Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Tax Resister Diet
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Tax Resister Diet  (Read 72220 times)

Alex Libman

Re: The Tax Resister Diet
« Reply #240 on: August 02, 2010, 09:58:10 AM »

No longer having me as their top natural predator seems to have affected bovine behavior in some unexpected ways...  This documentary footage was shot on a ranch from where I used to purchase my steaks:

[youtube=640,385]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FavUpD_IjVY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FavUpD_IjVY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

:shock:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:11:04 AM by Alex Libman »

Alex Libman

« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2010, 12:08:29 AM »

From Commiedot -- Kids Who Watch Popeye Cartoons Eat More Vegetables --

Popeye cartoons, tasting parties, and junior cooking classes can help increase vegetable intake in kindergarten children, according to new research published in the journal Nutrition & Dietetics.

Researchers at Mahidol University in Bangkok found the type and amount of vegetables children ate improved after they took part in a program using multimedia and role models to promote healthy food.  Twenty six kindergarten children aged four to five participated in the eight-week study.  The researchers recorded the kinds and amounts of fruit and vegetables eaten by the children before and after the program.

I think growing your own food or buying it from local farms (where the kids can help out during the picking season) might have the same effect.  People can form much stronger psychological relationship with their food - imagine being able to tell which tree or bush each piece of fruit came from by taste alone!  Yet another great reason to start a backyard veggie greenhouse / orchard / etc - fun for the whole family, and the kids will be more motivated to eat what they help grow!

mrapplecastle

• autonomist
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 17, 2010, 11:10:05 PM »

I watched popeye as a kid, and always liked spinach, I even been to the manufacturing plant in arkansas where I took a photo with the giant statue of popeye they have there.
On a side note I had spinach in my lunch today, and for tomorrow...bean burritos!

*What about potatoes? Everybody likes potatoes, the irish basically lived off them right? I think I've heard russians are quite found of them too.  :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:25:03 PM by mrapplecastle »

Alex Libman

« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2010, 08:37:59 AM »

Potatoes are a guilty pleasure because they're only 8% calories from protein, the rest being pretty low-ranking junk-carbs.  On most days I'd rather fill my allowance of junk-carbs on bread or fruit (meaning in a popular rather than botanical sense, excluding fruits like tomatoes which are commonly thought of as vegetables).  Good bread has ~2 times more protein than potatoes (or even more if you add soy / legume flour), and a few fruits have as much protein as potatoes or more (oranges 8%, peaches 9%, apricots 12%, cantaloupe 12%, and my favorite fruit: lemons 13-16%).  Those fruits do a lot more to add variety to a bean-centric diet than potatoes do.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:40:12 AM by Alex Libman »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2010, 01:15:34 PM »

Perhaps you should grow some pepper varieties. There are many different flavors of peppers (sweet to hot) and if you use small amounts you can make every meal taste different. Or just an herb garden. Get some basil, chives, and mint and you can cover just about any dish.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Alex Libman

« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2010, 04:38:43 PM »

Yeah, I use lots of dried herbs and spices, from Mexican to Italian to Ukrainian to Korean.  I also use a lot of pickled things in my cooking - ginger and especially garlic are my specialty.  I like baking things into / onto my bread, literally dozens of different ingredients, including various herbs and seeds.  I'd like to rediscover my Russian roots with more pickled mushrooms, though I don't have the time to shop for things anymore.  I once used more vinegars, teas, and wines in cooking, but I no longer do.  There were a ton of different ethnic stores back in Jersey, but now that I live in the middle of nowhere I like to keep things simple.  I also don't use any oils, fish sauces, faggy vegan substitutes, etc.

As for growing stuff myself - yeah, that's a long term goal...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:40:22 PM by Alex Libman »

mrapplecastle

• autonomist
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2010, 06:35:55 PM »

What about peanuts? I've also heard a lot about how good hemp seed is supposed to be for you, you should be able to cultivate both of those pretty easily, especially the latter.

Alex Libman

« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2010, 06:28:35 AM »

Peanuts are too fatty, not particularly tasty, and not as nutritionally beneficial as avocados (yum!), olives, and seeds.

Plus the Agriculture Department has a hard-on for subsidizing peanuts for some reason, as if we're all protein-deprived Filipino children.  Do not want!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:30:32 AM by Alex Libman »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #248 on: August 31, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »

Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Alex Libman

« Reply #249 on: September 01, 2010, 12:16:05 PM »

You rule, anarchir!  Great blog also.

Thank you very much - nothing in the world feels better than to be understood.  Of course this thread is a mess of injected discussions about dumpster diving and eating bugs, etc, but thus is the nature of online forums.  My "trolling" is a part of a brainstorming process, which I hope will eventually evolve from forums to a site once my ideas solidify.  (AlexLibman.com hasn't been up in like a decade.)

I've stuck to this diet about 95% (5% being tea and occasional cigs) to 100% from October to June.  For some reason black tea turned out to be the most addictive substance in my universe - I still drink tons of it every day.  I occasionally smoked a pack of cigarettes just out of the blue, like one pack every couple of months, but now I've quit for good - but I can't quit tea.

From around June, I've stick to it about 90%.  I found this diet easier to stick to at wintertime, when large portions of hearty pea soup or a spicy bean stew always satisfy, but by late spring I was eating less legumes and more carb junk (i.e. fruits), and I felt I wasn't getting enough protein, so I've decided to include a little "unlicensed" fish.  (Protein percentages are probably less important than I make them out to be, so my main rational excuse was that my eyes became more sensitive to light, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't due to absence of a natural animal-based vitamin like D or B12 - seems like it wasn't.)  Yup, I've wrestled those "sea kittens" out of a local "public" lake all by myself, and the only "license" I have is a suspended driver's license from New Jersey (for which they wanted a zillion dollar fine the last time they knew where I lived).  :roll:

So now I'm getting ready to go for 100% again, having redefined the rules to allow tea.  Anything can be grown in greenhouses, obviously.  Tea isn't the most productive use of greenhouse space in terms of nutrition (its antioxidant properties are mostly hype compared to leafy green veggies), and I thought it was sexy to be able to say "I only drink water", but I just can't make that work.  Herbal teas with lemon also don't work - I needs my black tea.  I guess it's the caffeine.

mrapplecastle

• autonomist
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2010, 08:13:43 PM »

I've read this thread once but forget, so I wanted to ask, have you started baking your own bread yet?
I plan on doing this pretty soon, I'm unsatisfied with the bread available to me at grocery stores, not because of quality but because all the shit thats in it.

Alex Libman

« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »

I didn't, only because I know a local Ukrainian lady who bakes awesome bread, and I've been her #1 customer for about a year now, helping her tinker with the recipes (ex. mixing in nut and legume flours, etc).  Specialization of labor FTW!  I hope the same will apply to growing stuff as well.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Tax Resister Diet

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.