Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Suicide Thread
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Suicide Thread  (Read 5423 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
The Suicide Thread
« on: November 24, 2011, 06:32:35 AM »

Its a taboo subject in our culture, and treated in the most unhealthy way possible.

People largely view anyone wanting to commit suicide as crazy, and cannot conceive of a situation where they have a legitimate case for wanting to end their own life.

I think that there are a lot of legitimate reasons for ending ones own life that don't necessitate intervention. I have always thought that I would rather be dead than quadriplegic, or locked-in.

Talk, talk.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: The Suicide Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »

What if you had an accident and you were nothing but a head, maybe some arms? That might be something id consider.

First, a bottle of asprins to get the blood really thin so it flows nice and easy. Then, a razorblade to the jugular and wrists, lengthwise. Enjoy the blood sprinkler.

Happy Thanksgiving, kids!!!

Doug Stanhope on Suicide
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:12:05 AM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »

Its a taboo subject in our culture, and treated in the most unhealthy way possible.

People largely view anyone wanting to commit suicide as crazy, and cannot conceive of a situation where they have a legitimate case for wanting to end their own life.

I think that there are a lot of legitimate reasons for ending ones own life that don't necessitate intervention. I have always thought that I would rather be dead than quadriplegic, or locked-in.

Talk, talk.
Suicide is a terrible thing.  I can think of only a very few circumstances where it would actually be appropriate, and none of them apply to anyone in the general populace.  Not to mention that it is totally against the commandments of our religion.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 03:58:14 PM »

Talk, talk.
Suicide is a terrible thing.  I can think of only a very few circumstances where it would actually be appropriate, and none of them apply to anyone in the general populace.  Not to mention that it is totally against the commandments of our religion.

Not killing and not coveting your neighbors property are "commandments" also.  You see how well those are obeyed (especially by the State).

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »

Talk, talk.

Not killing and not coveting your neighbors property are "commandments" also.  You see how well those are obeyed (especially by the State).
Hey look those people are committing immoral acts!  That means its okay if I do it too!
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

nikkidarling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:13:39 PM »

High fives for the Stanhope clip!!!

I get so irritated when I hear people complain about how "selfish" it was for the person to commit suicide, yet they pretty much ignored the person when they were alive.  I've had 3 friends commit suicide, and while I am so thankful I wasn't the one to find them, I never once made it all about myself and cried that it was selfish for them to "leave me".  People have their reasons and I feel that while we can be there for them while they are still alive, but we can not force them to do anything.  Of course I was sad, but I'm not going to tell someone what to do....or tie them up so they don't do it, or worse yet, call the police.

A friend's Mom was living in a different state and called him depressed and threatening to kill herself.  My friend called the police in her local town. 3 hours later she called him from a jail cell claiming they broke her front door and pepper sprayed her, cuffed her and shoved her into a cruiser.  *True Story.  This is one reason why you shouldn't call the police on a mentally unstable family member threatening to harm themselves..... It will just make their life harder and when the State gets involved, the person risks never being able to get a job again because they now have a record, a forced 72 hour hold under their belt, and might been seen as "crazy" hone having to explain the any criminal record associated.

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 12:35:32 AM »

Talk, talk.

Hey look those people are committing immoral acts!  That means its okay if I do it too!

Well if you are going to prevent suicide because of an imaginary book then the States power to covet your property in the form of taxes must be prevented because of the same imaginary book.  That argument should drive the religious right batshit.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 01:49:11 AM »

Talk, talk.

Well if you are going to prevent suicide because of an imaginary book then the States power to covet your property in the form of taxes must be prevented because of the same imaginary book.  That argument should drive the religious right batshit.
Do you make nothing but specious arguments?  Putting a good idea into a book does not make it into a bad idea.  And the concept of suicide being immoral has nothing to do whatsoever with governments or taxes.

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 03:36:31 AM »

Talk, talk.

Do you make nothing but specious arguments?  Putting a good idea into a book does not make it into a bad idea.  And the concept of suicide being immoral has nothing to do whatsoever with governments or taxes.

Dude you were the one to bring up the religious commandments.  Don't talk at me about specious.  I was with you right up until that point. 

I see making a claim that something should be done or not done based on ANY magic book (Bible, Torah, Koran) is a cop out.  Discuss actions (or lack of) in terms of morals, or ethics, or their impact on others but not some magic book that others may not believe in.  While I think many here would say that people should have the ability to suicide I will say that it leaves a huge impact on those loved ones left behind.  That being said I have a DNR as I do not want to be kept alive by machine in the case of brain death.

This is not aimed at you but I do find it humorous that the many of the people that scream the loudest about Shiaria law coming to the US are the same people that think it right and proper for the Bible to be the basis for law and insist that the Founding Fathers set up a Christian country.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 03:57:04 AM »

Santa said no more gifts if I commit suicide.

Been against suicide ever since.

Think about it.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 08:18:37 PM »

Like with a lot of libertarian gray zones I usually resort to my point of view as a parent coupled with my love of the NAP.
If one of my kids was seriously messed up physically or suffering horrible pain or was about to be tortured and so offed themself, I would consider it heroic.
I like to think I would rather be dead then be a burden or a weapon against people I care about.
I am not a huge fan of retired people who want to live forever on the backs of generations under so they can watch game shows and bitch.
In other words for a real hard reason I would commit suicide or help someone else as much as I could to do so. I don't care to suffer or watch someone else do so.
Let me say though, that when a young healthy person gets depressed and kills themself, I feel very sad. Life is precious, as in expensive and valuable.
So listen up you little shits....
Some chick cared enough about your life to pack your ass around for 9 months and then most likely spent a lot of money to get help either painfully squeezing you out or going through surgery to get you here.
Most likely at least one relative sacrificed a great deal of time and sure as hell a lot of money to raise you.
At shitload of termanally ill people would do anything to have your health.
Killing ones self for no hard reason is a insult to everyone.
Dale from Prometheus Unchained once said something really smart, (at least I thought so) something about how if one is really contemplating suicide why not just radically change how you live? I mean what does one have to lose?

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »

As long as a person isn't taking care of kids or a severely handicapped spouse, doesn't have an debt and has enough money to pay for the funeral/possible legal issues, suicide is an OK action.  Suicide is best when the person gets inside a large, thick bag on their property and dies.  Ideally, the person will have completely prepared for the suicide.  Financial records and such will be in order.  Perishable food will have been thrown out and the garbage can will be empty.  Any pets will have already been given away.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 06:42:23 AM »

Talk, talk.

Yup, its against our religion, but I want to see what others have to say.

I also read about horrible accidents in the news often enough to sympathize with a person who wants to kill themselves. I don't take the approach that everyone who wants to kill themselves is mentally ill because from their perspective, it just might be the rational thing to do, and not a product of mental disorder.

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »

Talk, talk.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Why is it that all the loud atheists also come across as aspies?

Sean, did you consider that The Admiral was talking to me?

-Dennis Goddard

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 06:46:46 AM »

Nikki, welcome to the board!

Too bad that woman who wanted help now is forever banned from gun-ownership and will forever have her mental health questioned. What a sucky situation.

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Suicide Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 31 queries.