Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial FTL Stock Contest
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial FTL Stock Contest  (Read 34201 times)

Bill Brasky

Re: Unofficial FTL Stock Contest
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2009, 11:50:14 PM »

The larger the trades, the safer it is.
How is this?

Go figure it out. 

jeffersonish

« Reply #241 on: June 03, 2009, 03:02:44 PM »

buy 10800 FAS @ 9.65

jeffersonish

« Reply #242 on: June 03, 2009, 03:59:35 PM »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2009, 08:43:16 PM »

Buy 13,000 FAS @ 10.60 aftermarket. 

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #244 on: June 07, 2009, 12:11:03 PM »

Hey, can someone post a totals update?  It's been two weeks since the last one.  I wanna know if I should stop faking stupidity and start trading again, but I don't wanna get too far ahead...  Ya know how Brasky gets...

Bill Brasky

« Reply #245 on: June 07, 2009, 05:32:53 PM »

Hey, can someone post a totals update?  It's been two weeks since the last one.  I wanna know if I should stop faking stupidity and start trading again, but I don't wanna get too far ahead...  Ya know how Brasky gets...

Do the math, Uberwiz. 

MAG @ 1.44*98632= duh?

jeffersonish

« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2009, 06:05:52 PM »

I only post totals so people can verify their results and see how they're doing in relation to others and I only do it when I feel like it. Sorry, but I don't feel like it today -- at least not at this moment.

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #247 on: June 07, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »

Yawn...  Well, I ain't wasting 30 seconds of my precious time to backtrack how many different stocks everyone has either. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #248 on: June 07, 2009, 08:22:32 PM »

Yawn...  Well, I ain't wasting 30 seconds of my precious time to backtrack how many different stocks everyone has either.  

You're playing against you, in case you haven't realized how the world works.  Its only called a contest.  Other peoples performance is irrelevant towards your strategy.  

jeffersonish

« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2009, 01:10:44 PM »

buy 2000 BGU @ 35.33

jeffersonish

« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »

jeffersonish

« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2009, 03:08:13 PM »

Brasky,

Today I was looking at TNA at about 10:40 and saw 10-day and 20-day charts where the MACD indicators looked favorable. I thought I should look again if and when it dropped from it's current level around $30.05 to $29.80 and set an alert. I then got involved in a discussion and by the time I came back and looked, it has risen to a high of $31.27 after hitting a low of... wait for it... $29.81!!  Off by a penny, so no alert triggered. Otherwise, I believe I would have taken a look, seen it start to trend up, and bought at about $29.85- 29.90. Damn the luck.

Anyway, now it is off its intraday high. Obviously, in hindsight my assessment was correct when comparing results, but that doesn't mean my technical analysis was correct necessarily. I'm wondering if you might have pulled the trigger at the point where I set an alert, i.e. at $30.05 with the short and long moving averages converging under the line... the red indicator having reached a positive slope back toward the line. (I'm not sure what to call the indicator that is a red and green filled line above and below the "neutral" line.)

Oh, and yes, I do remember your advice to track the underlying index instead of the ETF.  :oops:

Bill Brasky

« Reply #252 on: June 14, 2009, 02:09:49 PM »

Brasky,

Today I was looking at TNA at about 10:40 and saw 10-day and 20-day charts where the MACD indicators looked favorable. I thought I should look again if and when it dropped from it's current level around $30.05 to $29.80 and set an alert. I then got involved in a discussion and by the time I came back and looked, it has risen to a high of $31.27 after hitting a low of... wait for it... $29.81!!  Off by a penny, so no alert triggered. Otherwise, I believe I would have taken a look, seen it start to trend up, and bought at about $29.85- 29.90. Damn the luck.

Anyway, now it is off its intraday high. Obviously, in hindsight my assessment was correct when comparing results, but that doesn't mean my technical analysis was correct necessarily. I'm wondering if you might have pulled the trigger at the point where I set an alert, i.e. at $30.05 with the short and long moving averages converging under the line... the red indicator having reached a positive slope back toward the line. (I'm not sure what to call the indicator that is a red and green filled line above and below the "neutral" line.)

Oh, and yes, I do remember your advice to track the underlying index instead of the ETF.  :oops:

I'll have to look later, I'm not sure what custom toolz you're using.  I use volume overlaid bars with SMA and bollinger bands.  I like to use five minute candles on a ten day chart to find a buy target, and two minute candles when I have a open trade to grab the sell. 

Everything worked like shit this week, individual stocks were outperforming the sectors. 

If you can't find an underlying index, use the 1x iShare fund or spider, whatever you can find that isn't leveraged, but still tracks the same index. 

Short and long moving averages converging on a 3x is probably fucked, because decay will skew the long average, especially on a more volatile and decayed fund like FAS/FAZ.  Which is the exact reason you MUST use the index.  Example, check the RIFIN a month ago, maybe it hit 625.  If it zigzags for a few weeks, check again for 625 area (its like 665 now, I think off the top of my head).  When it finds 625 again, FAS will NOT be 10.50.  It'll be maybe 9.  So charting the price is worthless in a long analysis. 

(slight exaggerations on prices to illustrate the point)

Bill Brasky

« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2009, 01:12:51 AM »

Brasky,

Arite, doing a q/d TNA looky-loo, it looks right to me. 

Pull the 20-day with 1-hour candles, notice the pattern.  Its pretty predictable.  I'm not using the Index, this is rough-hand. 

The reason you always keep the Index in mind is a frame of reference, constant play of one 3x will falter over time and ultimately not return to the same price.  TNA will eventually succumb to decay, so if you play it much and the market patterns around in a trough for the next several months, which I believe it will (S+P 800 to 900, this summer it could do that) so you want to get used to that. 

With that patterning, you can't expect to know 30 is a good low and 37 is a good high.  Eventually 25 may be a good low, 31 could be a good high.  I'm really trying to kick this into the head of 3x players, its very important to understand how this decay works, you can get burnt if you focus on the dollar value.

You could go off to play in the Energy Bull for a month, for example, and lose your edge in the TNA.  Then you come back, holyfucks!  TNA is 29!  BUY!  Except 29 is high, and you fucked up.  Lose big wampum, frownyface.  I don't think you would do that, because you actually have a good grasp of the 3x by now.  But when I write, other people read, and I need to reinforce this or I would be dispensing advice irresponsibly.  Cool?  Cool.

Anyway, observe 20day chart.  Dig the pattern.

Slide pic thataway>>>

Green, red, green, red.  See that pattern?  I'd have a BUY target in that pattern around $30.  You were right. 

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2009, 01:31:37 AM »

SELL all 98,632 shares of MAG @ 1.75 (Friday's close) = $172,606.

BUY lots of bombs and a plane ticket to Copenhagen.   :x
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial FTL Stock Contest

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 30 queries.