Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432585 times)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #720 on: January 30, 2010, 08:28:22 PM »

How does your online persona differ from your real-life persona?

I'm more agreeable in real life :)

Aside from that, I'd say I'm pretty similar.  I don't really try to put off a different persona online than I do in real life.  I say I'm more agreeable in real life because I would rather stay friends with people in real life than be "right", at least most of the time.  There's much less personal connection to people I only know through online mediums.

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 31, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »

When I get angry, I start turning green and become increadibly strong. Most of my arguments end with me yelling out "CAL DAVE SMASH!!!! RRRRAAAAHHHH!!!"

Then my wife has to buy me a new shirt.  :?
Pocho

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 31, 2010, 11:19:44 AM »

I swear more in real life.

I swear less in real life. 

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 31, 2010, 11:37:15 AM »

Tough.  I try to make my online persona in the BBS as close to "me" (that's why I sign w/ my real name, my avatar pic is one of me, etc...)  I think the main difference is going to be that my body language, look on my face and tone of voice is missing here - which because I have no inner monologue, tends to play poorly when people say ignorant things in my general direction.

My team of developers that I lead often call me, "the jerk/asshole (affectionately - because they realize my personality directly makes their jobs easier)" - with the two terms used interchangeably, and that's because especially at work, I say what I mean, mean what I say and if something is stupid or a person has demonstrated themselves as being incompetant I have zero compunctions with proclaiming as much.

However, I'm still just as verbose in real life.
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 01, 2010, 03:38:11 PM »

I think I tend to come of angry in this board. I talk the same in real life, but it is easier to see sarcasm and a smile in real life so I come off a lot more personable. I'm quite a regular guy (a bit gregarious) and I feel safe saying that if I sat down for a coffee or a beer with anyone here, we would get along famously.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

davann

« Reply #725 on: February 01, 2010, 03:56:31 PM »

In real life I am Ellen DeGeneres.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 01, 2010, 06:03:20 PM »

I knew it!  :lol:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #727 on: February 02, 2010, 01:58:15 AM »

I knew it!  :lol:

Well, I guessed the gender wrong, but the haircut correctly.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 02, 2010, 02:07:26 AM »

The person's car alarm went off again today when I slammed my truck's door.  :shock:
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 02, 2010, 10:24:27 PM »

Not a question, but an answer...and a very thorough one: How to poach an egg.  It covers several different methods, but I've done the recommended one a few times and can definitely vouch for it. 

blackie

« Reply #730 on: February 02, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »

I've never had a poached egg, and I'm glad.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 02, 2010, 11:09:56 PM »

I never thought I could deal with the runny yolk thing....ate exclusively scrambled or hard boiled eggs until I was 25 or so. Then one morning a friend made me an egg over easy on a toasted English muffin with bacon and cheese.....holy bejeezus.  Mouth orgasm.  Changed my whole perspective.  A poached egg can achieve the same effect, and if done correctly can be the easier, cleaner, and (most importantly) tastier option. 

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #732 on: February 02, 2010, 11:11:54 PM »

I cant stand egg (like eating melted rubber YUCK) but I need to make them at my job.

What is your method for boiling an egg (or more than one)?

I've heard many ways, and many of the recommended "work every time" ones suck.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 02, 2010, 11:29:51 PM »

I cant stand egg (like eating melted rubber YUCK) but I need to make them at my job.

What is your method for boiling an egg (or more than one)?

I've heard many ways, and many of the recommended "work every time" ones suck.

For the longest time I thought the best method was to get the water to a boiling point and then add the egg(s), and leave them in there for 20 minutes or so.  But recently I watched a video on raising and cooking chickens and eggs which said that the best method is to not actually allow the water to boil, but to come just short of it.  This allows you to basically steam the eggs if you want a more creamy, less rubbery texture to them.  Eggs are notoriously hard to cook well.  When they want to mess with the contestants on Top Chef, they tell them to cook eggs.  But it takes time and trial and error to do properly....which is probably exactly why they would demand that people do it in a cooking competition. 

Note: I am no chef....not at all.  I just know what tastes good to me.  I think a soft-boiled egg in an egg cup is less than optimal, yet that's what a lot of European restaurants serve standard for breakfast. 

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 02, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »

I never thought I could deal with the runny yolk thing....ate exclusively scrambled or hard boiled eggs until I was 25 or so. Then one morning a friend made me an egg over easy on a toasted English muffin with bacon and cheese.....holy bejeezus.  Mouth orgasm.  Changed my whole perspective.  A poached egg can achieve the same effect, and if done correctly can be the easier, cleaner, and (most importantly) tastier option. 

Poached and over-easy eggs are the way to go.  The runny yolk has so much more flavor than it does when it's hard.  It is definitely a mouthgasm.  I've never heard of wrapping the egg in plastic wrap, and I'd be slightly worried about it melting, particularly if the plastic hits the side or bottom of the pot for any length of time.  I usually try to keep the water just above simmering heat, add a bit of vinegar, and break the egg very gently into the water.  It works decently when done properly, but it's never perfect.  I'm intrigued by the plastic wrap thing.  Maybe I'll try it :)
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.