Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 434688 times)

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #1305 on: February 18, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »

Why is it that so many libertarians are obsessed with disaster scenarios that will almost certainly never occur, barring some catastrophic natural disaster that wipes out most of humanity?  The opportunity cost of preparing for such things seems to far outweigh any expected benefit.

I dont know if I fall into this description, but I do believe we are in for some major changes in the structure of this country in the next few years. Im not talking about a Mad Max scenario where everyone is eating dogs and siphoning gas out of wrecked cars and all that nonsense, but I really think the system the way it is set up now is doomed to have a falling out.

When you have a system that has been built on bullshit go on for that kind of extended length of time, something bad is bound to take place when it can no longer sustain itself. The transition period for this might get a little messy. The pension and welfare queens that believe they are protected are going to be the first ones to realize what kind of a mess we're/they're in. Do you really think this subsidized economy can unravel itself without any kind of pain for the people who sponge off of it? I dont. Interesting times ahead, thats for sure.

Just sayin'.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: February 18, 2011, 10:30:23 AM »

ditto

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #1307 on: February 18, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »

Why is it that so many libertarians are obsessed with disaster scenarios that will almost certainly never occur, barring some catastrophic natural disaster that wipes out most of humanity?  The opportunity cost of preparing for such things seems to far outweigh any expected benefit.

I dont know if I fall into this description, but I do believe we are in for some major changes in the structure of this country in the next few years. Im not talking about a Mad Max scenario where everyone is eating dogs and siphoning gas out of wrecked cars and all that nonsense, but I really think the system the way it is set up now is doomed to have a falling out.

When you have a system that has been built on bullshit go on for that kind of extended length of time, something bad is bound to take place when it can no longer sustain itself. The transition period for this might get a little messy. The pension and welfare queens that believe they are protected are going to be the first ones to realize what kind of a mess we're/they're in. Do you really think this subsidized economy can unravel itself without any kind of pain for the people who sponge off of it? I dont. Interesting times ahead, thats for sure.

Just sayin'.

Also, dont forget it has happened to other countries from which we can take example from. It is preparing for an economic collapse and reset. Simple as that. We need to look at making sure that we are not experiencing a normalcy bias about the situation and are able to plan for a likely scenario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

Heres the blog of a guy who survived the Argenina 2001 Economic Collapse:
http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

And a great post by him:
http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/thoughts-on-urban-survival-2005.html
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: February 18, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »

Yeah, I'm of the opinion we're in for a "new normal," and it's not hyperbole.

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 19, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »

Why is it that so many libertarians are obsessed with disaster scenarios that will almost certainly never occur, barring some catastrophic natural disaster that wipes out most of humanity?  The opportunity cost of preparing for such things seems to far outweigh any expected benefit.

Did you just now not in fact bunch me into the same category with the "obsessed" ones? Did you just now in fact come from a collectivst frame? If that was an implication that I'm obsessed, because looking at the evidence it sure do looks like it, yes you are, because I'm not obsessed with that. My proof? Because I say so, got it?! I know ME better than you. Do you know me? No you don't. You've read at the top 15 posts that you know come from me, because I know I've made max 15 posts on this forum. To even think that you somehow can even begin to make correct assumptions or conclusions about me.

Look Mr Meister. You tried to "analyze" (you didn't follow the correct procedure of analysis, if you had even thought of the correct proecdure you'd realise you don't have enough info about me to justify an analysis) me.

Now I'm going to make my own analyze of YOU, if not for the point to show you how your post make me feel, and it's going to be based on more science than yours. Am I saying this is 100% true? No. See I'm just assuming, imagining, in my head, without labeling you as this. You labeled me, or at least the evidence points to it.

This is what I'm thinking you were thinking when you read my post:
"Ok, someone who is talking about gold. Ok he needs some information about gold. Do I have any useful information to post in reply to say about that or what I guess he was meaning? No. Something actually relevant? No... hmm... what if....what if gold~fiat money~bitcoins. Yes! This gives me the excuse to promote bitcoins. Because I think bitcoins is a good idea, I want to spread it to as many people as possible! I want them to realize how GOOD this idea is! It will change the world SO MUCH!

What did I base this on, where's my evidence? In your profile it says "bitcoins evangelist". This implies that you see yourself in the role as the bitcoin evangelist. What does an evangelist do? Preech. Again, not saying anything of this necessarily is true. See that's the difference between you and me, buddy.

Furthermore BonerJoe, which is a global moderator, replied "would you please stop that shit", probably because he was annoyed (since you've been "spamming" this idea in other threads or this thread already)

In you're profile it says "Evangelist". Who is the one obsessed with an idea?

Where's your evidence? What did you base your "conclusion" (you made it into a conclusion in your head), which really is an opinion on?

Why do so many people posting on internet forums make assumptions, which they then in turn, through some kind of mysterious magic, make into a conclusion?  

And yes I know about bitcoins already, ok?. Did i say that I wanted to buy gold or bitcoins? Are you trying to help me or not? It doesn't seem like it. Don't make statements and "help" someone if you're not sure you know what kind of help they need or want. Capisce? If I was interested in someone helping me with bitcoins, I'd ask for it. Or I read all about it, because that information I know where to find.  

Look, ask yourself, what value did you add with your post? Did you add more than you took? Or did you in fact decrease the value, because you created slight annoyance within both me and BonerJoe? Is annoyance a negative feeling? Yes, yes it is. What does this mean? Does this mean that you are a valuetaker in other relationships of your life? If so, ask yourself, "Do I want to be a valuetaker, or a valueadder?"

Look, listen, hear me out, if your goal is to spread the idea of bitcoin and you know bitcoins is a good idea, good for you. I'm not critiqing that.

When your first impression on me is poor, which it was, and rightly so it actually acts AGAINST your intention of spreading the idea of bitcoins. Why? I think you know why, but I'm spelling it out, just in case. It makes me associate bitcoins to a negative feeling, to a bad impression, to bad behaviour. Are you a bad person? Was it bad behaviour? If this texts resonates with you in any way that's a clue what I'm saying might be true.

If so I'm advicing (yes I'm the one giving the advice this time, and it is genuine, [yours wasnt]) you, because I'm pretty good at understanding frames and understanding people, I have a way of getting into their heads, maybe you noticed,
reflect on what you were thinking when you wrote that post, and what just happened when you read this post.

Why did I just spend a couple of minutes on this post? What's my motivation? You have shown evidence contrary to the premise that mine and yours relationship would be meaningful in any way, that it would add value to both participants (win-win).

If what all I said was true and this post makes you change your behaviour slightly, or even realise something new about yourself, it was worth it for me, that's my motivation. Because we are all in this libertymovement (making the assumption that you share the major points and goals of the movement) together. We need to be better than the statists, we need to love each other, even them.

The choice is up to you, I can not make it for you, nor do I want to. Even if I could through some kind of sick mind control, I wouldn't. The statists would, if a chip was invented that could make a choice inside the human brain, or change choices when it detects it's a choice that the government doesn't like, they would try to implement this chip on all the slaves on the planet. Not in their own brains though, although they would make all the slaves believe they also have this chip and the same configuration.    

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:17:14 PM by Bradley »

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 19, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »

What the fuck?  I think you have somehow combined Terror Australis' post with mine (as I have never talked about, much less advocated, bitcoin).  That was a nice, crazy rant though.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 19, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »

Is it wrong for me to get all hot and bothered when I hear music like this? It's just so hot! And where can I find more of it? I love slide guitar. I wanna do a road trip down south.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PADfOighk4k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0fEWekE2P0&playnext=1&list=PL4CD4FAE8D37A4733

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZdyblPuJeY[/youtube]

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #1312 on: February 20, 2011, 07:38:49 AM »

Why is it that so many libertarians are obsessed with disaster scenarios that will almost certainly never occur, barring some catastrophic natural disaster that wipes out most of humanity?  The opportunity cost of preparing for such things seems to far outweigh any expected benefit.

Did you just now not in fact bunch me into the same category with the "obsessed" ones? Did you just now in fact come from a collectivst frame? If that was an implication that I'm obsessed, because looking at the evidence it sure do looks like it, yes you are, because I'm not obsessed with that. My proof? Because I say so, got it?! I know ME better than you. Do you know me? No you don't. You've read at the top 15 posts that you know come from me, because I know I've made max 15 posts on this forum. To even think that you somehow can even begin to make correct assumptions or conclusions about me.

Look Mr Meister. You tried to "analyze" (you didn't follow the correct procedure of analysis, if you had even thought of the correct proecdure you'd realise you don't have enough info about me to justify an analysis) me.

Now I'm going to make my own analyze of YOU, if not for the point to show you how your post make me feel, and it's going to be based on more science than yours. Am I saying this is 100% true? No. See I'm just assuming, imagining, in my head, without labeling you as this. You labeled me, or at least the evidence points to it.

This is what I'm thinking you were thinking when you read my post:
"Ok, someone who is talking about gold. Ok he needs some information about gold. Do I have any useful information to post in reply to say about that or what I guess he was meaning? No. Something actually relevant? No... hmm... what if....what if gold~fiat money~bitcoins. Yes! This gives me the excuse to promote bitcoins. Because I think bitcoins is a good idea, I want to spread it to as many people as possible! I want them to realize how GOOD this idea is! It will change the world SO MUCH!

What did I base this on, where's my evidence? In your profile it says "bitcoins evangelist". This implies that you see yourself in the role as the bitcoin evangelist. What does an evangelist do? Preech. Again, not saying anything of this necessarily is true. See that's the difference between you and me, buddy.

Furthermore BonerJoe, which is a global moderator, replied "would you please stop that shit", probably because he was annoyed (since you've been "spamming" this idea in other threads or this thread already)

In you're profile it says "Evangelist". Who is the one obsessed with an idea?

Where's your evidence? What did you base your "conclusion" (you made it into a conclusion in your head), which really is an opinion on?

Why do so many people posting on internet forums make assumptions, which they then in turn, through some kind of mysterious magic, make into a conclusion?  

And yes I know about bitcoins already, ok?. Did i say that I wanted to buy gold or bitcoins? Are you trying to help me or not? It doesn't seem like it. Don't make statements and "help" someone if you're not sure you know what kind of help they need or want. Capisce? If I was interested in someone helping me with bitcoins, I'd ask for it. Or I read all about it, because that information I know where to find.  

Look, ask yourself, what value did you add with your post? Did you add more than you took? Or did you in fact decrease the value, because you created slight annoyance within both me and BonerJoe? Is annoyance a negative feeling? Yes, yes it is. What does this mean? Does this mean that you are a valuetaker in other relationships of your life? If so, ask yourself, "Do I want to be a valuetaker, or a valueadder?"

Look, listen, hear me out, if your goal is to spread the idea of bitcoin and you know bitcoins is a good idea, good for you. I'm not critiqing that.

When your first impression on me is poor, which it was, and rightly so it actually acts AGAINST your intention of spreading the idea of bitcoins. Why? I think you know why, but I'm spelling it out, just in case. It makes me associate bitcoins to a negative feeling, to a bad impression, to bad behaviour. Are you a bad person? Was it bad behaviour? If this texts resonates with you in any way that's a clue what I'm saying might be true.

If so I'm advicing (yes I'm the one giving the advice this time, and it is genuine, [yours wasnt]) you, because I'm pretty good at understanding frames and understanding people, I have a way of getting into their heads, maybe you noticed,
reflect on what you were thinking when you wrote that post, and what just happened when you read this post.

Why did I just spend a couple of minutes on this post? What's my motivation? You have shown evidence contrary to the premise that mine and yours relationship would be meaningful in any way, that it would add value to both participants (win-win).

If what all I said was true and this post makes you change your behaviour slightly, or even realise something new about yourself, it was worth it for me, that's my motivation. Because we are all in this libertymovement (making the assumption that you share the major points and goals of the movement) together. We need to be better than the statists, we need to love each other, even them.

The choice is up to you, I can not make it for you, nor do I want to. Even if I could through some kind of sick mind control, I wouldn't. The statists would, if a chip was invented that could make a choice inside the human brain, or change choices when it detects it's a choice that the government doesn't like, they would try to implement this chip on all the slaves on the planet. Not in their own brains though, although they would make all the slaves believe they also have this chip and the same configuration.    

Wat - the - fuck ?????

User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #1313 on: February 20, 2011, 07:41:47 AM »

I want to prepare if the dollar is crashing. Most of my capital is in another currency, but if I know the governors of that currency they will lend their currency to the american govt, thus decreasing the value of my money. I want to buy gold to protect myself. I'm not prepared yet to go to the same degrees of measures that Sam did, ensuring self sufficiency and all that, and having my own gold vault (?) , that would be quite some gold.

Which company can I trust best that if the crash occurs they will hold my gold beholdent to me and not "give" to a government? Are there any counter-measures being taken by some companies that makes me as a customer trust them? Will they be able to protect it from robbers? Be it the military or civilians. If you have more knowledge than me, which makes you better able to predict the future, which company do you think fits best for what is going to happen?  Which company should I choose?  What should I do? As you can see I have a lot of questions about this, so if you know another resource I should turn to (book, another internet forum, etc), which one? Can anyone point me in the rigth direction?

http://bitcoin.org 

Would you please stop that shit.

Wat

User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

yamnuska

« Reply #1314 on: February 23, 2011, 09:59:55 PM »

Because they are stupid enough to think they will just happen to be some of the few who will survive. I see a lot of libertarians as the Sheldon guy off of the Big Bang Theory.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 23, 2011, 10:56:18 PM »

Because they are stupid enough to think they will just happen to be some of the few who will survive. I see a lot of libertarians as the Sheldon guy off of the Big Bang Theory.

Another good point (about thinking you'll survive such an event).  If the world essentially ended and I had to survive on the leftover rubble of civilization, I'd probably use any gun in my possession to shoot myself.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: February 24, 2011, 01:27:35 AM »

Another good point (about thinking you'll survive such an event).  If the world essentially ended and I had to survive on the leftover rubble of civilization, I'd probably use any gun in my possession to shoot myself.
That's sad.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #1317 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:23 AM »

Another good point (about thinking you'll survive such an event).  If the world essentially ended and I had to survive on the leftover rubble of civilization, I'd probably use any gun in my possession to shoot myself.

The fuck?

Will Smith and Charlton Heston both did it. You saying they're better than you?

Come on man, have some pride.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:56:03 AM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #1318 on: February 25, 2011, 10:26:32 PM »

Another good point (about thinking you'll survive such an event).  If the world essentially ended and I had to survive on the leftover rubble of civilization, I'd probably use any gun in my possession to shoot myself.

The fuck?

The people get into the survivalism, but in the wrong way. They should plan for possible local disasters (tornado, floods,etc) and personally I believe an Economic disaster. What it seems they dont understand is that not all SHTF scenarios are the same, and an economic disaster doesnt mean chaos.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

yamnuska

« Reply #1319 on: March 02, 2011, 03:05:43 AM »

The fuck?

The people get into the survivalism, but in the wrong way. They should plan for possible local disasters (tornado, floods,etc) and personally I believe an Economic disaster. What it seems they dont understand is that not all SHTF scenarios are the same, and an economic disaster doesnt mean chaos.

Yes, I think we will see prison and labour camps before we ever see a Mad Max type scenario. I often wonder just how little shit needs to hit the fan though before a total collapse happens. Sometimes I think naughty thoughts of the human race, that we would go ape shit on each other, especially after I travel to messed up African ountries, I mean really, are we that different from that situation? I don't think so. Roving armed gangs forcing unarmed statist dipshits to be their slaves is a real possibility.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 32 queries.