Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Tobacco snobs unite!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tobacco snobs unite!  (Read 7528 times)

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
Tobacco snobs unite!
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:25:37 PM »

Seems like tobacco is quickly going out of fashion. All the nic users are switching to e-cigs, and that's great for them. To hell with those gluesticks they call "cigarettes" these days. But what about those of us who actually enjoy fine tobacco - cigars, pipes, all natural tobacco - for its own sake? I feel like I'm a minority within a minority.

So, here's a thread for talking about fine tobacco. Post your favorites, your reviews, your recommendations.

P.S. Anyone who thinks that "tobacco tastes like mud" just hasn't tried the good stuff. If the best cigar you've ever had was a Dutch Masters or La Finca, you don't know what a cigar is. ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:27:10 PM by MacFall »
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Tobacco snobs unite!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:30:19 PM »

I'm going outside now to smoke a Nat Sherman Oval. It's an unfiltered, hand-rolled cigarettello.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »

I haven't smoked my pipe in a couple years now I think. I never smoked beyond a monthly or less often pipe or cigar anyhow.

I don't miss it. Made my mouf taste like shit the next day. Yes, even with good stuff.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:41:43 PM »

That's about as often as I smoke a pipe or cigar, but I smoke a couple Nat Shermans a week.

I agree about the mouth aftermath, though I've found a that putting honey and cinnamon in very light saltwater helps take care of that. Gargle half and drink the rest.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 12:40:49 AM »

Ever tried growing your own? Cant be too hard, and the leaves are massive arent they? Simply dry and shred? (Im guessing).
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 12:43:18 AM »

I haven't, mostly because I live in town and have nosy neighbors. But if I ever have access to some land I'm going to try. It will probably have to be Connecticut tobacco to grow here in Western PA, which isn't my favorite, but I've had some good cigars made from it.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 12:20:59 PM »

I'm going outside now to smoke a Nat Sherman Oval. It's an unfiltered, hand-rolled cigarettello.

MCD

But the ovals have no filter so they're not littering.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 01:05:38 AM »

Used to smoke a lot of cigars way back when, until I got my hands on some Cubans. They were so good, I basically quit smoking after them. Every alternative would have been terrible by comparison.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 01:21:35 PM »

oh really...  You can tell the difference between a Cuban cigar and one grown and rolled in the Dominican Republic from the same strain of seeds exported from Cuba a generation ago?  Bullshit.  The only thing so extra special about Cuban is it's illegal.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »

It could have been a very well-aged Cuban from a while ago. It was the soil in Cuba, as well as the seeds, that made Cuban tobacco so special. The Commies sucked all the life out of the soil through agricultural mismanagement, though, so Cuban-grown tobacco isn't anything to brag about anymore. Dominican-grown tobacco from Cuban seed is excellent, but I think that true Cuban cigars are a thing of the past.

In any case, I have had some Dominican Cuban-seed cigars and anything by Rocky Patel, who buys most of their tobacco from Honduran and U.S. growers, beats them hands down, in my opinion. These days it's more about the preparation of the leaf and the construction of the cigar than anything else since so many growers have gotten their hands on Cuban seeds.

There are still some outstanding cigars on which to spoil yourself, though. Patel makes a few of them. Fuente Fuente Opus X is another one. Or for a really, really good Dominican/Cuban there's the Fonseca Cubano Limitado. Partagas also does some great things with Cuban seed.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:00:51 PM by MacFall »

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 11:05:58 PM »

oh really...  You can tell the difference between a Cuban cigar and one grown and rolled in the Dominican Republic from the same strain of seeds exported from Cuba a generation ago?  Bullshit.  The only thing so extra special about Cuban is it's illegal.

I never said I could.

My experience with cigars before the Cubans were a bunch of shitty cheap cigars I would get from gas stations.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »

There are much better cigars than the gas station variety that you can get for less than Cubans. See the recommendations in my last post.

BonerJoe

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:42:27 PM »

The Cuban Romeo y Julieta I had back in 2001 was the best cigar I have ever smoked. It was so balaced.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 03:11:23 AM »

I had four cigarettes.  First in a hundred and three days.  Now having a fifth.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 03:30:08 AM »

I had four cigarettes.  First in a hundred and three days.  Now having a fifth.

So how'd they taste to you?  They seemed so much more enjoyable to me after going over a month without one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Tobacco snobs unite!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.