Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Underemployed with MBA's
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Underemployed with MBA's  (Read 18074 times)

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
Re: Underemployed with MBA's
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »

Who decides if you're underemployed or not?  You?

This is a good idea.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Riddler

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2010, 01:09:54 PM »

Since you are on the slow side, perhaps I will have to remind you of this a few more times, before you stop talkin' shit, like a damn fool.

well, at least i'm not delusional.
you think you're an ''artist'', when in actuality, you're nothing more than a talentless freak.
you even said yourself that you are unemployable.
they take one look at you & head for the fucking hills....

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2010, 05:37:32 PM »

Stable employment is for losers still stuck in the 20th century.  Your time is most valuable when you provide certain services you are specifically great at to a number of clients via an open market online project bidding system.

Especially those with an MBA who think they're not getting thier fair market value from their stable employment.  The title of this thread is shameful.  If they were particularly good at business they'd have nothing to complain about the fact that they have MBAs and are still not particularly good at business should have started and ended this thread.

The Green Bastard

• From Parts Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »

The title of this thread is shameful. 

This

If they were particularly good at business they'd have nothing to complain about.

and This.

thersites

• Government Child Care
    • View Profile
    • Sandusky County Politics Examiner
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2010, 11:27:20 PM »

There is no such thing as "underemployed" if all you have is a piece of paper hanging on the wall.

How about a condensation-There is no such thing as "underemployment". It is a silly fascist myth. Or an insult.

I myself have an MBA, I actually found it invaluable in understanding economics(since I questioned what I was presented), and am even pursuing a MA in History. The MBA is little more than a badge though, if that, in the business world, whereas my History MA will be in essence a teaching degree(and I'm on a long term Doctoral track). Here though I know the system is utterly flooded with government booty, I have the sense I might do some good-after all, everyone must take a entry level history course. I'm a voluntaryist, so my History class might be a bit...unique. (actually, I'm hoping to get my thesis, The Propaganda of Knighthood as it Relates to the Growth of the State in the Hundred Years War, published academically with the help of my Prof.-quite a coup, and a virtual guarantee of teaching jobs...even before the doctorate).

I sell toilet paper wholesale, and enjoy my gig, and am not "underemployed". What an insulting term for anyone who works for a living...seriously, take that odorous, statist, terminology and go get fucked.  Now.

How about there is such a thing as underemployment.  Unemployed is defined as people who cannot find jobs - they were laid off, are between jobs, or have an excuse (albeit it often is a shitty excuse).  Underemployment is people who were employed, became unemployed, then managed to find employment below the compensation standards of their previous employment or in hours, or they are employed in a capacity under that of their trade.  For example an experienced welder who cannot find a welding job, working as warehouse labor. 

Underemployment is usually a temporary phase in the job cycle of the individual, where the local economy is not in a boom phase and the job seeker has to "settle".  People with experience really don't like to do the settling, because they have to learn a new job and it drastically impedes the job hunt in their field - everyone knows its pretty hard to get to the interview when you have a job-related commitment. 

Similarly there is underemployment in the white collar world as well, there is competition in the job market between graduates and the experienced for a limited number of professional positions.  Their degree may have been ill-chosen, and there are no positions.  And just as likely, there are a limited number of positions in a saturated market, and the new graduate has to deal with the catch-22 situation of need experience to get the job. 

The experienced manager is all-too aware of these difficulties in the job market, and has reasons for not wanting to hire the inexperienced graduate.  Mostly because its more economical to hire an experienced person over an inexperienced one, because of the learning curve parallels.  A new employee with experience will still have a learning curve within the job, until they become proficient with the localized specifics.  But they know the inexperienced graduate may be using them to gain entry-level experience, and is prone to flight when a better employment source takes them on, which wastes the valuable job training and high turn-over is extremely expensive. 

Where the term of underemployment does not fit the definition is when the inexperienced graduate wrongly assigns it to himself.  They are not underemployed until they have a skillset which includes experience.  If they are employed in a job that does not correspond to their degree, they are simply employed and seeking a career in their field of study. 

Even more laughable is when the inexperienced assigns himself the presumptuous title of "overqualified", which should be reserved for the experienced professional who is getting squeezed out of entry-level positions by new grads for similar reasons, mainly the risk of short-term expectations based on an outstanding resume' which includes experience, and not a simple accumulation of certifications.  The overqualified will be a saturation effect as a boom cycle begins to contract, but since salary commensurates with experience it may be a more economically viable option to choose the less experienced candidate, put him in an entry-level position and raise the workforce from within.  The existence of overqualified applicants seeking underemployment will give a more positive light to the graduate, as it is a signal that upward flight is less likely due to the saturation from above which is necessitating the overqualified to seek underemployment. 

Personally, I don't care what the degree or field is, because the applicant isn't worth much without experience - which is doubly proven by a employers willingness to take them over the overqualified - that experience is a valid argument for a higher wage. 

If you have an MBA you should know that. 

How about, silly me, I read past the propaganda, and wonder just what the fuck we are talking about here? It's nothing more than the medieval "just price" theory. You are worth not a fucking cent more than anyone is willing to pay you, nor is anyone if we are to be free, Drifter, and I even think you know it.

What you bring to the table is wonderful, but if my shop likes chert over diamonds, you're fucked. If there is no market for welders....learn Toyota mechanics(though my MBA does make me wonder if you've considered why US welders are unable to find employment agianst the non, or less, -state protected Indian welders out there< I'm a handy guy, I can weld-not professional level, but it's not brain surgery)  or something with a market that needs your skills. Crying foul asks for a protector of your wage, which is, of course, thuggery.

How can "underemployment" be anything but a political term designed to garner state largess?

Answer: It cannot. Not if wages are an element of a free market-hence the term "under-employment" is nonsense at best, and a fascist  endeavor at worst.

Oh, I do know that I'm expected to extol the State as part of my being an MBA, but I refuse. I"ll leave that to you, Bill, you seem to be doing a good job-though it be based more on ego than principle.

Please, join us who believe in true free exchange. Underemployed is no fucking different than under-served, just the tears are slightly more masked, and in different colored eyes...still it results in state theft.
"your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park" Anthony Bourdain

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-11204-Sandusky-County-Politics-and-History-Examiner

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2010, 09:59:37 PM »

Oh my good god you are a tard.

Riddler

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2010, 09:26:18 AM »

rest easy.....
you unemployed  ''i-t'' people can live like this dude:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/living-off-frequent-flier-miles-18589041
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Underemployed with MBA's

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 32 queries.