Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What do you think would happen if there was open ended immigration?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think would happen if there was open ended immigration?  (Read 3469 times)

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin

I believe this is a danger to the state so therefore the reason it is not allowed.

User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
Re: What do you think would happen if there was open ended immigration?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:28:56 AM »

Nothing else changes?

It would be pretty shit.

In the context of a free society, it might work out.

fase2000tdi

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:54:34 AM »

open ended immigration? THey'd probably just go on and on and on about immigration, doing it, etc.

I really hate open ended things...

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »

If the minimum wage was repealed, a lower cost of living as more people would compete more directly for wages, goods, and services.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

BonerJoe

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 04:26:21 PM »

I think Mexican Coke would be cheaper.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 04:27:16 PM »

I think Mexican Coke would be cheaper.

Only after we've repealed the sugar cane quota. Then it will be Mexican Coke paradise.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »

More taco trucks and cheaper landscaping options

BonerJoe

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 04:31:53 PM »

racist

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »

racist

And nicer car stereos.

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 04:37:21 PM »

[youtube=425,350]qdWDJWFoKCE[/youtube]

Oh ya

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 03:15:23 AM »

Think what would happen if you werent allowed to go across your state's boundaries without permission.  Open borders between the 50 states is one of the reasons we have had such a strong economy.  Only with the European Union is another area starting to allow economic freedom of trade (to a degree-they still have VAT taxes and we still regulate and tax interstate trade). 

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
  • Dr. Montessori: Discipline through liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 05:48:32 AM »

I believe this is a danger to the state so therefore the reason it is not allowed.

With the provisos that aliens could not participate in any of the state's health, education or welfare schemes or apply for citizenship, an absolute right for all people to live, work and travel where they choose would bring only the best sort of liberty/opportunity seeking individuals to live among us.

They would have no choice but to create their own voluntary enterprises, dedicated to providing health, education and welfare to their communities, in the form of for profit and non-profit agencies, the cost of which, would, I hope, be 100% tax (not income) deductible. Better yet, they should be exempt from taxes on any programs from which they are excluded.

In time, they would be so much more prosperous than citizens that many would gladly give up their citizenship to join the ranks of aliens that enjoy the benefit of a large degree of voluntary government of their lives.

And so the state would shrink and, I hope, eventually die via privatization, because of the enlightening example of the immigrants' self reliance.
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

fatcat

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »

Its a confusion to identify open immigration with an increase in immigration. Immigrants already come in thousands and millions illegally.

As to why the state is against immigration, its not because its a "threat". The government would love to have more tax payers. Its simply a tedious facet of modern democracy, coupled with centuries of patriotic propaganda. Governments won't allow free immigration because they want to stay in power, and not be replaced by the opposition who would rely on scare mongering to pick up votes.

The same way the government could actually make more money off legalizing drugs, if they weren't stuck down the path whereby no politician can admit legalizing drugs is the moral and intelligent thing to do, without being voted out of office next term.

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
  • Dr. Montessori: Discipline through liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 06:32:45 PM »

Its a confusion to identify open immigration with an increase in immigration. Immigrants already come in thousands and millions illegally.

As to why the state is against immigration, its not because its a "threat". The government would love to have more tax payers. Its simply a tedious facet of modern democracy, coupled with centuries of patriotic propaganda. Governments won't allow free immigration because they want to stay in power, and not be replaced by the opposition who would rely on scare mongering to pick up votes.

The same way the government could actually make more money off legalizing drugs, if they weren't stuck down the path whereby no politician can admit legalizing drugs is the moral and intelligent thing to do, without being voted out of office next term.

That's the state responding to market demand; the market demand for tyranny. People do not necessarily get the government that they as individuals want or deserve; they get the government that the market demands.

The only way to change market demand is by education. That may come through books and articles or by setting a successful example for people to follow. The second method is why unlimited immigration that's kept from participation in public health, education and welfare programs, could be the quick path to a stateless society.

The trick will be selling the idea. To do so will require putting the emphasis on cutting off aliens' ability to become parasites of the state or taking over the country by becoming citizens and how much more practical it is to do this than trying to enforce border restrictions.
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »

I would love to come if this was the case.I currently do a roaring trade at the local flea markets selling shopping bags because the market is demanding enviro bags which cost a dollar each at the supermarket so I source them from china and undercut the local supermarket by a few cents a bag.Word soon gets around....and it helps me earn some pocket money.....dont you love people's fear of climate change al gore is propagating for me?lol

The enterprising few would certainly not mind travelling to a country without a social security blanket .It is worth pursuing as an idea one day.....

User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What do you think would happen if there was open ended immigration?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.