Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Tonight's dinner selection:
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 63   Go Down

Author Topic: Tonight's dinner selection:  (Read 173656 times)

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's dinner selection:
« Reply #735 on: December 17, 2009, 10:29:25 PM »

Thanks, Joy. I knew I could count on you to at least put me in the right direction.

I went to the Splendid Table website you suggested and searched "Duck" and the first one that popped up seems to be exactly what I was looking for:

Ginger Duck
Adapted from Cooking for Mr. Latte: A Food Lover's Courtship, with Recipes. Copyright 2003 by Amanda Hesser, (W. W. Norton & Company, 2003).

Serves 4 with no leftovers; recipe can be doubled

1 duck (thawed overnight in the refrigerator), giblets removed

1 onion, peeled and cut in half, or 3 shallots, peeled

2 stalks celery, cut into 3-inch long pieces

2 teaspoons ground ginger

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup soy sauce

1 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 cup sherry

1 small bunch watercress, trimmed and washed
1. The day before, stuff the duck with the onion and celery. Place the duck, breast side up, in a large soup pot with enough water to half cover it. Add the ginger and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat so that it simmers very gently (the bubbles should be lazy not fizzy) for 1 hour.

2. After 1 hour, turn the duck over. Add the sugar, soy sauce and salt. Continue simmering for another hour. Turn duck once again and simmer until tender and almost falling apart, about another hour. Turn off the heat and when cool enough to handle, remove the duck carefully from the pot (it tends to fall apart after so much cooking) and place in a roasting pan. Cover and refrigerate until the next day.

3. Pour the broth from the soup pot into a container and chill overnight. A layer of fat will form on top. Scrape it off and discard it. What remains is delicious in rice and soups and can be frozen for months.

4. Before serving, bring the duck to room temperature. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Add the sherry and 1 cup of the defatted duck broth to the roasting pan and place in the oven. Roast uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes, basting occasionally with the juices in the bottom of the pan. The duck is done when it is heated through and the skin is crisp and a dark chestnut brown.
5. Transfer the duck to a serving platter and garnish with lots of watercress (disguising where legs and wings have fallen off, if they have).
Pocho

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 17, 2009, 11:08:52 PM »

Nothing!  I'm starving!
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 27, 2009, 09:38:20 PM »

I made the ginger duck Christmas day. I used the broth for a great tasting gravy and made a side of fried rice and chow main.  It was a nice addition to the traditional tamales we usually have. All around win.
Pocho

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 09, 2010, 05:09:08 PM »

I made the ginger duck Christmas day. I used the broth for a great tasting gravy and made a side of fried rice and chow main.  It was a nice addition to the traditional tamales we usually have. All around win.

I was thinking about making this tomorrow, so I'm glad to hear it worked out well.

Tonight we'll be having spinach pie... and baklava.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Riddler

« Reply #739 on: January 09, 2010, 06:02:39 PM »

hey now... today's a BIG fuckin day
the queen has been making HOMEMADE PASTA....real shit from scratch....w/ the atlas pasta crank machine....
angel hair & butternut squash/ricotta/parm raviolis....
bolognese sauce for the string skets
olive oil/butter/garlic/parsley for the ravs....

booooo-yahhhh

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 19, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »

Pollo Alla Vesuvio (Chicken with potatoes & peas). Picked up the recipe at The Fresh Market.

The itty bitty (now 8-1/2 years old) is doing 85% of the cooking tonight. She's been asking, and I ran out of excuses the other night when my favorite thing to cook was when I was eight.

So instead of just peeling potatoes, she sliced onions, flipped chicken breasts in butter & olive oil, babysat the timer while it finished baking, and is now simmering down the extra liquid with peas in it.

I did handle the cutting and prep of the raw chicken, but have hovered at "just in case" distance for the rest. Smells great, should be ready in about five minutes, and she has only one burned thumb. Tiny spot, from getting too close to side of pan when cloud of steam issued forth from just-lifted lid.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 19, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »

Tonight's dinner?  Beef.

I made tri tip quesadillas last night, and I'll likely make tri tip quesadillas tonight.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #742 on: January 19, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »

My wife made chicken tamales, along with beans and rice.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 19, 2010, 10:56:10 PM »

Change of plans, the girlfriend wants to cook me a feast so I'll see what she decides to cook up tonight.

Lucky me! :D

I'll likely be cooking the meat, and I know she has three types of meat in her freezer: pork ribs, chicken breast, rib eye.  I'm game for any of them.  We marinaded the pork ribs in smoked honey bbq sauce, the chicken breast in a homemade paprika, salt, brown sugar, black pepper rub, and the rib eye in a hardcore yet light super secret rub that I cannot disclose on these internets. 

I can tell you dinner tonight will be Da Bomb regardless of her meat choice.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 19, 2010, 11:08:44 PM »

My wife made chicken tamales, along with beans and rice.

That sounds delicious.  Are you able to divulge the recipe for us? 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 25, 2010, 07:51:41 AM »

And there's no such thing as too much onion (the last thing you add, along with the remaining spices).  Yes, I listen to FTL while I cook, and yes, chopping so many onions makes me cry like a schoolgirl.  No pain, no gain!

I like to stage the onions. One onion goes into olive oil at the beginning, with the garlic, another is added with spices, for the last hour of cooking, and a little bit of fresh minced onion to sprinkle over top of the soup at the end. Layers up the sweetness of a slow cooked onion with the sharper tastes when it hasn't been cooked as long... or at all.

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 25, 2010, 10:23:12 AM »

tonight i am making a meatloaf and have yet to decide on side dishes...... maybe green beans or something
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 25, 2010, 10:25:53 AM »

Chicken enchilada soup.  I froze half the last batch, and it's about all I have lurking around and I've been working a lot so I'm lazy. 
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 25, 2010, 06:36:24 PM »

Creamy potato soup - without a drop of dairy. Red & White potatoes, red onion, garlic, celery, carrots, fresh thyme & black pepper with olive oil & vegetable stock.

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 25, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »

"Monte Crisco" sandwich.  Basically a ham and cheese sandwich made with french toast bread that you dip in syrup. MMMMMM
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 63   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Tonight's dinner selection:

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.