Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What are you drinking tonight?
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 121   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you drinking tonight?  (Read 363533 times)

Riddler

Re: What are you drinking tonight?
« Reply #1200 on: December 26, 2008, 04:40:58 PM »

Parents had family friends over for dinner. Had some sparkling shiraz, and then some pinot noir. The sparkling shiraz is cool, but I like red with more kick than the pinot noir had.

You'd probably like dago red.  Basement brew.  Some of it sucks, but when the guy knows what he's doing, its surprisingly good. 

Its kinda funny, because the first time you get offered it, you think what the fuck is this shit...  this guy is offering me some basement dreck and I'm suppposed to say how good it is...  Okay, I'm game.       It comes in a friggin used wine bottle, for fucks sake.  It just seems like its gonna be shitty.  How can it NOT be shitty?

But then you get a whack, and its really powerfully flavored.  Like a deep red wine with a splash of purple grape juice in it.  Its like Supergrape.  Kinda like when someone goes crazy making powerful coffee and puts five extra scoops into the coffee filter, it rocks your head back with the blast of flavor. 

It leaves viscous legs down the inside of the glass, like heavy reds would do, and the alcohol is generally way past what normal wines would contain.  It goes okay on ice, obviously a no-no in the more gentrified circles.  Its a lot of fun if you disregard the refinements you've developed from tasting what you've been conditioned into regarding as "good". 

that's got head cracked-open  hangover written all over it.
sugary alcohol = hangover

Yeah, somewhat.  I never drank it solo.  More like sippin' with a beer.  SoCo is sugary, Sambucca is sugary, Firewater is sugary.  If you drink Dago Red from start to finish, you deserve to lose an organ. 

so, is this homemade red wine?
or a real product?

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: December 26, 2008, 11:31:36 PM »

Now I have more vodka than I'd drink in a year.  I got two bottles for Christmas.   :lol:

Let's have a party.

Can we invite the guy who's afraid of the buttsex? 

Hey! I'm not afraid of buttsex I'm just not interested in it. My company is having a party tonight with an open bar! So i'll be drinking whatevers available

Dude.  Three months ago I thought it was revolting.  Now I'm curious.  Shit happens.   :lol:
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: December 26, 2008, 11:52:14 PM »

Now I have more vodka than I'd drink in a year.  I got two bottles for Christmas.   :lol:

Let's have a party.

Can we invite the guy who's afraid of the buttsex? 

Hey! I'm not afraid of buttsex I'm just not interested in it. My company is having a party tonight with an open bar! So i'll be drinking whatevers available

Dude.  Three months ago I thought it was revolting.  Now I'm curious.  Shit happens.   :lol:

well i might be interested in giving it but theres no way in hell i would be interested in receiving

Fair enough.  I'm not sure I'd be okay with my S.O. wanting to take it up the ass either. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Riddler

« Reply #1203 on: December 27, 2008, 10:23:28 AM »

Parents had family friends over for dinner. Had some sparkling shiraz, and then some pinot noir. The sparkling shiraz is cool, but I like red with more kick than the pinot noir had.

You'd probably like dago red.  Basement brew.  Some of it sucks, but when the guy knows what he's doing, its surprisingly good. 

Its kinda funny, because the first time you get offered it, you think what the fuck is this shit...  this guy is offering me some basement dreck and I'm suppposed to say how good it is...  Okay, I'm game.       It comes in a friggin used wine bottle, for fucks sake.  It just seems like its gonna be shitty.  How can it NOT be shitty?

But then you get a whack, and its really powerfully flavored.  Like a deep red wine with a splash of purple grape juice in it.  Its like Supergrape.  Kinda like when someone goes crazy making powerful coffee and puts five extra scoops into the coffee filter, it rocks your head back with the blast of flavor. 

It leaves viscous legs down the inside of the glass, like heavy reds would do, and the alcohol is generally way past what normal wines would contain.  It goes okay on ice, obviously a no-no in the more gentrified circles.  Its a lot of fun if you disregard the refinements you've developed from tasting what you've been conditioned into regarding as "good". 

that's got head cracked-open  hangover written all over it.
sugary alcohol = hangover

Yeah, somewhat.  I never drank it solo.  More like sippin' with a beer.  SoCo is sugary, Sambucca is sugary, Firewater is sugary.  If you drink Dago Red from start to finish, you deserve to lose an organ. 

so, is this homemade red wine?
or a real product?

Home made. 

I'm sure they do it everywhere, but around here, we have a rather old and storied history of wine making.  Theres a town, not far up the road, that is known to be the Italian center of the universe.  You've got your famous enclaves like Little Italy, and Jersey is famous for its Italians, and this one little town here in my back yard.  The Germans went to a certain town, the Poles went to a certain town, and so did the Italians.  They just, did.  It has something to do with the coal mines in the late 1800s. 

So, anyway, the Italians made wine.  Lots of it.  They'd grow these red-purple grapes in their back yards by the ton.  You're roughly my age, so you probably remember your pals grandpas and grandmas being different than modern grandparents, when you were a kid.  It'd be nothing unusual to go into someones basement and see fifty glass gallon-sized jugs on a wooden shelf, they all had it.  And these were not casual experiments, these were older men of the family who tried (often successfully) to make some really good brew, and would swap it and sample it with pride.  You know how Italian people are from a generation ago.  You'd have the older gents who went for mellow flavor, with a kick, and the middle-aged guys who brewed for horsepower. 

Hence the name, Dago Red.  Its one of the very few epithets you can get away with like that.  I suppose some of the young turks might take some offense to it, but thats what we always called it, and everyone knew what it was.  It wasn't a smear to call it that. 

Nowadays, you don't see much of it.  People still do it, its not a lost art.  But its more like a keeping-with-your-roots thing, and they don't make it in that fuckin volume.  "Grandpa used to do it, so I do it once in a while.  He taught me a few tricks" 

Last time I had it, it came into the bar in a Gatorade bottle.  We all sat there praising it, it was a treat.  Try bring booze into a bar sometime, only stuff like that would fly.  Even the cops around here would probably let you slide if you were hauling a dozen bottles on your back seat (but weren't drunk), "Whats that, in da jars?"   Dago Red, officer.  "Oh, any good?"  Yeah, I wouldn't have a dozen bottles if it sucked, right?   "Ha, true!  Okay, seeya." 

ok, i'm on board with ya. (just thought that, maybe, some piss-hole company might be selling this shit , on a regional basis)
my town has/had a lot of itals, stoneworkers that came here in the late 1800's to work in da quarries.
they all made basement wine. it is a lost art, sad to say.
i made wine once. it kinda sucked, but....practice, practice...
the old guys my dad grew up with, told stories of how the quarry owners would allow them 'one' bottle of homemade, at lunch each day.   imagine that shit? working with multi-ton slabs of granite overhead? after drinking an entire bottle in a 1/2 hr??? :shock:

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: December 27, 2008, 08:17:06 PM »

Limes, not lemons.  I don't know why anybody uses lemons. 

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: December 27, 2008, 08:45:04 PM »

Limes, not lemons.  I don't know why anybody uses lemons. 
I don't like lemon in anything, except on fish. 

Fish, and in iced tea.  That's about it for me. 

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: January 01, 2009, 01:18:32 AM »

Imperial IPA. This shit definitely has edged something else out of my top 5 favorite beers.

Unfortunately, I'm drinking alone. On New Year's Eve. Fuck.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

Taors

« Reply #1207 on: January 01, 2009, 03:44:38 AM »

Well, I know damn well you guys are gunna tare me a new one, but i joined the US army infantry.  I was in basic training and EIT for 16 weeks.

Where is your perm. duty station?

Fort Bennington sucks.

Yeah, dude.  that's where I went to basic.  I can soundly say that I never want to go to Georgia ever again.  It's even worse there than back home in MN.

I'm heading down to Ft. Bliss Texas on the fourth of January, and hopefully will be staying there for two years before deploying over to Afghanistan.

The fuck got in to you?! 

I got no idea what you're talking about.

And my dad did his best to prevent this new development, Braskey.  Haha, haven't changed a bit man.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 01, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »

Imperial IPA. This shit definitely has edged something else out of my top 5 favorite beers.

Unfortunately, I'm drinking alone. On New Year's Eve. Fuck.

Don't feel too bad.  I didn't even bother drinking.  I thought about taking a shot of vodka and calling it a night - but then I just crawled in bed.   :lol:
         -George W. Bush

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 01, 2009, 09:54:43 AM »

I had some sort of prosecco last night with dinner (at a restaurant, came with the NYE menu).  It was pretty good.

Riddler

« Reply #1210 on: January 01, 2009, 10:41:23 AM »

we drank the fucking SAILS off the boat, last night.
retiring @ 2:30 AM, with @ 6-7 (lost count) small children running amuck @ 7:30.........
lots o peeps stayed over....FUCKKKKKKKKKKK
*please go home now*

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 01, 2009, 10:30:24 PM »

I had some sort of Japanese wine, although I only took a couple drinks since I haven't been feeling too hot lately.  And then I switched to water and Gatorade. 
         -George W. Bush

WallyC33

« Reply #1212 on: January 02, 2009, 02:05:22 AM »

Rasberry Stoli and seven with a lime twist.

WallyC33

« Reply #1213 on: January 02, 2009, 02:07:53 AM »

Usually drink beefeater and tonic with lime

WallyC33

« Reply #1214 on: January 02, 2009, 02:26:20 AM »

Rasberry Stoli and seven with a lime twist.

Dude, that sounds fuckin awful. 

It's actually fairly tasty. not my normal drink. What sounds awful about it other than it being wayyyy to sweet?
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 121   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What are you drinking tonight?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.