Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Tonight's dinner selection:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 63   Go Down

Author Topic: Tonight's dinner selection:  (Read 173613 times)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's dinner selection:
« Reply #510 on: February 16, 2009, 11:11:48 PM »

I'm having popcorn for dinner again.  I shouldn't even be eating this late, but I was hungry, and I worked a double today so I'm pretty wiped. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 17, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »

Warm Tuna Salad with Tomato & Mint... de-lish!
(Lime, white wine, fresh grated ginger & garlic, fish sauce, served over grated cabbage)

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 17, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »

Warm Tuna Salad with Tomato & Mint... de-lish!
(Lime, white wine, fresh grated ginger & garlic, fish sauce, served over grated cabbage)

Was there an alternate for the kids? 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 17, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »

The kids ate tuna like we did, but I subbed out the salad portion for veggies and pasta with a white sauce.
The try something new isn't quite that stringent.

-----
And, there was a scoop of Triple Brownie ice cream after dinner. That was a "try something new," too.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:39:50 PM by Laetitia »
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 18, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »

The kids ate tuna like we did, but I subbed out the salad portion for veggies and pasta with a white sauce.
The try something new isn't quite that stringent.

-----
And, there was a scoop of Triple Brownie ice cream after dinner. That was a "try something new," too.

I think I'm going to play the try something new game too.  All those recipes I found on the Whole Foods website looked really tasty, and if I can get myself motivated I'll go out and get some groceries later, since I'm short on stuff like milk anyway. 
         -George W. Bush

Bill Brasky

« Reply #515 on: February 22, 2009, 07:59:51 PM »

Tonight was beef veggie soup, crusty bread.  Kids are kinda snoffelley, so it was a good head-fixer. 

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 22, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »

Tonight was beef veggie soup, crusty bread.  Kids are kinda snoffelley, so it was a good head-fixer. 

Seems like everyone is kind of snoffelley.   :(
         -George W. Bush

Bill Brasky

« Reply #517 on: February 22, 2009, 08:20:35 PM »

Yeah.  I think we're in the part of the year where the common cold is rampant, and it keeps recycling. 

I'd like them to stay home from school for a few days, but my older one gets these perfect attendance awards and the younger one is a social butterfly, hates to miss her pals.  I told them they didn't have to go, and they turned it down.  I'm always perplexed at that. 

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 22, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »

Yeah.  I think we're in the part of the year where the common cold is rampant, and it keeps recycling. 

I'd like them to stay home from school for a few days, but my older one gets these perfect attendance awards and the younger one is a social butterfly, hates to miss her pals.  I told them they didn't have to go, and they turned it down.  I'm always perplexed at that. 

I bet they'll grow out of that as they get older.  I did.  But you might get lucky and they might stay perfect little angels forever.   :lol:

Almost everyone I know has some sort of funk right now.  I'm lucky I haven't gotten it (yet).  My grandmother apparently has bronchitis, so that's fun too.  I've noticed myself sneezing and coughing a bit...but I've also been on a rampant cleaning spree so I'm hoping it's dust.

Also, tonight's dinner selection was chicken quesadillas and Spanish rice.  Dessert will be strawberry shortcake. 
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 22, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »

Dessert will be strawberry shortcake. 

Not surprising, since we saw the package of shortcakes next to the b&w cookies.
I envy you the super fresh strawberries in winter. They're still good when they get here, but nowhere near as good if they'd not spent a week in transit & storage.

Chicken Paella for dinner here. (b&w cookies for dessert)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 22, 2009, 09:11:44 PM »

Dessert will be strawberry shortcake. 

Not surprising, since we saw the package of shortcakes next to the b&w cookies.
I envy you the super fresh strawberries in winter. They're still good when they get here, but nowhere near as good if they'd not spent a week in transit & storage.

Chicken Paella for dinner here. (b&w cookies for dessert)

Haha, yeah.  I was too lazy to even begin making my own shortcakes.  I totally forgot the package was in the picture.   :lol:

Chicken Paella sounds interesting.  Recipe plz?   :D
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 23, 2009, 11:45:46 AM »

Chicken Paella sounds interesting.  Recipe plz?   :D

I usually make it with shellfish, but was trying for kid friendly version. Pulled stuff from three different recipes, but can type up what I ended up including. (I happen to know, since I added it all to my handy dandy "Lose It!" iPhone app. Is great for providing nutritional info on custom recipes.)

------
2 Chorizo or Italian Sausages
Remove from casing. Sweet or spicy - your choice.

1 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
1 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thigh
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Paprika
Sea Salt
Cut into bite size chunks. Sprinkle with paprika to coat, and salt. Stir in olive oil, and set aside while prepping other ingredients.

1 Medium Onion
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 Green Bell Pepper
4-6 Garlic Cloves
1 Medium Tomato, or handful of Cherry Tomatoes, halved.
Rough chop veggies. Mince Garlic.

2 Cups Basmati Rice (or other white rice)
4 Cups Chicken Stock (or 3-1/2 cups stock, 1/2 cup white wine)
Generous Pinch of Saffron Threads

Brown sausage in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Remove from pan, and brown chicken pieces. When chicken is half cooked, spoon into dish with sausage. Add onions to pan, cook until they start to turn translucent. Add garlic, cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add red & green peppers and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.

Stir rice into pan, letting it cook for 3-5 minutes. Add chicken, sausage and tomatoes to pan. Break saffron threads into broth, then pour over rice, stirring. Bring to a simmer, then turn to low and cover for 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Add salt & cracked pepper to taste. If you're not using a paella pan or cast iron casserole, scoop onto a large platter or flat bowl, top with fresh parsley, and serve.

Not that you want to know, but...
If you figure this dish at 6 servings, you'll have somewhere around 450 calories per serving.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:56:05 PM by Laetitia »

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 23, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »

Tonight is a chorizo/plantain frittata and yucca buns.

I am kind of expecting a few fits and/or complaints of attempted murder.
Not about the yucca buns - they're full of cheese, so nothing to balk at there.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 03, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »

Broccoli-stuffed chicken and potato pancakes. 
         -George W. Bush

Zat

• View Profile
    • Just a photo gallery
« Reply #524 on: March 03, 2009, 07:33:03 PM »

Jambalaya leftover from Sunday.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 63   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Tonight's dinner selection:

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 33 queries.