Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Welfare makes up 35 percent of wages in USA
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welfare makes up 35 percent of wages in USA  (Read 4079 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Welfare makes up 35 percent of wages in USA
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »

Government payouts—including Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance—make up more than a third of total wages and salaries of the U.S. population, a record figure that will only increase if action isn’t taken before the majority of Baby Boomers enter retirement.

Even as the economy has recovered, social welfare benefits make up 35 percent of wages and salaries this year, up from 21 percent in 2000 and 10 percent in 1960, according to TrimTabs Investment Research using Bureau of Economic Analysis data.

“The U.S. economy has become alarmingly dependent on government stimulus,” said Madeline Schnapp, director of Macroeconomic Research at TrimTabs, in a note to clients. “Consumption supported by wages and salaries is a much stronger foundation for economic growth than consumption based on social welfare benefits.”

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41969508/
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Welfare makes up 35 percent of wages in USA
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »

I wonder at what percentage it will all fall apart. 40%....... 50%? How much more can it handle?
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

davann

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »

I guess the question of how much more would depend on the difference of actual wages and welfare wages. I believe average wages for workers has not risen in the past couple of decades has it?

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 04:49:08 PM »

I think we will become a third world nation before it collapses, we can only hope that the states will succeed before then making the feds collapse 

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 04:51:32 PM »

I guess the question of how much more would depend on the difference of actual wages and welfare wages. I believe average wages for workers has not risen in the past couple of decades has it?

If you account for inflation, actual wages have decreased, necessitating the need for 2 workers per household and sometimes more than one job each. Each dollar of welfare or actual wages buys far less than it used to, but the number of dollars given to welfare  has kept up with inflation far greater than the private sector.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:55:32 PM »

You could compare it to the UK.  They are still limping along with a much higher welfare burden than here in the US.  They also have a higher government worker ratio than we have in the US.  Could the UK be the canary in the coal mind for what the US should expect?  Maybe not because the UK isn't attempting the police the world at the same time.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »

You could compare it to the UK.  They are still limping along with a much higher welfare burden than here in the US.  They also have a higher government worker ratio than we have in the US.  Could the UK be the canary in the coal mind for what the US should expect?  Maybe not because the UK isn't attempting the police the world at the same time.

Plus the fact that they aren't the worlds reserve currency, so they have less far to drop on the economic scale than we stand to. If we lose reserve status, which is happenening a little at a time every week, the US is FUCKED.

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:01:57 PM »

"Government" "employee" "wages" should count as "welfare" also.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »

I don't agree, but I would be interested to know that percentage - both on it's own and added with the government welfare payouts.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »

I don't agree, but I would be interested to know that percentage - both on it's own and added with the government welfare payouts.
I remember recently seeing a stat showing that just over 50% of American citizens receive government money of some kind.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 05:41:47 PM »

I remember recently seeing a stat showing that just over 50% of American citizens receive government money of some kind.
This is how we know that democracy is working. :)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 05:49:35 PM »

Huh. So that would put the percentage of the american workforce employed by federal government is 15%... in theory.
I'm curious - will see what I can dig up after I put the kidlets to bed.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »

It's debatable how much of that is "welfare."  A lot of it is stuff that would be handled (better) by the market if the government didn't do it, so it would still exist.  It would probably be about 1/3 as costly and more effective, though.

You mean...other peoples' money, stolen by and recycled through government?

davann

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 07:08:51 PM »

I'm curious - will see what I can dig up after I put the kidlets to bed.

The census people might have some data on their web site. Not sure about the accuracy.

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »

It's not a binary attribute.  Every job in the world is based in government theft to some degree.  For example, the IT Security career that I walked away from had an ever-growing fuckload of government funding and government pressure to acquire our services, especially after 9/11.  Most of IT Security compliance is "theater", same as in airports, etc.  We are all buried in government shit, it's just a matter of staying afloat and holding your chin up...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Welfare makes up 35 percent of wages in USA

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.