Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Tonight's dinner selection:
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 63   Go Down

Author Topic: Tonight's dinner selection:  (Read 173581 times)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's dinner selection:
« Reply #750 on: January 25, 2010, 07:53:28 PM »

And there's no such thing as too much onion (the last thing you add, along with the remaining spices).  Yes, I listen to FTL while I cook, and yes, chopping so many onions makes me cry like a schoolgirl.  No pain, no gain!

I like to stage the onions. One onion goes into olive oil at the beginning, with the garlic, another is added with spices, for the last hour of cooking, and a little bit of fresh minced onion to sprinkle over top of the soup at the end. Layers up the sweetness of a slow cooked onion with the sharper tastes when it hasn't been cooked as long... or at all.

That's how I like to use onions when I'm cooking.  It's nice to have one vegetable (or whatever onions are considered :P) that goes well in pretty much any dish with varying levels of cooking.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 26, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »

PW's lemon pasta recipe.  With chicken, because we need protein in our lives.  Here is the recipe if you're interested.  And trust me, you should be. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 27, 2010, 12:22:48 AM »

Sandwich.  :|
Pocho

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 27, 2010, 02:40:09 AM »

hopefully tonight will be beef rouladens with red cabbage on the side... this all depends on if i can get to the store on this sheet of ice without tire chains.
 :D
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #754 on: January 27, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »

I was a weight-lifting protein buff in high school (though I was never good-looking), but the protein benefit of meat is lies.  Sure a 100g serving of chicken contains about 27 grams of protein (108 protein calories), but it also contains as much as 11 grams of fat (100 fat calories, more if it's fried), a third of your daily maximum of cholesterol (and you should get much less if you want to live longer), tons of toxins, and very little nutrition otherwise.  It needs to be combined with good high-fiber side-dishes to aid digestion and provide additional nutrition, and if those side dishes contain any amount of protein that means some of that chicken protein was a waste because your body can only metabolize so much protein every few hours.  Eat more than one serving of chicken, as I was often tempted to do, and the nutrition value of your meal decreases further, because the fat, cholesterol, and acid / toxin damage doubles, while the extra protein simply goes to waste.  A good vegan meal contains all the protein your body can digest at a time, but without all the bad stuff, and far, far more vitamins, minerals, fiber, lasting fullness and energy, etc.  Oh, and eating chicken also makes you a tax-munching commie.  Seriously.

Of course, you have to balance all of that out with the fact that chicken tastes damn good.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 27, 2010, 08:00:47 PM »

The taste plain and boring.  Quit making yourself think otherwise.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 27, 2010, 11:39:35 PM »

[...]  chicken, because we need protein in our lives  [...]

I was a weight-lifting protein buff in high school (though I was never good-looking), but the protein benefit of meat is lies.  Sure a 100g serving of chicken contains about 27 grams of protein (108 protein calories), but it also contains as much as 11 grams of fat (100 fat calories, more if it's fried), a third of your daily maximum of cholesterol (and you should get much less if you want to live longer), tons of toxins, and very little nutrition otherwise.  It needs to be combined with good high-fiber side-dishes to aid digestion and provide additional nutrition, and if those side dishes contain any amount of protein that means some of that chicken protein was a waste because your body can only metabolize so much protein every few hours.  Eat more than one serving of chicken, as I was often tempted to do, and the nutrition value of your meal decreases further, because the fat, cholesterol, and acid / toxin damage doubles, while the extra protein simply goes to waste.  A good vegan meal contains all the protein your body can digest at a time, but without all the bad stuff, and far, far more vitamins, minerals, fiber, lasting fullness and energy, etc.  Oh, and eating chicken also makes you a tax-munching commie.  Seriously.

Thank Cthulhu I read this long after I enjoyed mah dinner. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 03, 2010, 06:46:19 PM »

We are eating late, due to tennis matches this afternoon, but...

Stir Fry Butternut Squash
http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Stir_fried_Pumpkin.htm

It's the first time we're trying this, so I figure the boys won't eat much. Am fixing fried rice with veggies and a couple scrambled eggs, so they have something filling after trying just one tiny bite of squash
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 08, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »

Trying out Barberry Rice & Saffron Chicken tonight.
If it's good, I'll post the links over in the recipe thread, along with notes about what I changed & combined between the two recipes.
(Such as chicken breast in place of whole chicken or chicken thighs.)
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 15, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »

Wow you had just bell peppers for dinner?  I went to Outback with the girlfriend and had a 20 oz ribeye with steamed vegetables, salad, and a bloomin' onion.  That's dinner. 
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #760 on: February 15, 2010, 04:29:22 PM »

I could eat like 100oz of ribeye steak right now and still want more.

...but then the government wins!  :x

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 22, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »

I normally ignore National _______ Days, but Feb. 22nd sounded too much like a dinner challenge:

Today is National Sweet Potato Day. And Cherry Pie. And Margarita Day.

Making Sweet Potato, Apple & Walnut Ravioli for dinner.
Baking Cherry Pie for dessert.
Drinking Margaritas while baking.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 22, 2010, 05:03:42 PM »

Two down, one to go. Off to peel sweet potatoes...

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 22, 2010, 05:07:40 PM »

Yummy.  I like the attention to details-like the sugar/salted glass.
As a matter of fact, that glass looks magical.  Like it is balancing itself on a petrified dragon eye.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 22, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »

Yummy.  I like the attention to details-like the sugar/salted glass.
As a matter of fact, that glass looks magical.  Like it is balancing itself on a petrified dragon eye.

Gotta have the salt.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 63   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Tonight's dinner selection:

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.