Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Uncommissionable Intellectual Property
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uncommissionable Intellectual Property  (Read 1658 times)

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
Uncommissionable Intellectual Property
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:30:38 AM »

I've been working on explicitly developing my property theories and am currently looking at intellectual property.

The short version is "It's not a good, it's a service." This idea seems to combine all the best parts of anti-IP and pro-IP positions.

Satisfies pro-IP arguments:
-The creator gets paid for their work
-The commissioner can decide to keep whatever is developed a secret for their own use if they prefer.
-The commissioner can attempt to charge others for it, though I don't think that would work very well long term, it may be possible in order to attempt to recover some of the costs of commissioning by passing those down to others.
-It would still be fraud to claim that you created something that you did not. If asked, credit would probably still be given to the actual creator in almost all cases.

Satisfies anti-IP arguments:
-Free for anyone that can get their hands on the IP
-No patents
-No copyrights
-No prohibitions of derivative works
-Your mind, you do whatever the hell you want with it.

This would mean radical changes to the way intellectual property is developed, which I'd say are due anyways because of how shitty the intellectual property landscape is at the moment.

I'm looking for any kind of intellectual property that would not be commissionable. So far the nearest I can come up with is invention, but even that is mostly commissionable.

The forms of IP generally seem to be useful tools (software, inventions), self-expression (music, visual and performing art, books), and mass entertainment (movies, videogames, some music). Self-expression will continue with or without pay, but is ironically the most commissionable among these. Mass entertainment I generally consider to be no-big-loss, it may turn out to be an artificial market created by intellectual property law itself, readily consumed, but not particularly economically useful and never used as a factor of production to make something else. We probably wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there anymore, except for couch potatoes, which even couch potatoes don't think is actually healthy for them or in their best long-term interest.

-Music is commissionable. I suspect we would have fewer big names and more variety in style as the commission model will favor smaller composers and performers with smaller markets more tailored to their target audiences, and lower the barrier to entry of making any money as a musical artist, if at the expense of the biggest musical artists.
-Movies probably aren't. I do not consider this a big loss.
-Videogames probably aren't. It would be interesting to see what a collaborative development along open-sourcish lines could create if all attention to videogames was not diverted to major commercial games. Maybe they'd commission some usability experts and make stuff that doesn't suck!
-Software development is commissionable. There is also "Software-as-a-Service" (SaaS) as a strategy for earning income off software development. There are also major movements to keep software free and open by people who believe (and with reason) in open development processes
-Inventions may be commissionable. As an analogy to SaaS above, opening an R&D lab for commissions may be feasible in many situations. I have heard arguments that without intellectual property inventions would take a more open development process where anybody with expertise could collaborate to create something newer and better in many fields, and that designs themselves would become more modular and lower the barrier to entry for designing modular components.
-Nonfiction books can certainly be commissioned.
-Fiction books are generally a form of self-expression. However, they can be commissioned. Even if the commissioned books never got paid for, and the professional authors gulched, there is plenty of good fiction from small authors just looking to express themselves that never gets discovered because big authors take all the attention.

Additionally if anyone has ideas for forms of IP that may be new or unique, I'm certainly open to the idea that my theory is not universally applicable, and to any other suggestions. I mean, somebody else has to have thought of this before and found some reason why it wouldn't work.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
Re: Uncommissionable Intellectual Property
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:28:20 AM »

Why does the commissioner get special privileges? He already gets to hang out with the goddamned Batman!
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
Re: Uncommissionable Intellectual Property
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:33:36 AM »

Heheh. No special privilege, just they get the information that the creator made and it's possible to contract in a way to stop the creator from divulging it, so the commissioner in effect gets to keep it a secret if they want.

The privilege of hanging out with the goddamned batman is sold separately batteries not included :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Uncommissionable Intellectual Property

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.