Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432691 times)

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #660 on: January 14, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »

Wow that was a lot of words.  I'm glad to have you back even if I'm yet to read one of your posts since returning cuz they are all far too long for me.

A fair point - and one that you are not the first to make, and likely won't be the last.  In that mind, I'll place concessions first, elaborations next.

And I didn't mean to insinuate anything about your level of chastisement.   

Excellent. Exactly my point in my earlier post.  You do see how it could very easily be read this way, don't you?

For my part, I apologize for incorrectly assuming the worst even if it was for only a moment.

I wasn't even really talking to you even though I used your handle.

That's the tricky thing about using someone's name/handle when posing a question:  They tend to think the question is directed at them.

And no.  I meant true things.  Doesn't care if they say true things, Doesn't care if they say untrue things.  Means the same thing.  How about, doesn't care about the truth of what they say, the truth of what they say in unimportant to them etc.  I mean really, you needed to include that little nitpick.

It was not a nit-pick, apologies if it seemed so.  What I was doing was assuming you meant the point that was most compelling to your cause from my point of view.  There's a reason I chose the untrue tac rather than what I now realize was your originally intended construction.  Your construction, through the mention of "true things" implies to the reader (me) that the person says things that are true to a point that it is worth mentioning.  If we are to talk about "truth" as that which is objectively verifiable and quantifiable (fact) - then whether or not a person has an emotional attachment to the truth they speak, or indeed that they are in fact speaking the truth is irrelevent.

Because it's the truth - and therefore truth is always worth at least listening to.

Conversely, when changing the sentence to "untrue things" - the inverse connotation applies:  the individual speaks untruths or falsehoods to the extent that it must be mentioned (i.e. more than a couple by a bunch).  With this reading, it a far more compelling point that if the person does not care or have an emotional attachment to the fact that they are speaking falsehoods - then this person should be largely ignored.

Summary: It was not me being malicious or looking for "easy points" against you, I was simply looking to respond to the best possible point you made that I could infer.

Peace keeping efforts... I appreciate it but I disliked her long before she claimed in one post that her remark was in response to Blackie and later confessed to having falsely attributed Blackie's comment to me when making that same remark and then pretended as if the words she says can be at all relied upon.

Fair enough, but I said previously it's context and information that I am unaware of, and would therefore be imprudent of me to use as context for judgment.

That's a great idea about making it protracted, maybe I'll stalk her posts for awhile and point out how she's full of shit.  She probably usually is, I don't much read them in general.

Fair enough.  I nor anyone else can prevent you from doing otherwise if you choose to do so.  My only question to this is: Is the vindictiveness and time/emotional investment really worth it to you?

I'm awfully bored here these days and I do think she's a callous holier than thou cunt with far more moral flexibility than qualifies one as an honest person.
I'm pretty sure she already knew that. 

Again, these are your personal feelings which are 100% fine and acceptable for you to have - even if they are 100% true or 100% off-base.  Personally, I don't even think it's a bad thing for you to let her know that you don't like her.  I think the honesty is far better than smiling through your teeth.

With that said, at some point, I have to imagine there's a point of diminishing returns.  When I read statements like the above, I just can't help but ask myself if this is how you deal with all issues where conflict arises.  My guess is, obviously, no - the Internet and a BBS allows the individual some liberties that generally are not considered acceptable in a more corporeal social context.  I guess my only point here is that on this BBS, where (at least the last time I was here) issues and points of view are often debated - I would be extremely reticent to engage in a protracted discussion of a potentially controversial nature if I have a good suspicion that should it turn south this is what awaited me.

If you're REALLY bored you can find every time over the years someone has suggested that I'm being deliberately untruthful and see that it pisses me off a LOT.  It's quite an explicit request to meet angry Royce.

Understandable. I don't know many people who enjoy being called a liar - explicitly or implicitly.  As I said in my previous post - both of you used ad hominems.

At this point, I see that during writing this that you have already posted another response - and I think that further involvement on my part here would be inappropriate.  I will summarize that I still maintain the belief that there has been some mis-interpretation of some of the original quotes on your part - and that happens, so it's not really a mark of right/wrong.  Similarly I think Rillion has at least 1 misinterpretation, which I mentioned previously as well.

I also still think the veracity of the vitriol (perhaps on the part of both parties) is unfortunate.
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 14, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »

Memo to Ecolitan, since he didn't get it the first time:  I am not taking you seriously.  I am laughing at you, because you took a misunderstanding about IQ and turned it into a burning tower of rage and then accused me of trying to pick a fight, and that's hilarious to me.   Probably not good for your health, though, so you might want to smoke a joint or something. 

davann

« Reply #662 on: January 14, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »

I might have asked this before. If so, I must not have gotten an answer.

Is it bigoted to only accept medical services from people that can clearly speak English if you live in the U.S.?

My thinking is that my health is far to important to trust that the dude from India was able to to get through medical school with only a basic grasp of English with out some how gaming the system. Or maybe he was trained in some far inferior country. Either way, it has to be an issue with the English speaking staff.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:09:04 PM by davann »

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 14, 2010, 07:18:22 PM »

I might have asked this before. If so, I must not have gotten an answer.

Is it bigoted to only accept medical services from people that can clearly speak English if you live in the U.S.?

My thinking is that my health is far to important to trust that the dude from India was able to to get through medical school with only a basic grasp of English with out some how gaming the system. Or maybe he was trained in some far inferior country.

Yes and no.

No - it is not bigoted to accept medical services only from people that speak your language.  That's common sense - what happens if you have questions?  What happens if the Interpretor says something you don't understand. 

In on regard having a translator/interpretor just adds one extra-step for dealing with issues.  When I lived in Japan, I had to research to ensure my doctors spoke English to a degree that I was comfortable with for this reason - it was also another reason that I had to bone up on my Japanese.  However, sceintific/medical Japanese is extremely difficult, and something I would still consider myself illiterate in to this day.

Yes - it is bigoted to accept medical services only from people that speak your language because of some of the reasons you're citing:

...my health is far to important to trust that the dude from India was able to to get through medical school with only a basic grasp of English with out some how gaming the system.

This is likely improbable since English is an official language in India, my guesses are an Indian that spent approx. 11 yrs in college in the US is unlikely to not being able to speak English fluently.

Even if he/she didn't speak English fluently, your conclusion that they "some how gamed the system" is ultimately unprovable and overgeneralized.  Sure some doctors might have, but probably not all.

Or maybe he was trained in some far inferior country.

I'm assuming you mean the Medical Schools in <India> are far inferior, correct?  This is possible, but at the same time an over generalization/categorization.  A similar statement might be as follows:

"All High School graduates who went to public school are inferior to those who were privately schooled."

Sure, it might be true for a good portion of individuals, but it is certainly not true of all.
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 14, 2010, 11:17:20 PM »

Medical schools in India are not bad at all.  I have been considering going to one eventually.  And yes, they are typically taught in English from what I understand.  I just really am not interested in living in India.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #665 on: January 15, 2010, 12:20:21 AM »

Medical schools in India are not bad at all.  I have been considering going to one eventually.  And yes, they are typically taught in English from what I understand.  I just really am not interested in living in India.

A lot of Indians come here for their education, and it costs a lot more. 

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 15, 2010, 11:51:55 AM »

Advertise 'em as talismans to ward off the sickeningly evil-sweet soccer moms, for cool moms only to hang from the rear-view mirror of their Ram Quad Cab or similarly non-wimpy kid-hauler.    "I retain the right to refuse sale to soccer moms with e-mail names that make me want to barf"  $5 each, 3 for $10

You'll sell 'em by the bushel basket.

I agree, except the price point is too low.  Make them $7 each and three for $18.  I'm not even a mom and I'd buy one. 

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll need to figure out the pricing after I've tried making a couple. The last 3 animals I made went pretty quickly, during the LOTR New Year's Eve/Day marathon. I think the creepy cute creations might be a little smaller, so would go at least as fast, even with the greater detail. I'll take better photos before setting up shop, but I'm currently keeping track of which patterns/items work out pretty well on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89027102@N00/sets/72157623201737012/
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 15, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »

A lot of Indians come here for their education, and it costs a lot more. 
That is true as well.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 15, 2010, 07:37:51 PM »

Laetitia, if you created them with Organic Bamboo Thread, or other "greenie" type stuff, you may rouse a little more interest.

I know a gal who makes these little things, bought one for my daughter (Bunny & carrot). She loves it.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 15, 2010, 08:58:28 PM »

Is it ever a good idea to discuss your IQ or that of others on the internet?

That was rhetorical.  There's no need to answer.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 15, 2010, 09:35:33 PM »

Laetitia, if you created them with Organic Bamboo Thread, or other "greenie" type stuff, you may rouse a little more interest.

I know a gal who makes these little things, bought one for my daughter (Bunny & carrot). She loves it.

To some extent, yes. But the prices for supplies to able to put the organic label on a product are much higher, and I'd have to charge more. The etsy crowd will be sticklers for any little detail, and you don't want to get it wrong, or you get a bad reputation right off the bat. By going with upcycling and recycling, I have more flexibility, and can have a slightly higher profit margin. Plus, there's the added perk of me not needing "perfect", so I'm getting merchandise off the rack at goodwill that would otherwise have gone unsold. Doesn't matter to me if buttons are missing, there's a rip in the cuff, or a coffee stain at the neck... I can chop enough material out of it to make a doll or child's clothing item, which is a part of the treehugger code I am actually quite happy with. Environmentally aware doesn't have to mean moonbat; I'll settle for thrifty. Thrift has character.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 15, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »

Well when it's described like that, it sounds even better than organic!  :)
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 15, 2010, 09:46:07 PM »

Great stuff Joy

My question for the thread is:

Do you like Swing music?

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 15, 2010, 10:39:44 PM »

Do you like Swing music?

Yes, yes I do.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 16, 2010, 12:05:01 AM »

Do you like Swing music?

Yes, yes I do.
Awesome, I saw these guys tonight: http://www.myspace.com/thestilettosmusic

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.