Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What Could Ron Paul Actually Do as President?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What Could Ron Paul Actually Do as President?  (Read 7152 times)

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: What Could Ron Paul Actually Do as President?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »

I dont know guys. You make some pretty good points, so im kinda torn here.

On one hand, the "general" public is......... well, pretty fuckin' dumb and would look at 4 years of a RP presidency as a failure because of all the heinous shit coming this way economically, which would undoubtedly push them in the opposite direction next time around and just vote for some Hitler-like guy to counter what they experienced in the 4 previous years.

On the other hand, I realize a president can only do so much, which is a comfort to me in all honesty. I suppose it would be fun to see how much govt he could roll back. I like the guy, but I also realize that putting your hopes in ANY government creature, even Ron Paul, can be a dangerous thing when you get right down to it.

So I dont know. Its all just a science expriment gone all wrong, but sometimes the results make for some good entertainment. Its a train wreck. Im just a rubber-necker driving by.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »

Isn't he pretty likely to do what he does now?
Say "NO!"

His "No" would just have a lot more clout. Congress could still pass laws and cause trouble, but the time they'd spend overriding each and every veto means less time for coming up with new ones.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Brooklyn Red Leg

• The Red Legged Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 09:41:23 PM »

Well, one thing for certain he COULD do is to make it where we stop bombing brown people across the planet. That could be a significant thing, assuming he becomes POTUS. He could also undo alot of Executive Orders that W. and OBOMBA have crammed down our throats.
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Er_Murazor's KoLWiki Page

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 09:43:47 PM »

Say "NO!"

His "No" would just have a lot more clout. Congress could still pass laws and cause trouble, but the time they'd spend overriding each and every veto means less time for coming up with new ones.

Dontcha think we're past the point where that matters anymore? I mean, unless they actually CUT about 90% of the already existing spending, isnt it a little late to worry about just stopping new stuff?

Not disagreeing with what youre saying, I just think were beyond that point in the game.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »

Say "NO!"

Dontcha think we're past the point where that matters anymore? I mean, unless they actually CUT about 90% of the already existing spending, isnt it a little late to worry about just stopping new stuff?

Not disagreeing with what youre saying, I just think were beyond that point in the game.

He'd start cutting programs and departments as well. But it still would look a lot like a tennis match, with everything bouncing back and forth between the two branches of gubment.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 11:12:19 PM »

On the other hand, I realize a president can only do so much, which is a comfort to me in all honesty. I suppose it would be fun to see how much govt he could roll back. I like the guy, but I also realize that putting your hopes in ANY government creature, even Ron Paul, can be a dangerous thing when you get right down to it.

Yeah, that's why I stopped voting for politicians (I still vote down most initiatives or referenda, when I bother going to the polls.)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 11:45:11 PM »

My prediction:

The candidate that conforms the most with liberty minded thinking and gets the most attention for being that... whoever he or she is, will get between zero and one-point-two percent of the national popular vote.

Just like they always do.

If I am wrong, call me out on it two weeks after the election (After the numbers have settled down) and I will make a video on Youtube of me licking a cake that has been made into the shape of a dog's asshole.

The cake will be of a flavor I do not like.

MARK MY FUCKING WORDS. That is all.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 11:49:27 PM »

...and I will make a video on Youtube of me licking a cake that has been made into the shape of a dog's asshole.

Will YouTube allow that? I mean... cake. It has an awful lot of carbs.

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 12:00:32 AM »

My prediction:

The candidate that conforms the most with liberty minded thinking and gets the most attention for being that... whoever he or she is, will get between zero and one-point-two percent of the national popular vote.

Just like they always do.

If I am wrong, call me out on it two weeks after the election (After the numbers have settled down) and I will make a video on Youtube of me licking a cake that has been made into the shape of a dog's asshole.

The cake will be of a flavor I do not like.

MARK MY FUCKING WORDS. That is all.

words marked. He's polling (for whatever that's worth) equal to or better than any other candidate in any poll outside of republican primary polls. Still don't think it means any more than another round of bukkake for us though...

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

BonerJoe

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 10:53:12 AM »

This is like saying "What could I do if I won the lottery?"

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »

Holy crap! That's EXACTLY what I was comparing it to in my head.

Like, it's fine to fantasize about what you would do with the money if you won the lottery. Most everyone does it. And yes, it's POSSIBLE you will win, but srsly... don't get your hopes up. Don't like... start making plans about how you're going to solve all your financial problems by winning the lottery. That's rontarded. I mean retarded.

BonerJoe

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »

Don't like... start making plans about how you're going to solve all your financial problems by winning the lottery.

Unfortunately, this seems to be my mother's retirement plan.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »

Don't like... start making plans about how you're going to solve all your financial problems by winning the lottery.

You mean Social Security? Yeah, unfortunately that's a lot of people's retirement plan.

BonerJoe

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:24 PM »

You mean Social Security? Yeah, unfortunately that's a lot of people's retirement plan.

:|

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »

Yep.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What Could Ron Paul Actually Do as President?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.