Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 434451 times)

Rillion

• View Profile
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #1110 on: August 22, 2010, 04:13:17 PM »

Mine's rather warped from being rolled up for a long time:

That silver on the bag is part of a stamp from when the leather was cut....I liked it, so left it on.  

There are obviously a lot of improvements that could be made with the next one.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:27:54 AM by Rillion »

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 27, 2010, 01:12:09 AM »

We had a bunch of French and Mexican students transfer into the school recently, and it makes me wonder:

Why are foreigners so faggy?
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Stoker

« Reply #1112 on: August 27, 2010, 09:02:30 AM »

We had a bunch of French and Mexican students transfer into the school recently, and it makes me wonder:

Why are foreigners so faggy?

They are probably just trying to fit in with American society.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 31, 2010, 03:35:42 AM »

obviously you havent watched the philosophy of liberty video
http://www.isil.org/resources/philosophy-of-liberty-english.swf

Well, duh.

Saw it. Still have some reservations about it. Not what I would call a scholarly work either.

Maybe this subject needs its own thread.

I apologize, in advance, for coming of mean here, but here goes anyway.

It sounds a bit pretentious to call for "scholarly work". If you really care about the topic of liberty, I'm sure you will find plenty of sources from which to read, study and perform exegesis (exegesi?). If you want to discuss particular weaknesses in an argument then do so, but appeals to authority are unnecessary.

Not initiating force is simple. Not indicates the negative. Initiation means to produce the beginning or cause of action. Force is the only portion that really admits of ambiguity. I would say that it would be best to refer to force as causing action upon another that is unwelcome.

The other week, I was reading Nietzsche, and when he started on slave mentality, I got mad at myself. I have had zero accidents, and one ticket in 7 years of driving, and in every way I read myself into the part about the whole slave thought thing. I jumped into my car, and drove home from the cafe at double the speed limit, blowing every stop sign on the way. Man was I pissed.

Same books mentions Schopenhauer and how he too was an anarchist. I'll read him when I find the time.

I'll also start a thread on this later.

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

avshae

« Reply #1114 on: August 31, 2010, 08:02:17 AM »

Which is faster electricity or light?

I think it depends on the medium.

Blackie is correct. Light and electricity both travel as electromagnetic waves. Therefore in a void they would both travel at the speed of light C=300,000Km/sec. Through materials they travel slower, depending on the electrical properties of the medium. For example on a stock PCB (printed circuit board), electricity travels at around C/3.

Stoker

« Reply #1115 on: September 01, 2010, 10:23:39 AM »

Blackie is correct. Light and electricity both travel as electromagnetic waves. Therefore in a void they would both travel at the speed of light C=300,000Km/sec. Through materials they travel slower, depending on the electrical properties of the medium. For example on a stock PCB (printed circuit board), electricity travels at around C/3.

The Speed of Light as currently defined is based on circular reasoning and assumptions. There is no proof that this is the highest attainable speed, or if it is, exactly what that speed might be. The approximate speed you are quoting is a fairly accurate empirical observational measurement relating to our very limited perspective. It is quite possible that Light (and other radiations) behave completely differently in different conditions, many of which we cannot duplicate or even observe. There are new observations and experiments showing that the currently stated Speed of Light is either wrong, or that it is not the highest attainable speed.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 01, 2010, 01:30:21 PM »

The Speed of Light as currently defined is based on circular reasoning and assumptions. There is no proof that this is the highest attainable speed, or if it is, exactly what that speed might be. The approximate speed you are quoting is a fairly accurate empirical observational measurement relating to our very limited perspective. It is quite possible that Light (and other radiations) behave completely differently in different conditions, many of which we cannot duplicate or even observe. There are new observations and experiments showing that the currently stated Speed of Light is either wrong, or that it is not the highest attainable speed.

I remember reading an article a decade ago where they were able to "slow down" light to about 39 mph.

Avshae, any chance we will see fiber-optic circuit boards in the future?

-Dennis Goddard

avshae

« Reply #1117 on: September 02, 2010, 07:17:39 AM »

Avshae, any chance we will see fiber-optic circuit boards in the future?

Currently network information typically travels over a medium such as copper or fiber, (or electromagnetic waves in the air, which is a different story), until it reaches a network node such as a switch or end-point, such as your modem at home. There it is converted into digital electrical signals for processing, which is done on a system which resides on a circuit board. From there it might be reconverted and retransmitted over fiber/copper/wireless.

So, you are asking, will it be possible to skip the conversion to electrical and do the entire processing optically. Well there are definitely people working on it, but it'll take years of research before computation in optics will be able to do what transistor-based processors are able to do today. MEMS (Microelectromechanical systems) might be the key. MEMS researchers try to do stuff like fabricate miniaturized motorized directional mirrors on a silicon die, to do computation in optics. Fascinating stuff for your PhD research.

mrapplecastle

• autonomist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 15, 2010, 01:41:36 AM »

Do farts have lumps?  :?

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 15, 2010, 03:54:11 AM »

Do farts have lumps?  :?

only the stinkiest ones
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

BonerJoe

« Reply #1120 on: September 15, 2010, 04:19:39 AM »

I imagined as a kid some farts coming out like blowing a bubble, with a semi-opaque pearlescent brown sheen to them.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 15, 2010, 04:36:09 AM »

I imagined as a kid some farts coming out like blowing a bubble, with a semi-opaque pearlescent brown sheen to them.

Holy crap me too.

-Dennis Goddard

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 15, 2010, 07:06:27 AM »

So, currently in VirtualBox I have WinXP, Win7, and Mythbuntu VMs.

What's some interesting crap I can screw around with? Interesting OSes?

Libman seemed to be extremely wet for DragonFlyBSD so I'm gonna check that out, I also remember talking with some people who swore that BeOS was *the* OS for them.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: September 15, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »

Holy crap me too.

Odd, me too. Apparently that's the intuitive way children imagine farts.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 15, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »

I once farted at my mother while naked (at age 4 or something, shaddup) and asked her if that was the case.  When she said no, I was very disappointed.  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:16:49 PM by Rillion »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 33 queries.