Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Things I like about this forum
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Things I like about this forum  (Read 12594 times)

AL the Inconspicuous

Things I like about this forum
« on: February 14, 2010, 06:10:10 AM »

It seems that certain vocal individuals have an occasional (seemingly random) need to arouse a lynch-mob against me and my purposeful eccentricities, and I will not deny the existence and validity of my emotional response to their efforts: I feel hurt, insulted, and betrayed.  Those feelings have resulted in or exacerbated the many mood-swings I've had about the "liberty movement" in the past, but, having had sufficient time to observe and analyze those behavioral patterns, I've come to recognize the need to respond to their criticism constructively - admit wrongdoing and adjust my behavior in any instances where I am wrong, and continue to stand up for myself in the instances where I am right.

To a casual observer my willingness to repeatedly expose myself to such mindless abuse may seem like an advanced stage of masochist derangement, or at least lack of awareness that this is not the only social Web-site of its kind that's available for my contributions.  I most certainly could refocus my activities on any number of other sites, or easily start my own, but I believe that I have a number of reasons for continuing to use this forum as my primary base of operations, rational as well as emotive:

• A few less vocal people here from time to time actually do appreciate what I have to say.

• Giving in to bullies often encourages more bullying, and running away only encourages them to find other victims.  A culture of ideological isolationism would reduce our movement to tiny groups of people, each boiling in their own juices - that's not what Free Talk Live is about!  This BBS can be big and flexible enough to encompass us all!

• I know of plenty of other libertarian sites, but their distance from the FSP community is their disadvantage, and most of them are quite small.  With ~320 average posts per day, this is one of the most popular libertarian forums on the Internet.  Compare that to other FSP-related forums where the daily average is 84, 47, 27, or [error] posts.  Yes, a large fraction of the posts here are pretty stupid, but the amount of valuable content on this forum should not be belittled.  The seriousness level of a forum can change over time (and for my part I've been doing everything in my power to help make this forum a better place), but what probably won't change is this forum's size advantage, as FTL continues to pick up new stations and podcasting is becoming more popular every day!

• Anything I post on this forum is quickly spidered by Googlebot and dozens of other major search engines, in addition to the backup efforts by this site's administrators (who presumably understand the value of this content), as well as anyone else who runs remote topic loop scripts through this forum for backup purposes (as I do).  Simply venting on a tiny site in a dark corner of the Internet would not achieve this level of content proliferation and search engine exposure, which means it's now a lot more difficult for Big Brother to "disappear" them into the memory hole.

• Just as earth's gravity controls the moon the moon's gravity affects the earth a little bit, and my contributions of content to this forum (including links from other forums) also result in more people coming here, trying the podcast, and perchance adjusting their ideology for their and everyone else's betterment.  Posting my rants on a smaller site would reduce their search engine attractiveness, and I doubt any site could ever match the per-visitor ad revenue of the massive sidebar we now have on the right, which I know goes to a cause I agree with.  (Or at least I assume it's still there, I have everything AdBlocked.)

• I have a pragmatic side, a nerdy side, a nutty idealistic side, a stupid side, a lewd side, a tangential experimental side, etc - and so does this forum.  In fact this forum is the only place where I've been able to express every aspect of my complicated personality -- including some very nasty things -- without being stifled.  I appreciate that, and I believe that in time my need for self-expression has become more tame.  I don't mind experiencing the same from other people, which I can always simply ignore.  The psycho-therapeutic value of this kind of self-expression should not be underestimated!

• My aforementioned "mood swings" have identified a certain technical phenomenon on this forum that has a number of tactical benefits, ranging from trivial to potentially tremendous.  I'm talking about "cycling accounts", whereby the old account and all its posts become frozen (perfectly accessible but invulnerable to manipulation if the security of my account was ever compromised), while the new posts continue without a hard legally-recognizable link to the past.  Yes, this annoys a few vocal individuals (and usually not the 0-2 people that have me on ignore), but, as I've pointed out numerous times before, this maneuver is much less disruptive than "nick hopping" (which I almost never do except for technical circumstances beyond my control, and never simultaneously or deceitfully).  This allows me to use my real name online, but with some level of plausible deniability for any specific post(s) after I've cycled accounts.

• Another reason to keep using this forum is simple inertia - I have many threads of thought here, and I can revive them whenever I feel the need.  (Some people don't like "necroing", but most don't mind, and I've never heard a rational argument against it.)  Furthermore, I have a lot of sentimental attachment to this forum.  FTL was a major influence that helped finally resolve my political and philosophical confusion (Bush derangement syndrome?) several years ago, and started me on the challenging but nonetheless rightful path I am on today.  I used this forum the day my father died...  the day I quit my job, the day I got rid of my car, the days I had to spend living in cheap motel rooms, the days when I've experienced some very vile addictions, and so on.  I know saying this is contrary to the strategically-beneficial aura of emotional invulnerability that most people try to project, but this forum is a significant part of my life, and I value it dearly.

So, well - I wuv ya guys, and you ain't getting rid of me that easy!   :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:33:49 AM by Alex Libman »

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Things I like about this forum
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 08:59:53 AM »

Libman you're cool in my big tent circus of cool.

dc0de

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »

I'm mostly just a lurker. I like and appreciate your posts.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:39:58 PM »

A little long winded to say you are a person who has every right to post to this bbs.   I don't agree with everything you post but I defend your right to post it even if I may end up ignoring it.

Corey "Cizzle" Moore

• View Profile
    • http://vordshow.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 05:13:13 PM »

Yeah I find your posts somewhat interesting, but remember dude, its just a forum.
Voice of Radical Dissent with Corey Moore at http://vordshow.com

Bill Brasky

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 09:00:50 PM »

A little long winded to say you are a person who has every right to post to this bbs.   I don't agree with everything you post but I defend your right to post it even if I may end up ignoring it.

The only person who has a right to post on this forum is the owner. 

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »

I agree.  I don't have a positive Right to post on this BBS in any legal sense (i.e. Natural or contractual law).  Our disagreement is of a purely social nature, of whether I deserve to be called a "troll" and/or ostracized, and which characterizations about my past and current behavior are true.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:51:20 PM by Alex Libman »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »

Libman:

Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:57:48 PM »

It's interesting that on the site where this image is hosted it's used to illustrate the need for accurate performance feedback - a problem we also share.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 12:00:04 PM »

The only person who has a right to post on this forum is the owner. 

By phrasing it as, "every right," it was implied that he has as much right as any other non-owner of the bbs to post.  I was not affirming a positive right that supersedes the owners rights.  Other individual non-owning members of this bbs have the responsibility of ignoring him.  That is why the hell the ignore button feature was included on this bbs in the first place.   Before that we had the NSFW thread title which proved to be inadequate.  The point is grow some skin take responsibility for your own actions and stop crying to the bbs owner to remove people.  Within the scope of privilege to which the owner extends to individual posters I will defend a posters right to post. 

Since drifter does not seem to have a grasp of implication, I will attempt to be more explicit in the future.  I suppose I was being optimistic in thinking that people were intelligent enough to understand implication.  Attempting to keep post length short will be even more difficult.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 02:43:19 PM »

It's interesting that on the site where this image is hosted it's used to illustrate the need for accurate performance feedback - a problem we also share.

Interesting indeed since I just got that image off of a google-image search for "keep up the good work!"
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 09:36:20 AM »

Boobies are a reason to like this forum.   :P
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 10:34:53 AM »

Boobies are a reason to like this forum.   :P

WELL PONY UP WOMAN !!!!
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »

As a recently-converted asexual I neither encourage nor discourage Lindseypr0n, but I'd just like to remind her the strategic benefits of making it an AMP-only feature.  :lol:

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »

As a recently-converted asexual I neither encourage nor discourage Lindseypr0n, but I'd just like to remind her the strategic benefits of making it an AMP-only feature.  :lol:

Haha.  Thanks for the tip.   :P
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Things I like about this forum

// ]]>

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 33 queries.