Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Tunisian revolt spreads to Egypt
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Tunisian revolt spreads to Egypt  (Read 15176 times)

cavalier973

• You can't take the sky from me
    • View Profile
Re: The Tunisian revolt spreads to Egypt
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 11:37:08 PM »

http://sarthanapalos.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/a-guide-how-not-to-say-stupid-stuff-about-egypt/

"The past few days I have heard so many stupid things from friends, blogs, pundits, correspondents, politicians, experts, writers that I want to pull my hair.  So, I will not beat around the bush, I will be really blunt and give you a handy list to keep you from offending Egyptians, Arabs and the world when you discuss, blog or talk about Egypt.  Honestly, I would think most Progressives would know these things, but let’s get to it."

and the article continues....
For God and Free Trade

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 01:01:18 AM »

* “Mubarak kept the peace treaty”: So, what do you think, if the Egyptian people choose another government, they will go to war with Israel?  Maybe they will demand a few more things from Israel in how they negotiate with the Palestinians.  Maybe Gazans will get better treatment?  Maybe the balance of power will not be tipped over to Israel?  Egypt protests: Israel fears unrest may threaten peace treaty.   Hmm, so we should support the oppression of 80 million Egyptians for a false stabilization?

* “If they get Democracy they will elect extremists”.  Imagine if the world said that about America.  The Tea Party threatens world stability, as did the Bush administration.  How would you like if others used that as a threat to support an autocrat who made all opposing parties illegal?  In truth, US politics threaten world stability more than Egypt does.  Second, the implication is that democracy is not to be trusted in the hands of “certain” nations, people and religions is offensive, racist and ignorant.  You do not claim to value human rights, democracy and freedom and then you make exclusions based on race, nationality and religion.  Don’t say this shit.

Those aren't self evidently stupid things to say, at least not in the same league as the rest.

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 01:54:31 AM »

* “Mubarak kept the peace treaty”: So, what do you think, if the Egyptian people choose another government, they will go to war with Israel?  Maybe they will demand a few more things from Israel in how they negotiate with the Palestinians.  Maybe Gazans will get better treatment?  Maybe the balance of power will not be tipped over to Israel?  Egypt protests: Israel fears unrest may threaten peace treaty.   Hmm, so we should support the oppression of 80 million Egyptians for a false stabilization?

* “If they get Democracy they will elect extremists”.  Imagine if the world said that about America.  The Tea Party threatens world stability, as did the Bush administration.  How would you like if others used that as a threat to support an autocrat who made all opposing parties illegal?  In truth, US politics threaten world stability more than Egypt does.  Second, the implication is that democracy is not to be trusted in the hands of “certain” nations, people and religions is offensive, racist and ignorant.  You do not claim to value human rights, democracy and freedom and then you make exclusions based on race, nationality and religion.  Don’t say this shit.

Those aren't self evidently stupid things to say, at least not in the same league as the rest.

Yes they are.  In the past week a lot of motivations have been foisted on Egyptians.  I haven't heard anyone actually on the ground say anything but, "Mubarak must go."  Note, that is very different from, "Mubarak must be replaced."

Terrorcrats are falling all over themselves to get in front of this bandwagon, but they don't (or refuse to) understand that it is hundreds of thousands of people standing in the cradle of civilization clamoring for the evolution.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 04:40:12 AM »

Yes they are.  In the past week a lot of motivations have been foisted on Egyptians.  I haven't heard anyone actually on the ground say anything but, "Mubarak must go."  Note, that is very different from, "Mubarak must be replaced."

Terrorcrats are falling all over themselves to get in front of this bandwagon, but they don't (or refuse to) understand that it is hundreds of thousands of people standing in the cradle of civilization clamoring for the evolution.
you just said a whole lot of nothing
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »

Next time I will use small words, just for you. ;-)
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 10:14:38 PM »

Your second paragraph was a whole lot of nothing, the first one was just wrong, "Mubarak must go" just means "we haven't decided who we want to replace him with", not "ooh, we are suddenly flowery anarchist types for no discernable reason."

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 10:28:34 PM »

Agreed.  I've seen no evidence whatsoever that any individual in Egypt is an anarchist.  I'm sure there's a couple.

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »

I'm sure this will turn into a French Revolution type event. There is potential for alot of good, but it's all gonna be thrown to shit with an even worse ruler.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 12:13:21 AM »

Your second paragraph was a whole lot of nothing, the first one was just wrong, "Mubarak must go" just means "we haven't decided who we want to replace him with", not "ooh, we are suddenly flowery anarchist types for no discernable reason."

How wild that you can discern the intentions of millions based on feelings contrary to their statements.  Randi will give you $1M to demonstrate that.  Just remember who told you when it comes to the finder's fee.

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 12:15:09 AM »

Agreed.  I've seen no evidence whatsoever that any individual in Egypt is an anarchist.  I'm sure there's a couple.

What would you accept as evidence?

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 01:06:27 AM »

Someone stating it explicitly.  It's reasonable to believe there are some anarchists in Egypt.  It's not reasonable to believe the majority or even more then 1% of the people in the street in Egypt are anarchists when that's not the case anywhere else in the world.  No doubt they want their current government gone.  Of that we can be sure.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 01:12:28 AM »

I read they might want some protest leader guy to be next, but I think that was just postulating on the behalf of the media. Who knows if the guy will even survive the protests anyway.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2011, 10:13:22 AM »

Odds that these people will come come to the conclusion "Hey, you know what? We dont need a ruler or a leader, well do just fine governing ourselves." ?

Zero %

Kinda makes the whole discussion about whats happening there pointless doesnt it?

Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »

Doubtful it will be an anarchist revolt.

Mubarak seems to have been kept in power due to the involvement of the US to the detriment of the Egyptian people.  It has to be acknowledged that it is the fault of USA foreign policy which helped to maintain the Mubarak dictatorship.  Rather than pressuring for democratic republic mostly due to fears about how the Egyptian people would vote.

All the corruption has created a larger problem than how a secular Egypt would have voted on various issues over the past few decades.  Once the people reach a breaking point the change will be far more unpredictable and violent.

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »

Among the protester demands:
Life
Liberty
Dignity
Higher Minimum Wage
End to rocketing food prices

Whoever foisted those last few on there should facepalm themselves..

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Tunisian revolt spreads to Egypt

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.