Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  This is why teachers should have guns in the classroom.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This is why teachers should have guns in the classroom.  (Read 6884 times)

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
This is why teachers should have guns in the classroom.
« on: December 14, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »

Right?
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Brooklyn Red Leg

• The Red Legged Devil
    • View Profile
Re: This is why teachers should have guns in the classroom.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »

Can't stand Israel, but at least their teachers are armed.

Of course, just having an armed staff is not enough. You really need Security-in-Depth to keep your charges safe.
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Er_Murazor's KoLWiki Page

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »

It's my belief that according to state law, children and adults are legally allowed to carry at all schools in NH unless it is a private school and the school bans it. There is some debate as to whether federal law bans students and adults from carry at schools in NH and no one has pressed the issue so we aren't really sure what the courts would do.

I cannot think of any particular issue that makes it a good reason or not.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 10:59:23 PM »

Thats not a deterrent to someone who plans to kill themselves.  Its a challenge.

The simple fact is, most educators would not carry a firearm - whether they are allowed or not.  Being involved in a great number of school events, I meet a lot of teachers on an adult level.  They're not the gun carrying types, generally speaking.

I think teachers carrying guns would pose two major problems - the Unions, and a bunch of miscellaneous firearms floating around, ripe for theft, may go unchecked for years.

Unionized teachers carrying guns to protect students would make the salaries jump dramatically, and it would invite more douchebags into the teaching profession.  Imagine the worst teacher you ever had.  Now, imagine that dick with a S+W .357 short strapped to his belt. 

Secondly, schools are notoriously sloppy with procedures.  They're empty all summer, and often vandalized.  If a school had an arsenal, a vandal would have a legitimate reason to burglarize the place. 

Is it possible for them to do it right, maintain protocols?  Yes.  Is it likely?  No.  The additional training and responsibility would be disastrous, and probably do more harm than good.

These people need to be smart, not well armed.  They are, after all, academics.

The "airlock" is probably the best way to go.  Sallyports have been in use in secure facilities for hundreds of years, and are essentially foolproof. 

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 04:22:57 AM »

Its usually only after one of these disasters that I think to myself, "Man, if only one of these teachers had a weapon, he/she could have at least possibly gunned down the bastard before he killed 28 people. Maybe it would have only been 5 or 6."

I'm not interested in the deterrent. Psychos are gonna be psychos. Its the defensive aspect of protecting these kids from psychopaths with guns that I'm interested in. The sally port thing would work too. Either one is fine with me. Sure, it would require some level of responsibility, but I think that would come with time and people getting used to the idea of having that responsibility until it just becomes second nature.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 04:29:09 AM »

It's my belief that according to state law, children and adults are legally allowed to carry at all schools in NH unless it is a private school and the school bans it. There is some debate as to whether federal law bans students and adults from carry at schools in NH and no one has pressed the issue so we aren't really sure what the courts would do.

There is no debate as to whether Federal law prohibits firearms on public or private school property.

I can tell you exactly what would happen..  In the event that a LEO wanted to make you miserable, or the rules of engagement were demonstrated upon you, for whatever reason...

You would be crushed in Federal court, if you civ dis'd it.  You would do major time in a Federal prison.  

If you don't believe me, take a gun onto the front lawn of a school.  Any school.  Sit down, plop your fuckin pistol down beside you, and wait for the big show.

Quote from: some asshole
Title 18, United State Code, Section 922, subsection (q) is the Gun Free School Zones Act. You can’t have a gun in, on the grounds of, or within 1,000 feet of the property line of, an elementary or secondary school, whether public or private. (Note that this doesn’t include colleges or universities.)

This federal “Gun Free School Zones Act” is unpopular, and some people prefer to believe that New Hampshire’s carry licenses provide an exemption, despite [...] analysis. Further, nobody in New Hampshire has been arrested or prosecuted on the basis of this federal law. Still, you have to ask yourself if you want to be the test case.

So, to summarize: state law prohibits you from carrying in courtrooms and courthouses; federal law, though controversial, “technically” puts you at risk of arrest and prosecution for carrying in federal buildings (including post offices) and in or near elementary or secondary schools.

I think, what's happened up to this point, demonstrates the NH mentality of minding your own business.  People probably open-carry all the time, picking up their kids and so forth, and other people ignore it, because they're used to seeing it, and they evaluate you on a case-by-case basis.  If you appear to be no threat, and a reasonably responsible looking citizen, they probably welcome it... However, I believe this is about to change dramatically.

My intuition tells me there is soon to be a sea change, and we will probably start seeing Federal Marshals spot-checking public areas, and coming down hard on infractions.  These busts, circulating through the news cycles very publicly, will satiate the public outcry for gun reform, while simultaneously upholding existing laws without creating new ones.  

With the Federal government in financial dire straits, and 270* million guns circulating through the population, you can be sure the Feds would be more than happy to start churning people through their system.  The laws are actually pretty clear, from a Constitutional standpoint.  It is not a violation of the Second Amendment, the case having been argued at the SCOTUS in 2008 in District of Columbia vs. Heller, and revisited in 2010 in McDonald vs. Chicago, upheld with the 5-4 ruling, with the dictum stating the following: "The plurality decision also reaffirmed that certain firearms restrictions mentioned in District of Columbia v. Heller are assumed permissible and not directly dealt with in this case.[23] Such restrictions include those to "prohibit...the possession of firearms by felons or mentally ill" and "laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms"

Thats the Supreme Court saying that.  Twice.

So, I think we're into the murky area of law, way up the food chain.  Where the NRA lives, AKA, Defenders of the Boomstick.  I've had the machine gun argument.  I've had the escalation argument.  I've had the nuclear argument.  The biological weapon argument.

There is a line.

*I find that hard to believe, as well.  I think its an understatement.  I'll betcha theres at least two guns for every living person.

Stop thinking about stabbing yourself in the cunt with a crucifix.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 04:33:19 AM »

Its usually only after one of these disasters that I think to myself, "Man, if only one of these teachers had a weapon, he/she could have at least possibly gunned down the bastard before he killed 28 people. Maybe it would have only been 5 or 6."

I'm not interested in the deterrent. Psychos are gonna be psychos. Its the defensive aspect of protecting these kids from psychopaths with guns that I'm interested in. The sally port thing would work too. Either one is fine with me. Sure, it would require some level of responsibility, but I think that would come with time and people getting used to the idea of having that responsibility until it just becomes second nature.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 04:41:55 AM »

Did you know, in 1927, in Bath, Michigan, some dude went bigtime asshole?

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 04:51:52 AM »

I am bad at punctuation. 

I didn't mean to infer you're an asshole, because you're clearly not.  There were locusts, and vampire bandits who reposition my tools.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Ski Killington

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 06:59:10 AM »

Entrust State agents and indoctrination factories with more guns, fences, and cameras :?:

Nah, caring parents best answer...

Homeschool Your Child For Success By Homeschooling Them

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 07:52:23 PM »

Did you know, in 1927, in Bath, Michigan, some dude went bigtime asshole?

This is true.

Back in 27, some guy up there snorted some shit that made him go berzerk. They had no idea what it was, but witnesses claimed it looked like salt. Since they were in Bath, MI they decided to name it "bath salts".

True story

MOOG Schaefer Beer Commercial

Looking from outside

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 08:31:34 PM »

The "airlock" is probably the best way to go.  Sallyports have been in use in secure facilities for hundreds of years, and are essentially foolproof.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I heard  that school had a "buzz in" system. Also it seems that the office had a view on that entrance so they could see who was buzzing to come in. What the killer did was simply shoot through the glass door window(?) and then walked in.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »

I think the reasonable point is that a defense-free zone is an invitation. It might be a good idea not to have a legislated invitation.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 01:23:28 AM »

There is no debate as to whether Federal law prohibits firearms on public or private school property.

He is what happened. The federal government passed a law against it. The court throw out that law. The federal government came up with a much less encompassing law. That law doesn't apply in most places. However, since the gun laws are so lightly restricted in NH, there is some debate as to whether it applies in NH.

In NH, some towns don't have cops. So a police chief cannot issue carry permits. So the selectman have to do it. That is the issue in question. No person and lawyer combination has bothered to test the law in NH. I think the gun groups are staying away from it because they don't want to lose in court.

That's how it was explained to me, anyway. I see that some asshole might have explained it slightly differently to you. Either way, I'm not going to be a test case, but I'm pretty certain some teachers carry in NH.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:26:41 AM by One two three »
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  This is why teachers should have guns in the classroom.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 31 queries.