Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Underemployed with MBA's
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Underemployed with MBA's  (Read 18075 times)

Riddler

Re: Underemployed with MBA's
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »

am i a fucking mime?
you egghead motherfuckers need to acknowledge the boiled-down necessity of hands-on trades people....
many amongst your ranks arrogantly look down their noses at anyone not carrying a ''degree'' around their neck, even though most of these poseurs aren't fit to sell shoes....
i laugh when i hear your tales-of-woe....''i have a masters in (pick any do-nothing subject, like studying the mating habits of the northeastern mud wasp in zero gravity) douchebaggery.
everyone's a computer geek/genius or some sort of ''IT'' master....all wanting to drink from the money-well of cybertechnology, only that well has run dry....

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2010, 08:46:13 PM »

Once the government collapses the only people who'll be in demand will be carpenters, electricians, and gunsmiths.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Riddler

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2010, 08:53:59 PM »

Once the government collapses the only people who'll be in demand will be carpenters, electricians, and gunsmiths.

bitch...
don't you have a fucking flush-toilet in your crib?
do you take a hot shower?
how bout that heat?
how dare you overlook the professional plumber...
you get ONE pass.

The Green Bastard

• From Parts Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2010, 10:33:39 PM »

am i a fucking mime?
you egghead motherfuckers need to acknowledge the boiled-down necessity of hands-on trades people....
many amongst your ranks arrogantly look down their noses at anyone not carrying a ''degree'' around their neck, even though most of these poseurs aren't fit to sell shoes....
i laugh when i hear your tales-of-woe....''i have a masters in (pick any do-nothing subject, like studying the mating habits of the northeastern mud wasp in zero gravity) douchebaggery.
everyone's a computer geek/genius or some sort of ''IT'' master....all wanting to drink from the money-well of cybertechnology, only that well has run dry....

I am one of those IT eggheads by day but I spend my evenings and weekends restoring old cars (mechanical and bodywork) and have spent the last few months trying to become a jack of all trades in  carpentry, electrical work and plumbing while renovating a repossessed house.

I generally only look down on those who look down on other people.

Can I still be in the circle of trust :) :lol:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:37:17 PM by The Green Bastard »

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2010, 12:48:27 AM »

bitch...
don't you have a fucking flush-toilet in your crib?
do you take a hot shower?
how bout that heat?
how dare you overlook the professional plumber...
you get ONE pass.

My landlord does that kinda shit himself.

He's not that good at it.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

thersites

• Government Child Care
    • View Profile
    • Sandusky County Politics Examiner
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2010, 04:30:27 AM »

There is no such thing as "underemployed" if all you have is a piece of paper hanging on the wall.

How about a condensation-There is no such thing as "underemployment". It is a silly fascist myth. Or an insult.

I myself have an MBA, I actually found it invaluable in understanding economics(since I questioned what I was presented), and am even pursuing a MA in History. The MBA is little more than a badge though, if that, in the business world, whereas my History MA will be in essence a teaching degree(and I'm on a long term Doctoral track). Here though I know the system is utterly flooded with government booty, I have the sense I might do some good-after all, everyone must take a entry level history course. I'm a voluntaryist, so my History class might be a bit...unique. (actually, I'm hoping to get my thesis, The Propaganda of Knighthood as it Relates to the Growth of the State in the Hundred Years War, published academically with the help of my Prof.-quite a coup, and a virtual guarantee of teaching jobs...even before the doctorate).

I sell toilet paper wholesale, and enjoy my gig, and am not "underemployed". What an insulting term for anyone who works for a living...seriously, take that odorous, statist, terminology and go get fucked.  Now.
"your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park" Anthony Bourdain

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-11204-Sandusky-County-Politics-and-History-Examiner

Riddler

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »

am i a fucking mime?

I am one of those IT eggheads by day but I spend my evenings and weekends restoring old cars (mechanical and bodywork) and have spent the last few months trying to become a jack of all trades in  carpentry, electrical work and plumbing while renovating a repossessed house.

you may pass, grasshopper

Riddler

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2010, 10:09:20 AM »

How about a condensation-

what the fuck is that?
isn't that moisture that forms from two widely varying temperatures?

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »

How about a condensation-

what the fuck is that?
isn't that moisture that forms from two widely varying temperatures?

That would be it :P

Bill Brasky

« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2010, 03:04:31 PM »

There is no such thing as "underemployed" if all you have is a piece of paper hanging on the wall.

How about a condensation-There is no such thing as "underemployment". It is a silly fascist myth. Or an insult.

I myself have an MBA, I actually found it invaluable in understanding economics(since I questioned what I was presented), and am even pursuing a MA in History. The MBA is little more than a badge though, if that, in the business world, whereas my History MA will be in essence a teaching degree(and I'm on a long term Doctoral track). Here though I know the system is utterly flooded with government booty, I have the sense I might do some good-after all, everyone must take a entry level history course. I'm a voluntaryist, so my History class might be a bit...unique. (actually, I'm hoping to get my thesis, The Propaganda of Knighthood as it Relates to the Growth of the State in the Hundred Years War, published academically with the help of my Prof.-quite a coup, and a virtual guarantee of teaching jobs...even before the doctorate).

I sell toilet paper wholesale, and enjoy my gig, and am not "underemployed". What an insulting term for anyone who works for a living...seriously, take that odorous, statist, terminology and go get fucked.  Now.

How about there is such a thing as underemployment.  Unemployed is defined as people who cannot find jobs - they were laid off, are between jobs, or have an excuse (albeit it often is a shitty excuse).  Underemployment is people who were employed, became unemployed, then managed to find employment below the compensation standards of their previous employment or in hours, or they are employed in a capacity under that of their trade.  For example an experienced welder who cannot find a welding job, working as warehouse labor. 

Underemployment is usually a temporary phase in the job cycle of the individual, where the local economy is not in a boom phase and the job seeker has to "settle".  People with experience really don't like to do the settling, because they have to learn a new job and it drastically impedes the job hunt in their field - everyone knows its pretty hard to get to the interview when you have a job-related commitment. 

Similarly there is underemployment in the white collar world as well, there is competition in the job market between graduates and the experienced for a limited number of professional positions.  Their degree may have been ill-chosen, and there are no positions.  And just as likely, there are a limited number of positions in a saturated market, and the new graduate has to deal with the catch-22 situation of need experience to get the job. 

The experienced manager is all-too aware of these difficulties in the job market, and has reasons for not wanting to hire the inexperienced graduate.  Mostly because its more economical to hire an experienced person over an inexperienced one, because of the learning curve parallels.  A new employee with experience will still have a learning curve within the job, until they become proficient with the localized specifics.  But they know the inexperienced graduate may be using them to gain entry-level experience, and is prone to flight when a better employment source takes them on, which wastes the valuable job training and high turn-over is extremely expensive. 

Where the term of underemployment does not fit the definition is when the inexperienced graduate wrongly assigns it to himself.  They are not underemployed until they have a skillset which includes experience.  If they are employed in a job that does not correspond to their degree, they are simply employed and seeking a career in their field of study. 

Even more laughable is when the inexperienced assigns himself the presumptuous title of "overqualified", which should be reserved for the experienced professional who is getting squeezed out of entry-level positions by new grads for similar reasons, mainly the risk of short-term expectations based on an outstanding resume' which includes experience, and not a simple accumulation of certifications.  The overqualified will be a saturation effect as a boom cycle begins to contract, but since salary commensurates with experience it may be a more economically viable option to choose the less experienced candidate, put him in an entry-level position and raise the workforce from within.  The existence of overqualified applicants seeking underemployment will give a more positive light to the graduate, as it is a signal that upward flight is less likely due to the saturation from above which is necessitating the overqualified to seek underemployment. 

Personally, I don't care what the degree or field is, because the applicant isn't worth much without experience - which is doubly proven by a employers willingness to take them over the overqualified - that experience is a valid argument for a higher wage. 

If you have an MBA you should know that. 

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2010, 03:47:29 PM »

There is definitely such a thing as underemployment.  It's a very scary time for people currently in law school.  Traditionally, firms extend offers to second-year law students.  This means that they were hiring in 2008 like they'd been hiring in 2006 and 2007...for 2009.  I know that a number of top firms paid people they've already hired to not work and delay their start date by a year.  While it worked out pretty well for those folks, you can imagine what that's done to recruiting of people still in law school.  There are a lot of desperate folks out there who took on a bunch of debt and now don't see good employment prospects at the end of the tunnel.  This year's graduating class is particularly bad off.  I have a feeling you're going to see a lot of class of '10 JDs working alongside BA/BS graduates, etc.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »

There is definitely such a thing as underemployment.  It's a very scary time for people currently in law school.  Traditionally, firms extend offers to second-year law students.  This means that they were hiring in 2008 like they'd been hiring in 2006 and 2007...for 2009.  I know that a number of top firms paid people they've already hired to not work and delay their start date by a year.  While it worked out pretty well for those folks, you can imagine what that's done to recruiting of people still in law school.  There are a lot of desperate folks out there who took on a bunch of debt and now don't see good employment prospects at the end of the tunnel.  This year's graduating class is particularly bad off.  I have a feeling you're going to see a lot of class of '10 JDs working alongside BA/BS graduates, etc.

What you're describing is expectations unfulfilled, which is not underemployment.  Simply having the credentials does not designate your status as underemployed.  

To accurately appraise yourself as underemployed, you need to be able to show past performance, current performance, and have reasonable expectations for future performance.  This would chart as a "U" shaped dip in an otherwise ascending angle.  

But you can't appraise a whole group with no prior personal experience as an increasingly underemployed sector.  You can show examples of the individual who gets hired in his graduate field as (more than likely) achieving the relative average hiring wage.  You could show a decline in hiring overall.  That indicates saturation, and a flattening of exponential sector growth, which is completely different in definition and effect.  If anything, it shows poor planning by the individual to participate in an increasingly saturated market, it is a glut.  And I think we're all quite aware of what happens to a commonly held commodity in a glut - the market may continue to absorb the static consumption figure, but at a more desirable price.  This will eventually back-fill through the supply line until an equilibrium is reached.  

None of that strikes me as underemployment.  Only when the market is shrinking and displacing those with current placement, prior involvement and experience, making them take a step down out of necessity, can it be defined as underemployment -  because their actual level of employment has been determined, their employer has agreed to a wage and actually paid it for a considerable amount of time.  

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2010, 09:10:14 PM »

What you're describing is expectations unfulfilled, which is not underemployment.  Simply having the credentials does not designate your status as underemployed. 

To accurately appraise yourself as underemployed, you need to be able to show past performance, current performance, and have reasonable expectations for future performance.  This would chart as a "U" shaped dip in an otherwise ascending angle. 

But you can't appraise a whole group with no prior personal experience as an increasingly underemployed sector.  You can show examples of the individual who gets hired in his graduate field as (more than likely) achieving the relative average hiring wage.  You could show a decline in hiring overall.  That indicates saturation, and a flattening of exponential sector growth, which is completely different in definition and effect.  If anything, it shows poor planning by the individual to participate in an increasingly saturated market, it is a glut.  And I think we're all quite aware of what happens to a commonly held commodity in a glut - the market may continue to absorb the static consumption figure, but at a more desirable price.  This will eventually back-fill through the supply line until an equilibrium is reached. 

None of that strikes me as underemployment.  Only when the market is shrinking and displacing those with current placement, prior involvement and experience, making them take a step down out of necessity, can it be defined as underemployment -  because their actual level of employment has been determined, their employer has agreed to a wage and actually paid it for a considerable amount of time. 

I think you're full of shit.  The vast majority of people in law school (and business school) didn't go there straight out of undergrad, so as a group they almost always have professional work experience.  A lot of them made very good money before going back to school, too.  Just because someone plans their education decisions poorly doesn't mean they can't be underemployed.

New Richard

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2010, 01:06:31 AM »

am i a fucking mime?

you may pass, grasshopper

eh...Homozzi,

You are so fricken annoying, man. I hope you at least have an excuse....like maybe....you are always drunk off your ass, when you post on here....or maybe, you smoke crack.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2010, 03:23:01 AM »

What you're describing is expectations unfulfilled, which is not underemployment.  Simply having the credentials does not designate your status as underemployed. 

To accurately appraise yourself as underemployed, you need to be able to show past performance, current performance, and have reasonable expectations for future performance.  This would chart as a "U" shaped dip in an otherwise ascending angle. 

But you can't appraise a whole group with no prior personal experience as an increasingly underemployed sector.  You can show examples of the individual who gets hired in his graduate field as (more than likely) achieving the relative average hiring wage.  You could show a decline in hiring overall.  That indicates saturation, and a flattening of exponential sector growth, which is completely different in definition and effect.  If anything, it shows poor planning by the individual to participate in an increasingly saturated market, it is a glut.  And I think we're all quite aware of what happens to a commonly held commodity in a glut - the market may continue to absorb the static consumption figure, but at a more desirable price.  This will eventually back-fill through the supply line until an equilibrium is reached. 

None of that strikes me as underemployment.  Only when the market is shrinking and displacing those with current placement, prior involvement and experience, making them take a step down out of necessity, can it be defined as underemployment -  because their actual level of employment has been determined, their employer has agreed to a wage and actually paid it for a considerable amount of time. 

I think you're full of shit.  The vast majority of people in law school (and business school) didn't go there straight out of undergrad, so as a group they almost always have professional work experience.  A lot of them made very good money before going back to school, too.  Just because someone plans their education decisions poorly doesn't mean they can't be underemployed.

Your opinions of entitlement are amusing.  Career advancement is not automatic, and labeling a person who was not awarded that advancement as underemployed is laughable.  It takes time for positions to be created and/or vacated, and the hiatus between graduation and entry is probably more expected than immediate placement.  Being ignorant of that fact is downright stupid, and calling the period underemployed is fucking moronic - especially when underemployed is arguably defined as previously stated.  

The word "underemployed" used incorrectly by those who have no actual experience in the positions they've acquired degrees to assume is translated as "no connections whining pussy" by those of us who are familiar with the real world, Junior.  We know what underemployment really is, and what it isn't.  In general discussion, its a considerable setback because most people (who aren't inexperienced pussies) know that underemployment requires a situational change from a higher position.  The word has gravity.  Its like exaggerating serious illness when used improperly.  You don't get to use panic words in expected situations, so you might want to stop using it frivolously - because the temporary period between college and advanced employment is neither unexpected nor cause for panic - especially when there is little doubt that everything is actually pretty fucking rosy, and the foreseeable future contains (in all likelihood) positive advancements in rapid succession.  That is the context it will heard by people who are a little more entrenched in the professional world, and it carries a tone I would not wish to convey.  But then, I am not prone to histrionics and value my masculinity.  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Underemployed with MBA's

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.