Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Too many laws...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Too many laws...  (Read 5149 times)

gavino

• View Profile
Too many laws...
« on: March 02, 2006, 07:16:09 AM »

On my next day off I think I might walk into my local police station and tell them that I'm concerned that I might inadvertently break a law that I don't know about.

And ask them if they could please give me a written list of all the laws that I must obey-- at least all the local laws, and ask them who I need to ask to get a list of all the state and federal laws that I must obey.

Then I'll ask them (very politely) if I can get them in Braille so my blind friend can read them....

Neal Jayu

• wears asian speedos
    • View Profile
Re: Too many laws...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 11:07:45 AM »

They have to be required to provide you with something, right? Let us know how it goes.

Then I'll ask them (very politely) if I can get them in Braille so my blind friend can read them....

Bwahahaha!

bushwacker

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 11:25:48 PM »

Good luck with that. They will probably arrest you for 'definace' or some BS like that :D. Do it anyway though- I'll give you a Liberty Dollar! :D

Frog

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 05:12:52 AM »

Play the "can I do this ?" game.  Stand on one foot, walk backwards, chew food with your mouth open, bark like a dog.

gavino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 04:05:16 PM »

Nice suggestion, Frog.

Maybe I'll start taking my clothes off and ask them to tell me just before I run afoul of the "incecent exposure" statute... ("What if I pull them a little higher into my butt-cheeks, am I indecent now?").  Haven't had a chance to do ANY of this yet...

bushwacker

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 08:15:24 PM »

Dude what's yoru obsession w/ the measuring chicken thing? Seriously.... ;)

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 11:59:54 PM »

Man you should really do this and record it. 

As far as indecency goes the law around here is that only a person of the opposite sex can file a charge against a naked person.  Naked guys are more likely to offend women than naked women are to offend men so you see who is more likely to get charged. 

(For the nitpickers a police officer friend of mine at a party told me about this quirk in our laws.)  She told me this as it related to a story about this guy who would go to department stores that had female clerks.  He would ask about alterations and if the clerk would measure his inseam.  He would go into the dressing room get completely naked and tell the clerk he had on the trousers to be measured.  She would go into the dressing room and get the full threeway mirror exposure.  What was really funny about the story was the guy was a well respected professional.

Frog

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 06:38:40 AM »

Here's my recommendation:

- in permanent marker, write "Free Talk Live" on your ass cheeks

- walk into the thug station

- whip down your pants

- expel a large rubber chicken from your anal cavity.

- when the fuzz inquires about your actions, tell them "I'm using the chicken to measure it"

If I worked my way up to this level of protest, would small baby chickens be the next step, or the previous step ?  I can invision both, but I'm really having trouble quantifying the individual actions in a heirarchitypical manner.  I might even be making up words to illustrate my confusion.  If youve ever seen 2001: space odessy, the oblisk scene, you could see how a lack of articulation and a surplus of confusion might be detrimental to the larger issue. 

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 03:27:13 PM »

On my next day off I think I might walk into my local police station and tell them that I'm concerned that I might inadvertently break a law that I don't know about.

And ask them if they could please give me a written list of all the laws that I must obey-- at least all the local laws, and ask them who I need to ask to get a list of all the state and federal laws that I must obey.

Wow.. brilliant idea.  I like the idea of having someone come with you and record it.

If they really are there to "serve and protect", surely they'd provide you with the laws, since you're just trying to be informed as "ignorance is no excuse".
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

JetlagQ

• Take it up with my DRO...
  • FTL Creative Team
  • ...I love Mises to pieces
    • View Profile
    • Black and Gold
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 11:47:14 PM »

If they really are there to "serve and protect", surely they'd provide you with the laws, since you're just trying to be informed as "ignorance is no excuse".

Here is a question. Given the volume of laws at the local, state and federal level, how long would it take a person to read - not familiarize but just read - all the laws from the time they reach the age of majority - lets say 18. Now take the average adult reading speed of about 250 words per minute. Figure an eight hour day - say that instead of being involved in productive labour you just read all the laws. That's 120,000 words per day. Figure about 250 work days per year - five days a week, fifty weeks a year (two weeks off for vacation and potential law-breaking). That leaves 30,000,000 words per year.

The average life expectency is about 77, leaving 59 years to do this in. The average federal registry each year is about 65,000 pages(it varies but that's ballpark.) I dont know the wordcount but figuring it at 250 words per page, that is over 16 million words. Now you might think at this point that it almost seems physically possible. But remember that's only the federal government. Also it's not only the current year's laws but all laws from previous years that you have to adhere to. So each year you spend half your time on the current year and half on a previous. After 59 years, this catches you up to not quite 30 years before your birth. All else is physically out of your reach as you are dead.

Conclusion: It is not physically possible to familiarize oneself with all laws and regulations, which means that ignorance, while not an excuse, is certainly a fact. A general principle that goes against physical facts can not be adhered to by any sane individual. Ignorance being no excuse is flatly ridiculous on these grounds.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 12:10:58 AM by JetlagQ »
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 02:21:20 AM »

Wow.. great post JetlagQ.  That's show prep!   8)
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

bonerjoe

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 09:26:16 AM »

I wonder if you could argue that in court. Of course, obtain copies of all the federal and state laws and reel them in on carts for good effect.

Anyways, you're probably going to get arresed for "harassing" the police at the station. Be prepared for that.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 09:37:19 AM »

You could even take that one step further.  If, in fact, Ignorance Is No Excuse, the police with arrest powers have determined you are breaking a law, why bother with a trial ?  The cops have determined your guilt by arresting you, because they know the law and are the administrators of it.  Logically, all arrests are valid by default due to the fact that cops cannot be ignorant of the laws they are sworn to uphold.  This makes the entire judicial system useless, with the exception of determining penalty. 

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 11:11:02 AM »

I wonder if you could argue that in court. Of course, obtain copies of all the federal and state laws and reel them in on carts for good effect.

Haul them in on carts? No, more like haul them in on an 18-wheeler.

bonerjoe

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »

You can't bring an 18-wheeler into a courtroom.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Too many laws...

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.