstrates basic insecurity, exactly the way being "anti-hammer" does.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”
   Sigmund Freud

It also demonstrates the triumph of fear over intellect.

“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”
   Sigmund Freud

Being "anti-gun" also substitutes the rare case of being harmed for the not at all rare case of being saved from harm. Someone who is "anti-gun" would laugh at the idea of being "anti-fireextinguisher", since they acknowledge the benefits of having one, and yet a fireextinguisher can easily be used to kill.

Just like a hammer. Bang bang, Maxwell's silver hammer made sure that she was dead. Ba-dum dum.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Stoker

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:00:02 AM »

What's wrong with being anti-gun?

It demonstrates basic insecurity, exactly the way being "anti-hammer" does.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”
   Sigmund Freud

It also demonstrates the triumph of fear over intellect.

“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”
   Sigmund Freud

Being "anti-gun" also substitutes the rare case of being harmed for the not at all rare case of being saved from harm. Someone who is "anti-gun" would laugh at the idea of being "anti-fireextinguisher", since they acknowledge the benefits of having one, and yet a fireextinguisher can easily be used to kill.

Just like a hammer. Bang bang, Maxwell's silver hammer made sure that she was dead. Ba-dum dum.

I have a brother that is your classic "the state is good and will take care of everybody and we don't need to take care of ourselves" dumbass, and this post, particularly the Freud quotes, describes him exactly. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What do your anti gun friends/family say?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.