Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Trust In Government
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trust In Government  (Read 2287 times)

Ecolitan

• View Profile
Trust In Government
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:56:34 PM »

This week, NPR begins a series of reports about the country's changing attitude toward the government and elected officials. Called "Trust In Government," it's being done in cooperation with the Pew Research Center. Host Liane Hansen talks with Philip Zelikow, White Burkett Miller Professor of History at the University of Virginia, about declining public trust in government.

Spam

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: Trust In Government
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:22:39 AM »

I find it exceptionally difficult to stand NPR for more than a few minutes, and those minutes are Car Talk and Prairie Home Companion.

And if I'm lucky, Thistle and Shamrock.

But every time the "news" comes on, the position of the pundents is always "are republicans going to prevent the government from solving this problem, again?"

National Progressive Radio.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:19:38 AM »

I listen to both All Stuff Considered and Morning Edition. Yeah, there's a liberal bias, but not ALL the news deals with politics. Besides, most news sources are liberal. In any case, I don't disagree with liberals on all issues, any more than I agree or disagree with conservatives on everything.

I also like Science Friday and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:17:20 AM »

Science Friday is pretty interesting, even if some of the people who call in to talk to guests are utter idiots.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »

Considering NPR is mostly privately funded (both grants and donations), I don't see why they don't go commercial and break off from the federal teat. A tiny 10% funding comes from the federals anyways. They do have some good content and know how to work it. They just need some fucking motivation. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »

Poll: 4 out of 5 Americans don't trust Washington
By LIZ SIDOTI, AP National Political Writer Liz Sidoti, Ap National Political Writer   – Mon Apr 19, 10:23 am ET
WASHINGTON – America's "Great Compromiser" Henry Clay called government "the great trust," but most Americans today have little faith in Washington's ability to deal with the nation's problems.

Public confidence in government is at one of the lowest points in a half century, according to a survey from the Pew Research Center. Nearly 8 in 10 Americans say they don't trust the federal government and have little faith it can solve America's ills, the survey found.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100419/ap_on_re_us/us_government_distrust
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:11:35 AM »

Considering NPR is mostly privately funded (both grants and donations), I don't see why they don't go commercial and break off from the federal teat. A tiny 10% funding comes from the federals anyways. They do have some good content and know how to work it.

The respons I always to this argument is, "Why are you complaining? The amount of money they get is so small, aren't there more important and expensive things to complain about?"

It's a drug habit. It's money they don't have to work for, and special treatment by the FCC and other regulatory bureaus.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Trust In Government

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 46 queries.