Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Tonight's dinner selection:
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63   Go Down

Author Topic: Tonight's dinner selection:  (Read 173610 times)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's dinner selection:
« Reply #900 on: July 29, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »

I think its hardcore that you have lobster on hand to cook. It makes me think if he would have asked for something like zebra steaks, an hour later you'd be serving some for diner

I took a 5 minute trip to the store to pick up lobster. All the heavy duty dairy product was on hand, though.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 29, 2010, 09:25:03 PM »

I think its hardcore that you have lobster on hand to cook. It makes me think if he would have asked for something like zebra steaks, an hour later you'd be serving some for diner

I took a 5 minute trip to the store to pick up lobster. All the heavy duty dairy product was on hand, though.

What store did you go to?  Just curious. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

mrapplecastle

• autonomist
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 29, 2010, 10:50:04 PM »

you ruined my fantasy

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 29, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »

What store did you go to?  Just curious. 

Publix. Normally, I like to get seafood at the big Int'l Farmers Mkt, but 4pm is not the time to make a drive across Atlanta.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 29, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »

you ruined my fantasy

Sorry, but keeping them stocked would mean frozen Lobster tails.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 29, 2010, 11:28:26 PM »

you ruined my fantasy

Sorry, but keeping them stocked would mean frozen Lobster tails.
I was thinking more like you have an aquarium full of fresh lobsters  :o 8)  That's my dream.  But until then I'll just go to Rosarito for some fresh surf  & turf.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

ForumTroll

« Reply #906 on: July 30, 2010, 01:41:14 AM »

So, how the fuck did it go?

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 30, 2010, 09:13:58 AM »

So, how the fuck did it go?

He was appropriately sheepish when I put the plate in front of him.
And appreciative enough of both the food and the effort, so no need to torture him... unless he asks me to.

It was very good. I think I'll make mac & cheese with the same combo of cheeses - gruyere, cheddar, fontina, parmesan - from now on, even when I'm not adding lobster. The fontina was the new one. I usually use cheddar & parmesan, and the gruyere, if I'm planning far enough ahead to pick it up.

----

Tonight, we have a get together with others from the n'hood pool. A no kids event, so there will be drinking. I'm fixing a big batch of wings. Mango-tamarind if I can find more tamarind paste - I'm almost out; Spicy ginger-mango if I can't.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 30, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »

Tom Yum Goong - Thai lemon grass soup; with home grown tomatoes.

ForumTroll

« Reply #909 on: July 30, 2010, 01:33:59 PM »

He was appropriately sheepish when I put the plate in front of him.

LOL

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 30, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »

(Minus the mushrooms...) I'd hit it.  I love thai food.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 30, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »

(Minus the mushrooms...) I'd hit it.  I love thai food.

Oh, the shrooms are probably my favorite part.  I see this photo has rather plain mushrooms, whereas traditional usually has straw mushrooms (a pain in the ass to clean the sand out of.)  I prefer to use shiitake mushrooms in mine.  

I use Lee brand Tom Yum Paste as a starter, which I'm sure you can find in most major cities (at asian markets, of course), at about $3 for a 16oz jar, from which I use three heaping teaspoons added to three cups water.  I add immitation crab meat, tomatoes cut into eights (cherry tomatoes tonight, which is what I have), red peppers, fish sauce and a little sugar.  When that's at a rolling boil for a minute or two, I add sliced squid balls (hard to explain--you don't have to use them, anyway), shrimp and mushrooms (the shiitake mushrooms, I pre-soften in boiling water, then slice), then bring to a boil again.  Finally, I add lime and cilentro, and my wife likes sliced yellow onion (you may not want to add any sugar if you do this--I prefer green onions for myself.)  I add salt or sugar, if necessary, to balance the flavor, and serve with steamed thai rice, which can be added as desired.

By using the paste, I avoid having to keep the more exotic ingredients on hand (e.g. lemon grass, galanga root, kafir lime leaf), and I add the fresh stuff.  I've tried other brands, but Lee works best for me.  Exactly the same stuff (probably from the same plant) seems to be sold under the Por Kwan brand.  My wife, from Taipei, prefers it to the stuff at the local Thai restaurant, at which we otherwise both enjoy many great dishes.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:30:17 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

The Green Bastard

• From Parts Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 30, 2010, 11:13:43 PM »

Thumbs up! Great job with the photography too!

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: July 31, 2010, 09:01:17 AM »

Quote from: The Green Bastard link=topic=22991.msg607645#msg607645
Thumbs up! Great job with the photography too!

Thanks!, but not my photo.

It was gooood!

The Green Bastard

• From Parts Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 03, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »

One more sushi picture to show my progress.

I was working on filleting the tuna properly for the nigiri this time. I also made a spicy tuna mix with chirashi sauce in the food processor. That is a nice way to use the uglier parts of the fillet.

I think I have the technique down, I just need to work on a couple recipies and cut back on the red caviar; too salty.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:24:23 PM by Big McLargeHuge »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Tonight's dinner selection:

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.