Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Weapons for the Poor
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Weapons for the Poor  (Read 7047 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Weapons for the Poor
« on: July 20, 2007, 03:07:26 PM »

I just had an idea that I wanted to express before I forget it. Is there a charity that raises money and volunteers to provide training and weapons to the poor? If not, can we start something like that in NH? A lot of gun laws seem designed to make weapons more expensive and difficult for lower class people to obtain. It would be a good measure for lowering crime in impoverished neighborhoods and I think it would be good PR for the right to bear arms. It shows that we don't just want weapons for ourselves, but that we want power to be distributed amongst the people rather than centralized amongst the elite.

wtfk

Re: Weapons for the Poor
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 03:15:48 PM »

That might be a fair idea--if the charity requires that recipients take a training program and work with an instructor who has the ability to veto the decision.  That way, you could screen out the gangbangers who want a cheap supply and the people who want to just get their hands on one without putting any effort into learning what they're doing.  Of course, these requirements would be implemented on the initiative of the charity, not by external requirements.

One problem would be that the charity would probably have to get a FFL because of the quantity of firearms going through their hands--then BATFE will try to dictate additional terms.

Matyalynnrin

• FTL Shriner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:35:29 PM »

You could set it up so the charity doesn't sell any guns, instead have them pay for the recipient's gun indirectly. Have a person complete the courses then give them a voucher/coupon stating a particular gun/type off gun that it can used for, and then the person themself goes and buys the gun.

()

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 03:49:16 PM »

It's been my experience that poor people don't need any help buying guns.

Perhaps your typical "poor" college student or single mother could.  But pretty much every person I know who lives in a trailer (which is a lot) owns a gun of some kind, although most are rifles or shotguns.

I mean, shotguns cost $130 at Walmart.  They're not exactly that far out of the price range of anyone.  And if you're a person who can't save up $130 over the course of a few months, you've probably got bigger problems than defense.

Unless you're talking about pistols, which are quite expensive, IMO.  It might be tough to convince philanthropists to spend $500 to give a person an item they don't "need", when that money could be spent funding medical costs or school supplies.  I don't know if you've done much charity work, but it takes a lot of effort to get even $500.  Most people won't give more than a few bucks, and you're lucky if you get a handful of well-off people giving you $50.

Not to sound like a Negative Nancy here, but there are other issues as well.  The day someone gets killed by one of these guns (accident or otherwise) that *wasn't* self defense, people will flip their shit and find a way to blame you, which is disastrous if you're relying on donations.  They'll say you didn't do a good enough job, they'll ask if you should be held responsible, and they'll basically tar, feather, and fuck you in the ass.

That doesn't even get into the black market problem.  If they're poor enough to need a free gun, I'd say there was a high risk they'll fence it for some quick cash, and then the guns are going to start showing up at crimes.  That's another can of worms.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 03:55:44 PM by () »

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 04:10:30 PM »

Problem is, NH has the least poor of any state.  There are a lot of poor in a couple near-by towns in MA but they are very restrictive on what weapons are allowed.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Manuel_OKelly

• Objectivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 06:05:04 PM »

As far as the comment, about the $130 shotguns that's good for self-defense, but what about places that allow Concealed Carry permits.

I would make it so that you have to own land in the community. Not because I want to discriminate against those that don't own land, but because those that do own houses, are less likely to commit crimes. Maybe you could have a points system. Like this one, then you could vary the points based on how much security you want.

Owns a house or business in the community - 4
No past history of crime - 3 (pretty much covered by the normal Gun purchase requirements)
7 references of Character - 4
Over 25 years of age - 2
Over 30 years of age - 4
etc

Combine this with a strict policy on things like violent crime and I think it would be effective. My work, which takes care of the elderly, uses the 7 references policy to screen potential employees, I have to say it works well, all of my coworkers are responsible.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:08:00 PM by Manuel_OKelly »

wtfk

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 06:59:37 PM »

So, in other words, you have no interest in all men being treated equally under the law?

NHArticleTen

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 08:30:24 PM »

Here is another situation where friends take care of friends...
We don't need a charity type thing going on...

We just need to help our own families, friends, neighbors, and associates...
If we all did this...and those receiving our help also helped THEIR families, friends, neighbors, and associates...

That!
Would be awesome!

So I do it...
And others do as well...

Feel free to join in...

You don't need a "charity" or "organization" or anyone's "permission"...

Just do it...

wtfk

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 02:46:06 PM »

I think you're selling charity short.  It just doesn't have to be motherment pretending to do charity.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 03:20:27 PM »

Didn't you see the Stavin Marvin South Park show?  The poor people just stand around while the rich people hoard all of the donations.  If it was not for Eric Cartman, the rich would have gotten away with it.

Well, WTFK, real life doesn't have an Eric Cartman.  I just thought you should know.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 03:22:24 PM »

real life doesn't have an Eric Cartman.

Now that's a damn shame.
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

wtfk

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 08:56:34 PM »

Well, WTFK, real life doesn't have an Eric Cartman.  I just thought you should know.

:roll:

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 05:22:57 AM »

Bullshit I bet there are thousands.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 10:53:14 PM »

Gun adoption program. 

Old man with a few weapons he doesn't use anymore, let people fill out a request, and he interviews them for his donor weapon.  If he doesn't like 'em, he simply says no. 

AlexLibman

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 11:17:52 PM »

You can buy an "Assault Gun" for just 350 gil in the Midgar Sector 7 weapon shop!

Oh, wait, you want cheap and effective weapons in real life?!...  Good luck!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Weapons for the Poor

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.